Condemned Rifle - Advice on Disposal

Long story short: One of my rifles which, to be fair, has seen a lot of use over the 30 or so years I've owned it and had plenty of rounds put through it before I bought it has been described by a trusted Gun Plumber ( Who has no dog in he fight.) as being "More than ready to make an impressive mess of your extremities if you're very lucky."

I find myself inclined to agree with him as he spent a good 20 minutes taking me through the significant failures he'd found on inspection.

As this is happily a new experience for me what are my disposal options - surrender it to the plods and apply for a free variation, get a certificate of destruction from the Gun Plumber and use that to get it taken off my ticket?

Any advice/guidance would be most welcome before I start the ball rolling.

4(T)

LE
Police don't need/want the rifle - they just need to know where it is and what the licensing status is.

Just give/trade it to the RFD, and then ask the police for a one-for-one variation for a replacement. Adding an explanatory note is always courteous and helpful, of course.

The police will update your FAC record to show that the rifle has been disposed of to the RFD. (p.s. your actual paper FAC doesn't need to be amended until renewal or until replaced by grant of the variation.)

Its up to the RFD to scrap or repair the rifle, or dismantle it for parts. He will record its change of status in his register(s), which gives the Police a satisfactory audit trail.

You'll get a 1 for 1 variation either way. Probably better to use the gun plumber cos you never know what PC Plod might do if you rock up at the counter with a gat wanting to do something unusual.

4(T)

LE
p.s. I'm mildly surprised that a rifle has been found to be in a dangerous state. The usual models don't really wear out with normal use - lots of 120 year old rifles still perfectly usable, etc. In what way has it become dangerous?

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Police don't need/want the rifle - they just need to know where it is and what the licensing status is.

Just give/trade it to the RFD, and then ask the police for a one-for-one variation for a replacement. Adding an explanatory note is always courteous and helpful, of course.

The police will update your FAC record to show that the rifle has been disposed of to the RFD. (p.s. your actual paper FAC doesn't need to be amended until renewal or until replaced by grant of the variation.)

Its up to the RFD to scrap or repair the rifle, or dismantle it for parts. He will record its change of status in his register(s), which gives the Police a satisfactory audit trail.
What's an RFD, precious?

p.s. I'm mildly surprised that a rifle has been found to be in a dangerous state. The usual models don't really wear out with normal use - lots of 120 year old rifles still perfectly usable, etc. In what way has it become dangerous?

Probably an SA80 - they've been condemned from the very start.

Toppet

Old-Salt
Says the man who's never carried one (and who rather laughably thinks that having owned a straight-pull copy of an AR15 qualifies him to talk knowledgeably about all matters firearm)
How dare you disparage the oracle that is @meerkatz, @PhotEx . He once saw a photograph of a child's crayon drawing of a tank - so he clearly knows what he's on about.

TamtamPWRR

War Hero
is that in your experience?
I really don't know if I'm going against anyone's wisdom here, but I actually liked the SA80 and the LSW, and that was the 90s A1 version. The only condemmable bit of it I found was the plastic ejection port cover, twice they went on me.

is that in your experience?

Yes, I worked for a firm many years ago that made bits of them - down to a price and the minimum standard, terrible quality specified by RO who didn't understand sheet metal.

I really don't know if I'm going against anyone's wisdom here, but I actually liked the SA80 and the LSW, and that was the 90s A1 version. The only condemmable bit of it I found was the plastic ejection port cover, twice they went on me.
Could have been a good gat, but everyone was lowest bidder, lowest acceptable standard.
Fitters bashing receivers into spec with a mallet over a steel dolly, not a good sign - sure enough the real receivers came in.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, I worked for a firm many years ago that made bits of them - down to a price and the minimum standard, terrible quality specified by RO who didn't understand sheet metal.

Could have been a good gat, but everyone was lowest bidder, lowest acceptable standard.
Fitters bashing receivers into spec with a mallet over a steel dolly, not a good sign - sure enough the real receivers came in.
I'd like to see your CV. it must be about 70 pages long. What with all your jobs and quals.

Or, this is what I'm leaning towards, you are a massive liar.

Latest Threads