concerning Lt Colonel ‘H’ Jones

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by iceman3794, Nov 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. does anyone have a view on the awarding of the Vc to Lt Colonel ‘H’ Jones while attacking goose green?

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Interesting first post.

Suggest you tell us all where you are coming from with such a "leading" question.

3. Journo?
    who are you and why do you ask?

4. Yes, Lt Col H Jones was CO of 2nd Bn Parachute Regt during Op Corporate and was killed in action and was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross.

For a first post on ARRSE you are clearly after stirring something, this isn't the place.

Read his citation if you are struggling to grasp why it was awarded........ Then show us your VC?

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yes. On officer at his level should not risk themselves by putting themselves in the firing line. They have a wealth of knowledge and experience at command level, and as such, they should be considered as high value and not to be squandered in firefights.

There are some (not many) officers who lead from the front, despite the protocols, and thus, put themselves directly at risk of dying.

In the case of Colonel 'H' Jones, he did so, and paid the ultimate price for his incredibly brave actions on that day. As history shows, it motivated his men to decisively turn around what was a pretty poor strategic position in which 'H's men were pinned down and dying themselves.

I believe that he acted in a manner that marked him out to be a true leader of men, although he went against all protocols.

He deserves the award for outstanding and selfless bravery.

6. No, I wasn't there.

7. yes it is my first post, i did not mean to stirr up anything as you put it, im just studing the vc for my dissatation and the poltical implications that are associated with it...concerning Lt Colonel ‘H’ Jones a colonel killed in action is a major thing an as a personal view maybe was not as brave as some other acts that happend there (dont get me wrong giving your life is the ultimate scarafice) did he have sway with the board becasue he was a colonel. it is a hard arguement and i dont mean to offend ANY one i just want to pick up some vibes on what people thought about the subject.

8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

If that is in your thoughts you know fcuk all!

9. Strange first post.

H was clearly a leader who went against the normal protocols as Biped has said. However, in doing so his actions went on to inspire the men who followed him.

I believe his sons (happy to be corrected here) are still serving so we should not look to dwell too long on this pointless enquiry. As MDN says, "His Citation will give you all the info required".

10. You're doing a dissertation and you can't even spell it? Hmmm....

11. I shared a room with someone who was there and we had one or two drunken chats not too long after the war but it would be wrong for anyone to relate second hand events.

Suggest you contact the Airborne Forces Museum at Browning Barracks for help on Regimental History.

http://www.army.mod.uk/para/af_museum/

12. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

What is a "dissatation"? Do you have brain enough to have to write one? Your spelling appears to me to be of the standard of a prepubescent.

What is the exam question....?

13. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Clearly not a journo as even a Scum hack can type better than that. :D

If you are studying this then the best way is to approach Good CO or Bad CO and ask permission to ask about this. They'll want a little bit of proof of your bona fides. Although I suggest that you pick a different VC recipient to ask about - this has the possibility of being controversial on an open forum and has been done to death in other media by people who should know better.

14. I don’t know, I think you will find that it fits the criteria very well.

In any battle or operation there are always extremely brave individuals who maybe don’t get the recognition they should, however be careful not to detract from those who have been recognised and do fit the criteria.

There is one major factor that goes into any award, which may surprise you, and it is not bravery or gallantry but actually getting written up in the first place.

Very often the ground truth of the soldier’s war only comes to public recognition when someone takes the time to write a definitive history from a soldier’s perspective. (and that could be many years later)

Until that time only those who were there know the truth. (but that does not mean that those who were recognised do not deserve it)

15. If you want to know about Goose Green and the Falklands, There are plenty of well-written accounts of Goose Green either written by people who were there or based on interviews with those who were. You should also read a couple of the campaign histories. Julian Thompson's and Sandy Woodward's are both worth reading and will give you a better idea of the context in which the battle was fought.

The battle was a tremendous feat of arms by 2 PARA and there were many brave acts performed during the course of the action. Who could possibly pass opinion on the relative merit of those actions? Certainly not you or me.