Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Concerning rifle magazines and ammunition issued to Cold War era British Forces.

They had the M60, kiwi arty was as responsible, its a complex story
Happy to be corrected, but it is still a belt fed medium machine gun, and a section weapon.

I read several accounts of Long Tan, (even borrowed the helicopter ammo replen for a novel) and exchanged emails with a guy who was there, although we talked about how he had been refused membership of the Returned & Services League of Australia as Vietnam was 'not a proper war, just baby killing', in their view.

You'll find that the Aussies and Kiwis useda mix of weapons - the SAS chaps had quite an eclectic selection judging by the photos.

In the ordinary infantry companies they used SLRs, SMGs, M-60s and M-79s. I don't recall anything about the SMG being used in rifle companies in the Lex McAuley books.

The M16 replaced the Owen SMG in Australian rifle coys in Vietnam around 1966. Some other soldiers who had previously been scaled for SLRs were also issued M16s but the SLR remained the most common rifle.

Edited to add- some links of interest

https://www.army.gov.au/sites/g/fil...ion_lessons_from_vietnam_1965-71_0.pdf#page90

As you can see in the document above , 265 M16s were issued per infantry battalion, a full-strength battalion then totaling 792 all ranks .

https://www.army.gov.au/sites/g/files/net1846/f/aaj_208_sep_1966.pdf

The Royal Australian Regiment in Viet Nam

Weapons and hardware used by the 'Tiger Battalion' Soldier during the Vietnam War

Last edited:
They had the M60, kiwi arty was as responsible, its a complex story

Yes the Australians only replaced the M60 with the MAG in the late '80s as far as I know .

The FOO party with D Coy 6 RAR were indeed Kiwis but besides the RNZA 105mm battery firing in support of D Coy there were two Aussie 105 batteries , American 155s, USAF aircraft ( can't remember if they were F-4s or F-100s) dropping napalm and HE...

Ammo Expenditure
In the Ardoyne, some nights it was quite like being in the butts, we were in Fineston? school. The company Sergeant major put in a report after a street gun battle which he was involved in, The Brigadier showed interest in what was written and wished to see the CSM on an interview to be held at Bn HQ in Flax St Mill. It was assumed that far too much ammo had been expended. I went in with the CSM to face an 'icy' looking brigadier. He said nothing for a few moments then started to quietly bollock the CSM. Both became quietly irate, and then the CSM quite lost it, he was visibly shaking but trying to retain respect and raising his voice to a shout he said "Sir you weren't bloody there!!" A long silence followed while the brigadier thought it out, then he said quietly. " Your'e quite right Sarn't major, I wasn't... now fall out, but take it easy on the ammo."

Ammo Expenditure
In the Ardoyne, some nights it was quite like being in the butts, we were in Fineston? school. The company Sergeant major put in a report after a street gun battle which he was involved in, The Brigadier showed interest in what was written and wished to see the CSM on an interview to be held at Bn HQ in Flax St Mill. It was assumed that far too much ammo had been expended. I went in with the CSM to face an 'icy' looking brigadier. He said nothing for a few moments then started to quietly bollock the CSM. Both became quietly irate, and then the CSM quite lost it, he was visibly shaking but trying to retain respect and raising his voice to a shout he said "Sir you weren't bloody there!!" A long silence followed while the brigadier thought it out, then he said quietly. " Your'e quite right Sarn't major, I wasn't... now fall out, but take it easy on the ammo."

I always go on about the Rhodesian war but on one of the first contacts that was “ sorted” out by a helicopter gunner with a Mag.

He fired something like 50 rounds to take out the terr.

Post Op those in command waffled on about a waste of ammunition.

Posted this on the Search for an ally star...

Normal load was 4 20rd mags for the FN .

On ops it was a bit different.....

For the New Farm Chimoio raid , Op Dingo one SAS troop OC , Capt. Rob MacKenzie had his RPD gunners jump with 1500 round each and those with FNs have 600. As well as associated grenades, flares, radios, etc.

Ammo Expenditure
At this point I'm reminded of a contact report that I saw when watchkeeping at 39 Bde, circa 1980. We musta been info addressee, 'cos it was 2(?) Para, in 3(?) Bde, and related to sangar sentries at one of the wriggly tin operating bases, mebbe in Co. Fermanagh, adjacent to a lake.

It went along the lines of:
0400 hrs

Contact

Male person [FNU SNU ANK] observed in vicinity of ****** with weapon

Engaged by sentries

1,000 rounds fired

No hits claimed

No fire returned

FUNTR.

Comment: Probable duck hunter.

Last edited:
It's probably the same Para Base where a notice on the gate stated: Patrols returning in darkness are to expose themselves to the Sanger Sentry: You can guess the rest"

It's probably the same Para Base where a notice on the gate stated: Patrols returning in darkness are to expose themselves to the Sanger Sentry: You can guess the rest"
I'm pretty sure it was the same mob who lost a Pl Comd to his own ambush in S Armagh, when he led the cut-offs into their positions, with the rest of the ambush all teed up and ready to rock'n'roll, only then to head back for his CP on a line bang through the middle of the killing zone. . . .

Last edited:
Ref NI and ammunition usage...

Bn tour in W Belfast 1977. SOPs meant 1 x magazine with 20 rounds and the weapon made ready. My company came under fire on a number of occaisions but most were shoot and scoots - half a dozen rounds fired and the gunmen legged it. Only on one occaision was the gunman ID'd and he was out of sight before the observer could fire or give a target indication. Other than plastic bullets used during riots I don't think we returned fire. The other companies were also engaged regularly (two guys hit and wounded - both survived) but again little or no return fire as the gunmen legged it asap. One late night patrol, led by the CSM, did spot several guys on the street, one of whom was waving a hand gun. He was challenged and shot dead when he pointed the gun at the patrol.

Armagh Tour 1980. More magazines and ammunition. GPMGs carried on patrols along the border and GPMGs mounted in the sangars in the more exposed bases. One contact resulted in 1,200+ rounds of 7.62 link being fired from a sangar at multiple gunmen firing from several positions. No hits claimed but the base was left alone for the rest of the tour. :)

I'm pretty sure it was the same mob who lost a Pl Comd to his own ambush in S Armagh, when he led the cut-offs into their positions, with the rest of the ambush all teed up and ready to rock'n'roll, only then to head back for his CP on a line bang through the middle of the killing zone. . . .
2 PARA @Stonker . I was in Belfast at the time.