Concerning rifle magazines and ammunition issued to Cold War era British Forces.

Bandoliers. Don't forget the bandoliers. From memory, each bandolier = 100 rounds in clips of five
View attachment 358166 to be loaded into your empty mags by hand, because nobody was ever going to carry the 'charger, magazine':

because it was too big to fit pocket or CEFO pouch, and anyway so flimsy it woulda gotten bent outta shape in the first five minutes of a firefight.

ISTR 2 x bandoliers per man on our ACTIVE EDGE kit lists, but I'd lay money troops in the FI war were enthusiastically carrying into contact as many they could drape around themselves.

@warmonger82 - Only when SA80 came along - with its cheapo M16 stylee magazines - did the Brits start thinking about issuing fully loaded, throwaway mags.
I don't recall ever seeing that charger, and I joined in '81...

I joined in 1975 and recall seeing them in a box in the arms kote.

And there they stayed, as we never saw bandoliers, all our ammo coming in cartons and therefore without stripper clips.

I have a vague recollection of a rubbery charger. Anyone else remember seeing one? I can't remember when (and it may just be in my imagination).

Well, the LMG mag fitted the SLR, so I would assume that it would therefore not fit an FAL. Spring was too weak to be of much use though.
I've a couple of BREN magazines over the Pond & both have (so far) run without stoppages or misfeeds in a 1961 BSA made L1A1

I joined in 1975 and recall seeing them in a box in the arms kote.

And there they stayed, as we never saw bandoliers, all our ammo coming in cartons and therefore without stripper clips.

I have a vague recollection of a rubbery charger. Anyone else remember seeing one? I can't remember when (and it may just be in my imagination).
I have a Lula Loader that works fine, only advantage is less wear on fingers, as it's slower than loading by hand.

Nig! I joined in 71 and never saw one, however that changed around 4 or 5 years ago when I bought one on egun and it was still in its original factory packing date 1958! The f**king things never saw light of day. Typical stackers must have kept them in a depot somewhere and not issued them in case somebody needed them.
Having said that I must say that I no longer use it, as it is a finger slicer disguised as a mag loader, I use a plassy loader that takes 10 rd stripper clips, much faster and no bleeding fingers.

I've a couple of BREN magazines over the Pond & both have (so far) run without stoppages or misfeeds in a 1961 BSA made L1A1
I have 2 L4A1 mags but don't use them as they are too long when in the prone position, which is how I do most of my rifle shooting. They did however function flawlessly when I used them.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have 2 L4A1 mags but don't use them as they are too long when in the prone position, which is how I do most of my rifle shooting. They did however function flawlessly when I used them.
We were advised not to use Bren mags as they were designed to be gravity feed,mounting on the top of the LMG as they did.
The Aussies had thirty round,straight, SLR magazines.

A question from my side. For those Cold Warriors issued the Small Metal Gun, how many mags were standard issue?

We were advised not to use Bren mags as they were designed to be gravity feed,mounting on the top of the LMG as they did.
The Aussies had thirty round,straight, SLR magazines.
They were trying to discorage you from stealing LMG mags to be ally. :p

They're not gravity feed and generally seem to run fine. And I've not noticed any difference in spring tension between straight L2 and curved L4 mags...

A question from my side. For those Cold Warriors issued the Small Metal Gun, how many mags were standard issue?
From my time with the Harrier Mafia 2 mags were issued when deployed into the field. However going back to the 70s in Brüggen the RAFP Sabotage Alert Team (they who were the reaction force for the buckets of sunshine storage areas) had a kit bag stuffed full of SMG and loaded mags.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
On the (very) rare occasions that I carried one, I think it was 4. May have been less, but always seemed to be too many.

Scaling in our armoury was 4 per gun-you'd get all 4 out for APWT but only ever take two on exercise as they never fitted properly in 58 pattern pouches and were prone to getting lost/nicked & ransomed back at ENDEX

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ah, Gentlemen, I think we're forgetting the venerable Energa!
View attachment 358167
Jolly useful pouch for my KFS if I remember correctly...
The Demonstrator is Sgt F Corrigan SASC, previously of the 2nd Bn The Grenadier Gds. I see him quite often, he will be delighted that he is featured here. The energa, was bloody awful and dangerous to use and instruct on. I never thought it worth the trouble of having it in the arms inventory. It's successor was far more formidable and more simple to use.

Scaling in our armoury was 4 per gun-you'd get all 4 out for APWT but only ever take two on exercise as they never fitted properly in 58 pattern pouches and were prone to getting lost/nicked & ransomed back at ENDEX
Those that had them in my lot in the reserves never got to fire them on APWT. Considered too dangerous. They shot THAT rifle instead, and the scores "adjusted" for windage and elevation.

They were trying to discorage you from stealing LMG mags to be ally. :p

They're not gravity feed and generally seem to run fine. And I've not noticed any difference in spring tension between straight L2 and curved L4 mags...
We were told that they were gravity feed,as a young crow the corporal's word was gospel.It wasn't much of an issue as I only ever saw one bloke with a Bren mag on his SLR.
There were 58 pattern SMG mag pouches,but as rare as rocking horse s**t.

Given that we didn't have 9mm blank, there was no point in having more than two.

Actually, there was no point in having more than one. As they were too long for the SLR mag pouches, they were constantly falling out.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
In BAOR, in Recce, I don't recall being issued mags. SMGs were something to be carried at all times away from the wagon for no reason other than SOP box ticking.

RAPC attached 12 Armd Wksp, I'm sat here trying to remember carrying mags. Nope.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
In BAOR, in Recce, I don't recall being issued mags. SMGs were something to be carried at all times away from the wagon for no reason other than SOP box ticking.

RAPC attached 12 Armd Wksp, I'm sat here trying to remember carrying mags. Nope.
We had a RAPC Sgt that came to Sennelarger to pay the Bn, he came into the sgts mess tent for lunch and placed his SMG in a corner of the tent, someone picked it up to put it safe behind the Bar, in doing so he folded the Butt. Afterwards when the RAPC SGt went to collect his SMG, he picked it up and demanded loudly... "Come on who's pinched me fooking butt"