Concerning rifle magazines and ammunition issued to Cold War era British Forces.

Rooting through some old papers, I came across a notebook from Op Granby, Dec 90 to Jan91, a period spent as " ship's guard", aka anti piracy team, en route from Germany to Al Jubayl.
I noted that the two of us guarding the ship had 120 rounds each, of 7.62 ball.
Quite what Somali ( or other) pirates would do with 1200 tonnes of MLRS rockets, I'm unsure, but had a firefight kicked off I'm confident it would have been loud, short and exciting.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
1. If that's a Sten, I'm Herz Van Rental (portrait painter of Den Haag)

2. The war in Vietnam ended in 1975, by which time ANZAC had long since drawn stumps
Afternoon Herz: It's a variation of a Sten, but if you troll through Vietnam images you will see quite a few original Stens, Some with silencers, some without.

View attachment 358299

The Sten Gun was also used, but perhaps a variation of the original. It was favoured by some Ranger units for its close quarter work reliability, mostly towards the end of the war.
You'll find that the Aussies and Kiwis useda mix of weapons - the SAS chaps had quite an eclectic selection judging by the photos.

In the ordinary infantry companies they used SLRs, SMGs, M-60s and M-79s. I don't recall anything about the SMG being used in rifle companies in the Lex McAuley books.

Afternoon Herz: It's a variation of a Sten, but if you troll through Vietnam images you will see quite a few original Stens, Some with silencers, some without.
For your viewing pleasure

Last edited:
Only blanks I ever saw were 76mm. A Sqn (close recce cowboys) were enemy. One of their patrols didn't like me claiming him as a kill from the other end of the fire break and charged his Scimitar up toward me. I reversed about 20m, loaded blank, had the gunner put the gun at full elevation.

Scimitar came round corner BANG. He stopped chasing me and accepted the kill. The only blank round I fired (and I didn't fire it) in 14 years.

Edit. I lie. One exercise with rifle in Basic, we got blank.
Firing blanks?? I've filled 3 pushchairs I'll have you know!!

They told the story of one trigger happy lad, 2 Para IIRC, who carried 17 mags into action after experience at G Green, fired the lot and still used 5 argie mags he nicked off them. Over 400 rounds that night.
Obviously then, his marksmanship skills were on a par with my own. IE, fecking useless.

Debate was about weight of fire vs fire discipline. Didn't reach a final conclusion as I recall
Afghanistan experience ended that debate, I believe, with weight of fire coming a distant second.

No surprise there: the Boer War generation learned the same thing the same way.

Difference would be that they acted on the experience, embedded it in their training, and sent into WW1 an army of marksmen the like of which the world had never seen.

Whereas we've spent the last 100 years forgetting how to do that, and show no signs of breaking the habit, despite Afghanistan experience in the 21st Century.

Last edited:
Afghanistan experience ended that debate, I believe, with weight of fire coming a distant second.

No surprise there: the Boer War generation learned the same thing the same way.

Difference would be that they acted on the experience, embedded it in their training, and sent into WW1 an army of marksmen the like of which the world had never seen.

Whereas we've spent the last century forgetting how to do it, and show no signs of breaking that habit, despite Afghanistan experience in the 21st Century.
Presumably the "loadsa inaccurate bullets" tendency believe that at least some are bound to be on target & at the right time to be effective. Sufficient in fact to be more effective than having trained riflemen use far less shots (& thus need less of a logistical burden) in taking out the same target.

They're ******* idiots & on multiple levels, including morale; Who wants to go into a fire-fight knowing you've only fired a couple of hundred rounds in the past 6 months?
Heck; I go through ten times that twice a year & I'm never going to be in that kind of situation.
Failing to make soldiers into riflemen is stupid, short sighted & gets them killed.