Concerning rifle magazines and ammunition issued to Cold War era British Forces.

Similar issues with Sapper outloads. The CO of 35 Engr Regt ordered the Field Troops to strip all the top boxes off the panzers. The QM then invited to him to look inside one with full mob stores loaded. Boxes went back on.
Serious question though - I never once had a Land Rover without a 3/4 ton trailer for 9x9, tables, chairs, cots, ORP, POL etc etc

ugly

LE
Was that because of capacity ? 20 vs 30 ? or old vs new ?
My recollection was that the US ones were sturdier than the RG ones. They were certainly jealously guarded.
All were thirty and I never issues with RG mags. We still had a handfull of colt thirty rounders as well as a big pile of twenty colt mags which were all back loaded.

Goose Green was the classic advance to contact against a larger enemy force. In theory we shouldn't have won that battle. We did through a combination of luck and grit (Balls not the mnemonic) and that set the standard. The mountain battles were different, a more classic night time deliberate attack with proper support (within the limits) and coordinated across several features to limit mutual defence.
Fire discipline is great, there however is nothing to say that the para with all of those magazines didn't take aimed shots at actual targets rather than just blat off rounds.
I have partaken in large formation attacks where I haven't fired (live firing ex etc) because there wasn't a target to engage and just to blat off to make noise was dangerous and wasteful.
I just posted as anecdotal, no matter how much you carry you may always want more.
That lad was an exception, most didn't need/use that much.
Also it was AFTER Goose Green, so Wireless Ridge, and he took that much ammo because of his experiences at GG.

He may not even have been a Para either, now I think at a distance of 35 years. @.@

There's a lot of talk about 28rd magazines. I know that the thinking is that short loading a magazine would help to mitigate feed stoppages, the theory being that the spring would have less work to do.

I've always been of the opinion that this is one of those urban myth/a senior tom told me things; possibly because it's mentioned in B20 and as everyone know, allyness saves lives. Certainly on every TELIC and HERRICK I ever did, all it took was easing the magazine springs about weekly and nairy a stoppage. Not that I was in constant heavy contact to be fair.

Normal carry for CS arms by 2005-ish btw was 6 x 30rds bombed up, a bandolier of 150 and a slack handful of tracer unless 4B1T was issued.

TELIC1 was 25rds in total. Which was a bit shit.

ugly

LE
There's a lot of talk about 28rd magazines. I know that the thinking is that short loading a magazine would help to mitigate feed stoppages, the theory being that the spring would have less work to do.

I've always been of the opinion that this is one of those urban myth/a senior tom told me things; possibly because it's mentioned in B20 and as everyone know, allyness saves lives. Certainly on every TELIC and HERRICK I ever did, all it took was easing the magazine springs about weekly and nairy a stoppage. Not that I was in constant heavy contact to be fair.

Normal carry for CS arms by 2005-ish btw was 6 x 30rds bombed up, a bandolier of 150 and a slack handful of tracer unless 4B1T was issued.

TELIC1 was 25rds in total. Which was a bit shit.
I always loaded every magazine till it was full

I always loaded every magazine till it was full
Why wouldn't you? What's the saying "There's nothing more useless than air in a water bottle"? I would be astonished if a single casualty had ever been caused by a stoppage due to a weak magazine spring.

I saw Rodway Green many years later and couldn’t believe how thin they were.
No wonder there were feed issues.
Was that because of capacity ? 20 vs 30 ? or old vs new ?
My recollection was that the US ones were sturdier than the RG ones. They were certainly jealously guarded.
Considering that the Colt mags were designed,technically,to be disposable,we thought they were miles better than the RG ones.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
We didn't need copious amounts of ammunition; we were not only Riflemen, but we had THAT rifle, which would stop a T72. So, even four mags of 20 would account for most of a motor rifle regiment, since one round would go through six Soviets.

However, in Aden we carried up to six mags, depending on where one was deployed. In Maa'la or such like, then normal loadout; up in the Radfan then it would be as much as you could cram into your kit.
Borneo was AR15 time, and usually 6 mags but ahain, sometimes more.
Ulster very much deoended on where you were and what your Oc felt.
Early Cyprus was normal load.
Germany was the time to fit junk food and beer in your pouches.

German WW1 soldiers. Note that the pouches are clearly 15 rounds each:

German WW2 soldiers. Note the pouches are much skinnier:

But exactly the same in appearance as the ones you claimed to be from WW1, and easily large enough to carry 15 rds each. In fact if anything, the brown WW1 pouches look like they could carry more than 15.

ugly

LE
I have. I believe the pouches in the second pic are the same as those previously described as from WW1. Any photos, and real examples, I’ve ever seen were always black, and capable of carrying 3 x 5rd clips each.

Edit: However...... I stand corrected. I have since found a good article that does indeed state they carried 10 rds each not 15, for a total of 60, not 90. I have evidently been misremembering (which is annoying as I thought it was 90rds for yonks), and so owe you a virtual pint.

Last edited:
I thought That rifle did not need any bullets?
Nope, It needed ONE.. the rest were just extra weight to keep your feet on the ground due to being so ALLY :)

But exactly the same in appearance as the ones you claimed to be from WW1, and easily large enough to carry 15 rds each. In fact if anything, the brown WW1 pouches look like they could carry more than 15.
Lol. I actually have a set of the WW2 pouches, and a ton of 7.92x57mm and clips. All I have to do is go and dig them out, and you'll see quite clearly that they only take 2 clips each.