Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

WW2 Holocaust denial become a criminal offence simple. Jack Straw looked at it for some reason did not act.
I should hope he ******* didn't.
Unless the government should tell people what they can think.

BNP were on the up at the time, there was even talk of them taking a HoC seat, so it was as much for internal Labour digestion.
The BNP were nowhere near getting an MP anywhere.
Lots of people believe the holocaust was a lie (or the numbers inflated), its not a crime to be stupid.

WW2 Holocaust denial become a criminal offence simple. Jack Straw looked at it for some reason did not act.

Hmm. Odd. Unless is was freedom of speech stuff. That or fear of offending those who supported various anti Israeli views.

Lots of people believe the holocaust was a lie (or the numbers inflated), its not a crime to be stupid.

No otherwise the Labour Party would be banned

Barking constituency. M Hodge had to make a big effort.

The rise in support for the British National Party since the turn of the 21st century saw the party attain 17% of the vote at the 2005 general election. Party members and supporters were optimistic that the party would soon make the breakthrough into UK parliament, and party leader Nick Griffin stood in Barking for the 2010 general election

Barking constituency. M Hodge had to make a big effort.

The rise in support for the British National Party since the turn of the 21st century saw the party attain 17% of the vote at the 2005 general election. Party members and supporters were optimistic that the party would soon make the breakthrough into UK parliament, and party leader Nick Griffin stood in Barking for the 2010 general election

17%?

So nowhere near a seat then?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
It’s a very difficult one. I would be more tempted to make it a civil matter rather than criminal. Treat it more like defamation or slander.

If we make Holocaust denial illegal do we also make it illegal to deny the gulags, the various mass deaths in China, the Bengal Famine or more recent Indian famines?

It’s a very difficult one. I would be more tempted to make it a civil matter rather than criminal. Treat it more like defamation or slander.

If we make Holocaust denial illegal do we also make it illegal to deny the gulags, the various mass deaths in China, the Bengal Famine or more recent Indian famines?

Why should it be a civil matter? If people want to deny something that happened 70 odd years ago, let them. Either take the piss out of them or ignore them.

I'm not sure we'd deny gulags etc if evidence exits. Concrete evidence makes the Holocaust undeniable as does the events such as the Irish famine etc.
To deny something happened in the face of world wide scrutiny that proves it did suggests a hatred of the victims. Why would one deny millions were gassed when the evidence is that's what happened ? Why would one suggest it's a lie in the face of evidence? Only to side with and exonerate a particularly nasty regime.
Your point ref slander I do concur with.
Hefty fines would curb a lot of this mullarkey.

I'm not sure we'd deny gulags etc if evidence exits. Concrete evidence makes the Holocaust undeniable as does the events such as the Irish famine etc.
To deny something happened in the face of world wide scrutiny that proves it did suggests a hatred of the victims. Why would one deny millions were gassed when the evidence is that's what happened ? Why would one suggest it's a lie in the face of evidence? Only to side with and exonerate a particularly nasty regime.
Your point ref slander I do concur with.
Hefty fines would curb a lot of this mullarkey.
Some of the people making these kind of claims don’t have any money, and those that do are so heavily hidden behind a wall of lawyers you’d never see the cash, or the fine is so small as to be insignificant.

Jail on the other hand, focuses the mind…

Alamo

LE
I think Stacker’s bang-on. Why should it be a criminal matter to be a fool? Instead of threatening people with an ever growing Hurty Names Act we should just call them twats; like we used to with chubbers before the obesity crisis.

Bordon/hants

War Hero
The Jack straw whose constituency was one of those culturally enriched , vibrant northern cities... that Jack Straw?
To be honest I am not big on politics..I did wonder though why there was all this Anti-Semitism stuff in the papers a while back, and why Labour had a problem.

I then caught a bit of film of some Labour MP (I think or anyway someone Labour) playing up to a crowd at a local election / meeting, the film was taken from the floor but it was obvious from the attire they were all Mosque types.

Then it made sense, if the people who will vote for you are the mob to which Israel is the Anti Christ, you will get more votes if you say nasty stuff about who they hate.

Or is that too simplistic an observation?

Latest Threads