Concerning rifle magazines and ammunition issued to Cold War era British Forces.

Given that we didn't have 9mm blank, there was no point in having more than two.

Actually, there was no point in having more than one. As they were too long for the SLR mag pouches, they were constantly falling out.
I was once told that 9mil blank was so expensive,only the crabs had the budget for it.I certainly never saw any.
And I believe that the SMG BFA is like the pot that a jazz trumpeter puts on the end of his instrument( fnar,fnar).

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was once told that 9mil blank was so expensive,only the crabs had the budget for it.I certainly never saw any.
And I believe that the SMG BFA is like the pot that a jazz trumpeter puts on the end of his instrument( fnar,fnar).
Only blanks I ever saw were 76mm. A Sqn (close recce cowboys) were enemy. One of their patrols didn't like me claiming him as a kill from the other end of the fire break and charged his Scimitar up toward me. I reversed about 20m, loaded blank, had the gunner put the gun at full elevation.

Scimitar came round corner BANG. He stopped chasing me and accepted the kill. The only blank round I fired (and I didn't fire it) in 14 years.

Edit. I lie. One exercise with rifle in Basic, we got blank.

Last edited:
Only ever saw 9mm blank once. A STAB RE officer had a BFA fitted to his SMG. It looked like a hockey puck the same diameter as the weapon, with a small hole drilled through it. Turns out he worked for an arms company and had it made himself.

The Demonstrator is Sgt F Corrigan SASC, previously of the 2nd Bn The Grenadier Gds. I see him quite often, he will be delighted that he is featured here. The energa, was bloody awful and dangerous to use and instruct on. I never thought it worth the trouble of having it in the arms inventory. It's successor was far more formidable and more simple to use.
What was its successor?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
What was its successor?
The small US 66mm LAW a 'throw away' item, quite light and effective, a rifleman could carry about two or three of these.
Regarding the energa the problem was often the firer not 'tucking the butt hard enough under his armpit' when firing, resulting in a broken trigger finger on recoil. even though the point of the finger was supposed to be used, soldiers often forgot and used the trigger finger as with the rifle round.

In the time of 'that' rifle,it was four,twenty round mags with a fifth in reserve with the CQMS.Quite how that would have worked,I don't know.With SA80,four mags of thirty rounds, exception being LSW gunner,who would carry twelve(I think). ISTR that we carried eighty rounds in NI,including LSW.
80 Rounds in NI?....

... you were lucky!

I think we had one mag of five 7.62 rounds???

80 Rounds in NI?....

... you were lucky!

I think we had one mag of five 7.62 rounds???
It varied, according to the assessed threat.

On early tours, post-MOTORMAN, ammo consumption could be very high: like 30 contacts in a 3hour foot patrol of New Lodge (many of them single shots or 'cowboys') as a norm, but I know that A Coy 2RRF once mounted a Company sized operation against a school in West Belfast that was occupied by PIRA, in the course of which they got through two complete resupplies of 7.62mm, the unit of measure being 1 resupp = 80 rounds per man, which I think was the SOP 'out the gate' carry at that time.

In Andytown, early 1975, we carried 20rds per man, on the weapon, made safe. 4 years later, anywhere in the RUC Springfield Road AO, I think it was 40rounds, including the mag on the weapon, which was always made ready before leaving the patrol base. In S Armagh, 1991, armed with SA80, all our pouches were filled with fully charged mags, and all weapons were cocked - that was SOP.

Last edited:

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I was told that people going to viet -nam would buy lmg/ bren mags that also fitted on "that rifle" for the extra capacity it offered. However watching you tube this week some of the m16 seemed to have extended mags isthis correct ?
I always thought that i would ditch my .30 browning for a .50 if I was ever sent to ear my pay . Ialways thought if you needed on there would be one laying around somewhere. I was only 17!

I was told that people going to viet -nam would buy lmg/ bren mags that also fitted on "that rifle" for the extra capacity it offered
Fairy stories, I think.

No Brits ever served in Vietnam
Australia sent troops, who - as far as I know - carried M16s, 5.56mm, not 7.62.

Unless they had SLR in their early days.

Fairy stories, I think.

Yep used SLRs in Vietnam.
Google photos of Aussies in Vietnam.
Song on Youtube I was only 19
Film 'The odd angry shot.' Which is worth watching.

Fairy stories, I think.

ANZACS carried both weapons in RVN

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Fairy stories, I think.

Australians and New Zealanders used a mix of SLR and M-16 in Vietnam.