Concorde to fly again?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by maguire, May 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8712806.stm

'The engines on a French Concorde are to be examined as the first move in a £15m project aiming to get the supersonic passenger jet back in the air.

The Rolls Royce engines of the former Air France Concorde will undergo an initial examination to see what work needs to be done to start the engines.

Concorde was retired seven years ago, but it is hoped the jet could return to flight in a heritage capacity. '

2. Great news, I went to see concorde at east fortune and felt so sad that such a great aircraft would never fly again.

3. £15 million?? Stick a zero on the end and it may be feasible!

4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

how much has it taken to get XH558 back in the air? they're fairly close in terms of vintage and complexity arent they?

5. It's a shame that no tangible progress has been made in supersonic commercial aircraft.

Did Concorde run at a loss whilst it was operating?

6. I thought Richard Bransom offered to by them for a quid, but it was cheaper to scrap them, as BA and Air France might possibly have lost revenue from their business class 747's.

7. It did for most of its life until BA went along the charter route. It was then a very good profit maker.

The big problem with Concorde (apart from the massive development cost) was the supersonic footprint. Only place it can cruise above mach 1 is over the
    Atlantic. The other potential customers pulled out cos it was pointless buying an aircraft that would spend most of its life subsonic, only able to carry minimal passengers (its actually tiny in side) and costs a frickin fortune to run. The supersonic passenger era will remain a thing of the past until we can develop an effective 'muzzle' for the sonic boom. NASA have been working on the problem for a few years with their LANCETS program;

LANCETS

[​IMG]

8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

according to Wiki, after buying them off the government BA ran them at a decent profit.

9. They was no chance BA would let Branson have Concorde and he knew it, some say it was a huge publicity stunt.

10. I hope she does fly again, but I can't see it for 15 million.

It was one of the few air crashes where people seemed to genuinely mourn the loss of the aircraft as well as the loss of life, the Concordes had been anthropomorphised to the extent that they appeared to have a soul instead of just being a lump of metal and Avtur.

There'll be a lot of sad cnuts (me included) with a lump in their throats if she takes to the air again.

11. Well Concorde used an uprated version of the Olympus engine first used in the Vulcan, but has a more complex avionics and fuselage than the Vulcan

The crash of Air France Flight 4590 (Concorde F-BTSC) in July 2000 proved to be the beginning of the end for the type. Just before service resumed in November 2001 , the 9/11 attacks took place in September, resulting in a marked drop in customer numbers, and contributing to the eventual end of profitable Concorde flights. Air France stopped flights in May 2003, while British Airways ended its Concorde flights in October 2003.

Some saw the above as a temporary glitch and Richard Branson & Virgen Airways offered to take over the remaing [14] still in service but it was not to be.

12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Stick me down for a lump in the throat as well. I certainly felt a bit soppy watching the final three flights come into Heathrow, especially as the skipper of the last one in dropped the landing gear early so she flew over London in salute.

Noisy beasts, but there was always something special as you heard her approach.

13. Its subsonic footprint was a bit of a shocker too: it used to fly over the MQs in West Byfleet twice a day, until it was grounded - and it fair made the windows rattle, even at (I'd estimate) 5000ft AGL.

Oddly, nobody seemed to object. My missus and I, with our 3 (then very little) kids routinely used to just stand there watching this beautiful machine. The row it made in passing seemed to be wiped out, by its simple elegance.

I'd love for the youngsters to see it in flight again, now they are all old enough to remember it.

14. When I worked at Windsor TA centre I used to make sure I was outside for the morning flight coming in over us to Heathrow, just to watch her fly over.