Conductors taking post as Officers

Queens Regulations 9.170(b)(2) state that:

A conductor or a staff sergeant major in the RLC is to act in the place of a subaltern officer when required. On all parades he is to take post as an officer, but is not to salute.

What is the origin of this, and why has it been retained in the contemporary army?

I remember reading something about a Conductor being an appointment tha falls between Warrant Officer and Comissioned Officer. I imagine therefore that if anyone mislaid a Subby (pretty easy apparently!) then the Conductor would take his place in the parade. As for not saluting, it is because he does not hold the Queens Commission.

It is retained in the Army as are many things, like having Colours and Regimental Badges...........it is tradition built up over 400 years. Plus in reality, who really cares, it doesn't affect much does it? 8O

Pigsick said:
I remember reading something about a Conductor being an appointment tha falls between Warrant Officer and Comissioned Officer. I imagine therefore that if anyone mislaid a Subby (pretty easy apparently!) then the Conductor would take his place in the parade. As for not saluting, it is because he does not hold the Queens Commission.

It is retained in the Army as are many things, like having Colours and Regimental Badges...........it is tradition built up over 400 years. Plus in reality, who really cares, it doesn't affect much does it? 8O
Wasnt the Conductor the very first Warrant Officer appointment in the British Army?

Auld-Yin said:
FFS. This has been done to death MANY times. use search and get all your answers. :shakefist: :pissedoff:
Is there any need for your ignorance. I know not of any such post and mereley asked what i thought was a fair question!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Jose said:
Auld-Yin said:
FFS. This has been done to death MANY times. use search and get all your answers. :shakefist: :pissedoff:
Is there any need for your ignorance. I know not of any such post and mereley asked what i thought was a fair question!
Surely I am not showing ignorance but wisdom. The ignorance (of a surfeit of previous posts on this subject) lies entirely with your good self. Now Right Turn and FO.

Mutter, mutter, "don't know why the CO's bother wi search engines" mutter, mutter, harrumph. Didn't happen in my day dontcha know.

From QRs

'Conductors RLC will take post at the near-side rear of formed troops. Prior to moving off as a body, the Conductor will shout "Hold very tight please, "ching-ching"!'

Auld-Yin said:
Jose said:
Auld-Yin said:
Surely I am not showing ignorance but wisdom. The ignorance (of a surfeit of previous posts on this subject) lies entirely with your good self. Now Right Turn and FO.

Mutter, mutter, "don't know why the CO's bother wi search engines" mutter, mutter, harrumph. Didn't happen in my day dontcha know.
Im wasting my time!

I believe the Coldstream Guards have a similar position. When on active service, a Number 13 Platoon is formed ,and it is commanded by a CSM.

gallahad said:
I believe the Coldstream Guards have a similar position. When on active service, a Number 13 Platoon is formed ,and it is commanded by a CSM.
Surely that should be "commanded by a WO2"? If he were a CSM he'd be 3 i/c in a company?

I've had a plt cdr before who was a WO2. Beats having a Rupert anyday. The only thing is you get away with less because a WO2 knows every trick in the book.

gallahad said:
I think extra platoons would be commanded by Staff Sargeants, The CSM still has a job to do at Company HQ.

In 1938, an extra rank of Warrant Officer Class III (WOIII) was introduced. The only appointments held by this rank were Platoon Sergeant Major, Troop Sergeant Major and Section Sergeant Major. The WOIII wore a crown on his lower sleeve (which is why all WOIIs switched to a crown in a wreath during this time period). The rank was placed in suspension in 1940 and no new appointments were made, holders carried on till being promoted to WOII or commissioned. But the rank was never officially abolished.

Latest Threads