Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Concerns about shutting down the Economy in Q4?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
It's not the steady trickle of treatable cases that will overwhelm the system; it's the flash flood of CV-19 hospitalisations caused by the entitled morons we call "The Public" that will do it.

So the system's overloaded, so what? We've done our bit and the powers that be have had seven months to put mitigations in place.

Those who are going to die are going to die and, if a foreign power threatened to cause this much damage to the UK, we'd declare war and put the best of our society in harm's way without missing a beat. I'd rather take the hit for my kids (or grandkids if COVID spares me) and I suspect that most people of a certain age feel the same way.

Let's collectively grow a pair and do the right thing rather than the selfish thing.

I'm just grumpy because there's a fair chance that this coming lockdown will quite literally be the death of me.
I can understand how that would annoy you.

So the system's overloaded, so what? We've done our bit and the powers that be have had seven months to put mitigations in place.

Those who are going to die are going to die and, if a foreign power threatened to cause this much damage to the UK, we'd declare war and put the best of our society in harm's way without missing a beat. I'd rather take the hit for my kids (or grandkids if COVID spares me) and I suspect that most people of a certain age feel the same way.

Let's collectively grow a pair and do the right thing rather than the selfish thing.

I think the issue there is the politicisation of Covid, both across parties and between Westminster and the devolved assemblies

We all remember the Thatcher milk snatcher insults hurled by the left, imagine if Boris was cautious in putting in a lock down it would Boris pensioner killer or some such

I think the response, is tempered by having to do what the health experts say we should do next at any cost because of that

If there had been a real UK wide response for this would we be in a better position now, is the thing we will probably look back on and analyse

Not my call. But hey, roll the dice and hope that the staff who become infected aren't seconded from the cancer wards or some such.

But you can FRO if you think I'm not going to go down swinging because some entitled twats thinks governmental advice doesn't apply to them because "Tory scum".

I will not go gentle into that good night.

The young are already dealing with the environmental, economic and social consequences of the selfish generations time in charge, now you want them to completely trash their futures, no thanks

Fair enough but lets look at the other side of the coin here, the young have no problem using the very same products produced/invented by the "selfish generations".

Just trying taking away their toys such as cellphones, cars, computers and all the other conveniences they bring, there wouldn't be enough cheese in the world to go along with the outpouring whine(s)

I agree that these issues do exist but to blame one generation for it all is in my view is rather hypocritical. A perfect example is all these celebs and eco warriors the likes of young Greta Thunberg whizzing around the world on planes and other modes of travel. and then posting it on the internet using their mobile phones.

Tyk

LE

Indeed, my sons are all grown and I've now got 4 Grandkids with another due in erm 6 weeks or so, that reminds me I'll have to check the likely date.

They set up the Nightingale hospitals in a very short time, they weren't needed, but if there was a big spike they could cope and easily set up more of them if needs be.

Like you I'd rather take the hit and keep the economy from falling into real depression. I'm on the quite endangered list if I get it badly so I'm not behaving as if I'm safe and devil take the hindmost.

I’ve got a foot in both camps: Buggered lungs which could well mean that a dose of COVID would finish me off; And, because of the disappearance of normal health services, other serious conditions are not receiving sufficient attention.

Running away and hiding from the virus only delays things while causing damage to the nation and many individuals. Standing and fighting will benefit the majority of the population - now, and in the future.

Well that is due to the overly generous enhanced unemployment.

I wouldn't know mate, we didn't get any money from the public purse.

JCC

War Hero
Well Lets have a look at total cases. What patterns do you see emerging?:

Countries with No Lockdown

Now for the countries that have lockdowns:

Now, just look at the shape of the infection curves. The countries without lockdowns have had the first spike, a dip, then a second spike, and dip (but not that low) and are now climbing into their third spike. Sort of like two steps forward, one step backwards.

The countries with lockdowns all but eliminated the virus after the first spike, and are now climbing into their second spike.

Seems to me lockdowns work at preventing cases.
The US is so large compared to the other examples in that the flu season in e.g. the Southern States is different in calendar time other areas. So you'd have to break the US down on that basis. At the moment the dip is being hidden by incuding data from different zones.

JCC

War Hero
You say you've restarted your business three times. Try restarting from being dead.

And that's the key point isn't it. How much is a human life worth?
I think it's about £60k per QALY

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I will repeat. The economic damage is a result of people not following the rules.
The economic damage is because of businesses being hugely restricted or shut down altogether. If you doubt this, put all your life savings into a business and see where obeying the rules gets you.

Theres 66.65 million people in the UK, 66.64 million of whom will be alive when this is over and will need food, shelter, jobs, healthcare etc They should be the main priority, not driving the country into economic depression to keep 0.01% alive for a year or two longer. The young are already dealing with the environmental, economic and social consequences of the selfish generations time in charge, now you want them to completely trash their futures, no thanks
Every generation that has been in charge since the dawn of civilized man has been labeled as the baddies by those that follow after. This is nothing new except now they have social media to whine and snivel on to try to get sympathy and keep whinging about how the grownups did them wrong. Everyone no matter their generation is dealing with the environment, economic issues, etc, yet somehow the young think they have market cornered on giving a shïte , to think they’re just younger persons issues is pure ignorance.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Without seeming to sound harsh, your business is not the economy. Not every job can be saved, not every business can be saved. However, if people would actually stop acting like idiots then we wouldn't need this lockdown, and maybe your experts would be working.

Which bit of 'It's a pandemic without a known cure' don't you understand?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Sigh. No, it is not the politicans.

The fatality rate is just one variable in the danger Covid poses. You are not British, you are not over here. If you won't listen to people who are, then don't bother asking questions. If you want to educate yourself then ******* listen.

Please stop pretending that you're the voice of Britain.

the biggest cock up was expecting all of the public to show common sence and self disipline, throw in BLM protest having free rien and mps/cummings getting away with rule breaking and we were ####ed going in

Latest Threads