Concerns about joining the REME

Discussion in 'REME' started by The_Hoff92, Mar 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think you'll find that in the modern army, the numbers of workshy, pie-eating types has dwindled to almost none. But seriously, if you are concerned about your career choice in terms of the amount of banter you might receive then I think you might be looking at the wrong employer.
  2. Errrrr, Air techs! What a bunch of *****.... :)

Mate, if that's what you want to do then do it! Every trade has gooduns and wronguns - the only guarantee is the banter. So if you wanna be a light blue hatted girly handed mincer then crack on!

Go for it, get a trade and make the most of it.
  3. "If you can't take a joke, don't join the British Army......"

4. It doesnt matter, youll be an air tech so you wont have contact with anyone who doesnt wear a blue beret.
  5. All the REME wear blue berets you spanker. I assume you meant that gay baby blue AAC colour?
  6. Do they? Mine is a rather fetching Khaki colour thank you very much!
  7. Aah CC, but that is because you are that most steely eyed of REME, 1st Line teeth arms- not a pen pushing, book quoting, exercise dodging depot monster like me (how I yearn for a return to Teeth arms!)

Seriously though, yes air techs are mocked (like all techs) but only from jealousy, cushy job, quick promotion, easy tours, what's not to like! And others have said don't discount a trade just on whether people will like you (except RMP obviously) all trades have their spankers, and all have good lads
  8. They won't hate you for being REME.

Some will hate you for being a Tech. You'll have to work twice as hard as non techs to a fraction of the respect, until you prove yourself. Even then you will still be looked on with suspicion.

No one will like you for going AvTech/ AirTech cos almost to a man, they are all strange *******. And not strange in the usual squaddy alcoholic/ normal sexual deviant kind of way, more the Jeffery Dahmer/ Gollum kind of way.

Real Techs chose Control Equipment (as was) rather than the girly Radar/Rapier/Av/Air, or even the faketech - Inst. I suspect most of those trades have gone the journey though.

REME pretty much hold their own in regards to mil skills and fitness whilst in a Regiment. Unless the Regiment changes the rules during competitions to let their guys win (didnt you, 39Regt RA heirarchy in the early to mid90's....).

You sound a bit of a whiner though, complaining about being despised or hated. Maybe the RAF Regt would be a better choice for you.
  9. Bit harsh, no fecker deserves that! :)
  10. But noone has a bad word to say about the RAF Regt, so it will suit the OP down to the ground. And he gets to be SF.
  11. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Join as an air tech, you won't have as much fun but you will have an easier life.
  12. Join as an Armourer, they are Gods.
  13. if you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have signed your contract lol

A Mech, top of the tree, best trade to be, you will be fetted by ladies and the envy of other tradesmen..... I know, I certainly was:)

in reality, you will have the piss taken regardless of what trade you pick, especially if you have some form of physical defect or prominent feature (big nose, webbed feet, shitty whining attitude etc)
  14. I came out of the Arborfield factory as a Tels. Tech. and my first posting was the Hebrides - all I got in my 2 years there was fcuking boffin, mostly from ex-brat black hand gang who couldn't hack it as a tech. I then went to an Infantry Regiment in Norn Iron and was never denigrated for being a tech again.

Some people are jealous of the extra money and accelerated promotion but the standard arguement back is 'well, the opportunity is there, you'd be a mug not to take it'. I saw lots of REME A & B trades at Arborfield remustering as technicians (and not a few from other regiments, rebadging, as well), I saw very few who went from Tech. trade the other way, only those who had failed the technician courses.