Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

Thatcher didn't go out to close the Mines. As said, it was about breaking the Unions control. From the 50s onwards, Unions in this country have had a big hand in destroying an awful lot of this country's great industrys.
Ship building and the docks. Liverpool(I know) docks was the largest in the country, another exam of the unions refusal to modernise. So Felixstowe and Southampton got modernised and Liverpool got left behind.
Our ship building wasn't much better, sometimes demanding stupid work practices and if they didn't get their way, the union would declare a "work to rule". Slowing everything, delayed delivery's and pushing the price of the vessels up. And the Unions wondered why the yards closed.....
Whilst I couldn't agree with you more, contrast with the loading of the ships for the Falklands: I suggest a few union conveners had their fortunes read to them.

Thatcher didn't go out to close the Mines. As said, it was about breaking the Unions control. From the 50s onwards, Unions in this country have had a big hand in destroying an awful lot of this country's great industrys.
Ship building and the docks. Liverpool(I know) docks was the largest in the country, another exam of the unions refusal to modernise. So Felixstowe and Southampton got modernised and Liverpool got left behind.
Our ship building wasn't much better, sometimes demanding stupid work practices and if they didn't get their way, the union would declare a "work to rule". Slowing everything, delayed delivery's and pushing the price of the vessels up. And the Unions wondered why the yards closed.....
I thought it was also in part due to the EU deciding Europe had too many shipyards to be economical so some had to go . Guess who's ?

I thought it was also in part due to the EU deciding Europe had too many shipyards to be economical so some had to go . Guess who's ?

The European Shipbuilding Strategy
Agreed in the 1980's but good luck finding any reference to it now
Strangely not much reference to it on Google

Attachments

• IP-97-836_EN.pdf
    22 KB · Views: 4
Whilst I couldn't agree with you more, contrast with the loading of the ships for the Falklands: I suggest a few union conveners had their fortunes read to them.
I've never been in a union, never ever intended to either. In fact I hate the Barstewards!!!!
Many years ago I was delivering a container to a place just outside Speek Airport, I got paid 50 notes to get in the back, no probs till some union driver turns up. Trys to force me to give up the 50 quid and get out of the trailer. I refused, so the twat dumped his trailer in front of my unit. We had to get the Police involved before the Union scouse drivers would move their trailer. I got blacked in Liverpool Docks for around 5 years.

As an asides a local North Wales poll today (of 3000 plus people) puts Labour on 16 percent and Conservative on 44 percent

Predominantly a Labour area, or it was.....

The further you get away from Liverpool the higher the Tory vote, it's the Scousers living in North Wales that up the Labour vote