Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Concerns about shutting down the Economy in Q4?

So doing some reading this am, and it appears you lot get another round of lock down. It also appears this is going to hurt your economy pretty badly, at the most in opportune time.

Do you folks think a lockdown at this point in time is a wise idea? Will it be worth the very real cost paid in lost jobs and businesses that are permanently shuttered?

I am shocked Bojo went along with this course of action, I expected a stout heart from him.

So doing some reading this am, and it appears you lot get another round of lock down. It also appears this is going to hurt your economy pretty badly, at the most in opportune time.

Do you folks think a lockdown at this point in time is a wise idea? Will it be worth the very real cost paid in lost jobs and businesses that are permanently shuttered?

I am shocked Bojo went along with this course of action, I expected a stout heart from him.
As an outsider, I am amazed at the pics on various news sites of mongs all out celebrating halloween/last-day-to-party.
Yep, that sort of fuckwittery is what led to lockdowns in the first place!!!
Boris: "Don't go to crowded places where you could getinfected."
Mongs: "Hey, let us go to crowded places one last time before we are banned from crowded places."

As an outsider, I am amazed at the pics on various news sites of mongs all out celebrating halloween/last-day-to-party.
Yep, that sort of fuckwittery is what led to lockdowns in the first place!!!
Boris: "Don't go to crowded places where you could getinfected."
Mongs: "Hey, let us go to crowded places one last time before we are banned from crowded places."
Well Halloween is an unofficial holiday, and I was one of those mongs partying it up last night. I can understand the desire to enjoy life and not be a shut in.

But I don’t understand how nuking your economy in Q4, is going to lead to anything other then a double dip recession and a lost decade.

It's not just Boris grrr

Wales at least is already in lockdown, we're not supposed to leave our homes without a valid reason under the fire break lockdown

Tourism in North Wales is the economy, and it's in a worse state than Monty Pythons parrot

It's not just Boris grrr

Wales at least is already in lockdown, we're not supposed to leave our homes without a valid reason under the fire break lockdown

Tourism in North Wales is the economy, and it's in a worse state than Monty Pythons parrot
Not sounding like a very Merry Christmas then.

Well Halloween is an unofficial holiday, and I was one of those mongs partying it up last night. I can understand the desire to enjoy life and not be a shut in.

But I don’t understand how nuking your economy in Q4, is going to lead to anything other then a double dip recession and a lost decade.
were you in a crowded place with loads of strangers?
Or in a 'sensible' environment?

Not sounding like a very Merry Christmas then.

Fine for me, but genuinely harsh for other people

I know a lady in the job centre locally, and there's a lot more people looking for work who are genuinely looking for work and struggling to find it, and the economy across the UK is really going to dive whenever furlough finally ends

I'm just glad not be in their shoes, there but for the grace of the FSM etc.....

. . . and, in 9-12 months time, we will be saying, ' . . . and what was that all about?'.

Economies will recover: throughout this Bad 'Flu, trade has . . . well . . . been traded. Businesses have been lost (and for those that have lost a small business, you have my sympathy).

But new business (or different business) will be formed and people will work.

Deeper impact on education and other social services, particularly health provision? No idea. And neither does anyone else, no matter what modelling they may wish to carry out.

Direct and indirect taxes will increase somewhat: by how much? Again, no-one really knows.

But it will not bring us to our knees.

. . . and, in 9-12 months time, we will be saying, ' . . . and what was that all about?'.

Economies will recover: throughout this Bad 'Flu, trade has . . . well . . . been traded. Businesses have been lost (and for those that have lost a small business, you have my sympathy).

But new business (or different business) will be formed and people will work.

Deeper impact on education and other social services, particularly health provision? No idea. And neither does anyone else, no matter what modelling they may wish to carry out.

Direct and indirect taxes will increase somewhat: by how much? Again, no-one really knows.

But it will not bring us to our knees.
I think your timeline is a bit optimistic for the recovery bit. But sadly you lot will be the test subject to be watched by others.

I think your timeline is a bit optimistic for the recovery bit. But sadly you lot will be the test subject to be watched by others.

I disagree: the interval between the initial lockdown and up to late Summer/early Autumn saw the economy recover at a rate that surprised many.

Certainly not to a post-lockdown level but enough to give some confidence.

What I will despair at is the formed battalions of professional and semi-professional hand wringers and doom mongers who will insist-nay, demand!-that it's all gone to ratshit.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
@Themanwho - obliged to you for the 'Informative' but I feel that it's misplaced, in that my post was simply an opinion.

Nothing more. There's no great insight to it's content: it's an opinion having watched people muddle through stuff and get on with life.

It's for certain sections of the media and our 'community leaders' to tell us how shite everything is :)
fat fingers

I disagree: the interval between the initial lockdown and up to late Summer/early Autumn saw the economy recover at a rate that surprised many.

Certainly not to a post-lockdown level but enough to give some confidence.

What I will despair at is the formed battalions of professional and semi-professional hand wringers and doom mongers who will insist-nay, demand!-that it's all gone to ratshit.
But that was with the furlough scheme keeping things above water. Can it be maintained at an 80 percent rate for another year?

Latest Threads