Coms alternative from Pheonix

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by TABBER, Apr 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. for your info fellas, and ex-sigs lads mite be interested;

Armour/Pheonix in conjuction with Spectra Telecom Solutions (www.spectrats.co.uk) has put together a coms alternative to the main CP course. Its a new course running for little over a year. Designed as a resolve to a number of problems that occured in various theatres as a result of sigs cell staff without proper training on the civi, off the shelf kit, currently used within the industry. These problems resulted in the loss and near loss of contracts as well as causeing an unacceptable operational risk.

The course covers a theory refresh, HF, VHF and satcom systems, setup, programming, operating and maintanence. GPS tracking, IT module, vehcile fitting, CP apprication (so you know what your supporting, it runs next to the CP course anyway), ECM (jammers) and UXD/IED apprication. It also takes a look at infrusture design and procurment.

Instructors are a good professinal spread from UKSF sigs and civi telecoms companies. All with a lot of ground experience. Class sizes are very small and its taught progressivly and informaly in the way sigs should be taught.

All who attended have now gained employment as watchkeepers, tech supt, ground deployable signallers (with convoys or to FOB's) in the sigs cell of various PMC's/PSC's. It also gives transferable skills to work with enginnering/mining/UN/NGO's.

Anyone interested PM me, if your serious about doing it PM and I can pass you on to the chief instructor if need be.
    Be interested to hear what people think of the initotive of the course, relevent to the industry/good as a cross train for CPO's/deffantly needed within companies?

2. Hello Tabber,
    this maybe just the course I am looking for. I have decided that a job overseas, preferably in the security sector, is my prefered option. However, I am struggling to find a company that will meet my requirements due to not being SIA trained.

I am very concerned about using my resettlement to undertake the CP course as my mate has just failed. Does this qualification allow me to work in the security field or will I have to also attain my SIA licence.

I have ten months left of my 22 year Royal Signals employment, but am currently looking at early release in September.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated

3. As a coms operator you dont need an sia license, you'll still be armed and expected to know some basic psd (ever been in a convoy!?!). Even if the laws are changing and upgrading, just go noones gonna stop you and your well within your right to put 'telecoms' down on any forms your dubious about. Ive done everything properly, registerd with embassys, tax office, no problem at all. Dont think u even need one overseas anyway, theres no way it can be enforced.

4. As a coms operator you dont need an sia license, you'll still be armed and expected to know some basic psd (ever been in a convoy!?!). Even if the laws are changing and upgrading, just go noones gonna stop you and your well within your right to put 'telecoms' down on any forms your dubious about. Ive done everything properly, registerd with embassys, tax office, no problem at all. Dont think u even need one overseas anyway, theres no way it can be enforced.

5. TABBER is J D still at Phoenix?

6. I believe so from hearsay mate, but cant confirm first hand.

7. No probs, not been in contact with anyone there for a while.

Cheers bud.

8. Cheers for that info Tabber. I contacted Spectra today and they are sending me the relevant info tomorrow.

9. glad to help mate, its now being run by armour group through pheonix, it might be worth contacting the pheonix business office for exact details, i believe that they are offering it at a reduced rate for the next few months.

Have a good course man

10. Had the original course back in 01, am a bit stuck at the moment and not much chance of me being able to afford a course for a while!

11. rgr that mate, in between contracts im guessing. There are better qualifided people to give you a steer but try www.g4manningsolutions.com they helped me out. And i know some of there clients need guys. Mostly american company's so liciense not required. You can do a cheap SIA licence qualifing course in about 3 days I think, if youve do a course previously. Stirling services run one, and obviously its much cheaper than the full cse.

12. Nah been out of it for a while and got called up for Iraq last year, need to jump in again and make some cash, need to get busy!!

Cheers bud.

13. Have done the course myself and would thoroughly recommend it. Instructors were spot on, although one did tend to chat a lot!

Spectra have apparently split with Phoenix and are now running alone. All the instructors were Spectra so can not see what negative this would have on the course.

I have heard on the grapevine that Phoenix may start up their own comms course, just goes to prove that the Spectra course is good if Armor are going to try to duplicate it.

Anyone who is looking to move into the Security Industry as a Watchkeeper should do the course, plus until Armor bring their version on line, no one else teaches these subjects.

14. Haha roger that, one did chat a bit! however since deploying I have even found some of his annecdotes valuable.
    The chief instructor is now running it for Armour so there might be some competition there between the two courses, Armour is launching in June is the latest news ive had...