Conductors?

Discussion in 'RLC' started by Ventress, Dec 16, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I see the AMS is getting ready to produce Technical Warrant Officers- they join with a degree and Leave Phase 1 as a LCpl, do 3 years become a Sgt. Then they will get WO status in about 6 years. They are giving them Conductor status!

(They are Lab Techs and Xray by trade)

2. Why are they going to be fully armed and dangerous with an orchestra? :wink:

3. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Nah, they'll walk down the back of the bus and ask for your ticket in the best traditions of the Corps. :lol:

4. ..or maybe they'll be sticking their fingers in electric light sockets...

5. You say status, that is not the same as being promoted into the rank - could you clarify that for me ?? Lcpl's straight from training is not new - the RMP have done it for years. 3 year Sgt's while unusual are nothing new. As for Conductor status - I can see no earthly reason for this, if true it is demeaning what the Conductor rank means (IMO).

Rank is normally indicative of a structure that requires someone to be in charge and so on, down the line. It probably typifies how little the Medical Services of today understand the Army traditions. It does of course beg the question of does the Army of today need its old traditions - there don't appear to be many of you left nowadays.

The Navy didn't do this to keep their Nuclear techies on submarines, they just paid them an enormous bonus on their salary and left them as oiks.

I don't have a problem with people wearing a rank on their arm, but I fear they will suffer ridicule when they are required to carry out the duties undertaken by other Warrant Officers.

6. Anyone who has been a conductor would be disappointed to hear that thier highly prized rank, bestowed on them, be watered down. Remeber these chaps are in limbo between the Officers and Warant Officers Mess, they are proper members of neither. Also, and I know this rubs the H. Div up the wrong way, but they are the senior WO1 in the Army, yes more that Acadamy S/Maj at sandhurst and Garrison S/Maj London Dist.

7. Anyone who has been a conductor would be disappointed to hear that thier highly prized rank, bestowed on them, be watered down. Remeber these chaps are in limbo between the Officers and Warant Officers Mess, they are proper members of neither. Also, and I know this rubs the H. Div up the wrong way, but they are the senior WO1 in the Army, yes more that Acadamy S/Maj at sandhurst and Garrison S/Maj London Dist.

8. Was that a cover version? :D

9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Cancel my last, the money manderins ( I always imagine large satsumas counting cash!) have stopped it. Currently awaiting new policy!

10. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

By Royal Warrant of 11 January 1879 a class of Warrant Officer was constituted to be denominated Conductors of Supplies and Conductors of Stores. Their position was to be inferior to that of all commissioned officers but superior to that of all non-commissioned officers.

So where do the RCT, RPC, RE and ACC come in? The rank had already been demeand in the amalgamation.

OK, so I'm a miserable ex RAOC soldier who begrudgingly wears the new effort of a cap badge. Bah humbug.:D

11. I've only just noticed you're reply, so i aplogise for my late reply. The source of the rank, while interesting, is now only of historic value. The fact is that with the formation of the RLC, the rank was spread across the whole of the Corps and in fact, if the revere of the rank is to be upheld, it would appear that the powers that be were not to be part of it - the first WO1 from the RLC to be promoted to Conductor was to be an ex-RCT WO1 Movement Controller. So it would seem that the MOD were not much interested in establishing an ex-RAOC line of succession, by tieing the rank to ex RAOC ranks or trade groups. The fact remains though that by tradition (and QR's), that the most senior Warrant Officer in the UK Armed Forces is a WO1 (Conductor) and perhaps we should be proud of our small part in that ???

12. General Melchett

Yes,

I agree, was having a fook the Corps moment.

Quite correct. Lets keep Conductor for the exclusive use of the RLC.

WEe suStain indeed.

13. Could I ask, if these blokes had a degree, would they not be pointed down the officer path?

14. Ah - well, to be qualified to be a Conductor, I think the basic qualification was to be a 2nd tour WO1 with some very impressive reports (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) - so by this stage, it was unlikely that RMAS would be a suitable outlet - especially as the guy concerned would in fact be senior to the Academy Sergeant Major. Some Conductors were subsequently commissioned on Short Service Commissions, but most remained in the rank until they left. I only know of one who subsequently went on to the Long Service List, but he is now out.

Degrees amongst the rank and file, while now quite common (in fact I know a guy who is still serving who has managed to get 2 degrees while serving in the Army), were not all that common at the time of the formation of the RLC. In fact, having an academic bent seemed to be a positive weight around your neck in the promotion stakes. CO's wanted soldiers around them, not teachers !!!

15. General Melchett

There have been quite a few Conductors from my trade. They seem not to have been offered a Commision as WO1 when the other WO1's in their peer group were. Conductorship a sweetner maybe? I do know of one who was a Conductor and is now a LE Captain still serving.