Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

I'll just leave this here:

As a mea culpa, the ex-Mayor offered this:

'. . . He said he regretted the "momentary lapse of judgment", adding that he "should have known better".'

'Momentary lapse of judgement', eh?

You just happened to be passing by and thought, 'Y'know what? I'll pop in and offer the newly marrieds hearty wishes for the future!'?

:rolleyes:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Although there's always intense rivalry between F1 team drivers I'd be very surprised if that was the case. Regardless of his silly utterances on BLM, veganism and environmentalism etc, Hamilton is an insanely good driver. But he's not going to drive forever, and Mercedes will want to keep winning past Hamilton's drive-by date.

Is "drive-by" culturally inappropriate?

Probably, but slavery and murder certainly are and, since certain well-documented wartime behaviours don't seem to bother either Mercedes or Hamilton, I think you can be safely forgiven this once.

More Labour politicians up before the court for election fraud.

Asaf Afzal, ex-Labour councillor and Chairman of the Pakistan Community Centre in Derby, stood for reelection in the May 2019 City Council elections, ultimately losing his seat to the Lib Dems.

In a statement, Derbyshire Police said: “Four people have been charged with perverting the course of justice following enquiries into an alleged incident of election fraud relating to the Derby City Council elections in May 2019.

Those four were named as -

Mohan Singh, 77 – two counts of perverting the course of justice;

Baljit Rehalu, 41 – two counts of perverting the course of justice;

Mohinder Rehala, 53, – one count of perverting the course of justice.

Asaf Afzal, 53, of Colwyn Avenue, Derby – one count of perverting the course of justice.”

Seems to be something of a pattern emerging with Labour people of South Asian descent or representing those communities having trouble counting.

Stop the presses! Here's another one - lied about his address to qualify as a Labour councillor. 17 months gaol and £30k in fines.

Oh no!

I genuinely lost a bet with myself. I saw a court reporter I follow on al-Twatter say that was a Representation of the People's Act offence up at Swansea Crown (always fun, bit of a rare charge).

Not only turned out to be an IC1, but also a Tory!

Why someone with a conviction for benefit fraud is near representative democracy is beyond me. Fairly sure you'd fail a Hackney Carriage licence with that form?

Genuinely, if that had been the sort of machine politics I have come to expect within certain local communities and a certain party, I would not have been surprised. This genuinely surprised me.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Genuinely, if that had been the sort of machine politics I have come to expect within certain local communities and a certain party, I would not have been surprised. This genuinely surprised me.
RACIST!

From recent events justified, but let's not let that get in the way of a good lynching.

Why someone with a conviction for benefit fraud is near representative democracy is beyond me. Fairly sure you'd fail a Hackney Carriage licence with that form?

She was not that close to the democratic process.

From the link;
Thomas Coke-Smyth, prosecuting, said in April, 2019, Wycherley was asked by the agent acting for Jonathan Liam Jones, the Welsh Conservative candidate in the upcoming by-election in the Resolven ward of Neath Port Talbot Council, to find eligible voters to sign his nomination papers.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I am not at all sure I want fraud in parties which will be contesting elections?
I am certain the bold above is understatement, but I am sure. Regardless of party affiliation this sort of thing must be stamped out wherever it's found. It destroys faith in democracy, something that's not held in sufficiently high regard anyway.

I am certain the bold above is understatement, but I am sure. Regardless of party affiliation this sort of thing must be stamped out wherever it's found. It destroys faith in democracy, something that's not held in sufficiently high regard anyway.
6a4c0669d2ff5e7f609475715fc54c30.jpg

My compliments!

Excellent post, and it is the least worst system of all the ones we have tried.

It is worth defending - against all threats.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

TamH70

MIA

Latest Threads