Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Jo Ryle's opinion article, on the Open Democracy site, claims Team Corbyn were subject to internal sabotage by Labour staffers. I wonder if there will be story: "How we saved Britain from Corbyn and McDonnell". That really would be country before party.

I saw from the inside how Labour staff worked to prevent a Labour government The work of senior Labour staffers to stop Labour winning is only just starting to come out.

Joe Ryle 7 August 2020

"I don't remember anyone ever getting to the bottom of where the computers had disappeared to. But the responsibility for ensuring the offices were set up was Labour HQ’s and this was to be a first warning sign."

"The most shocking sabotage I personally witnessed was an encounter with the notoriously difficult regional offices who were often the most ideologically opposed to the Corbyn regime. At my request, attempts were made to organise a rally for John McDonnell via one of the regional offices. Given that John was one of the most senior members of the shadow cabinet, I expected my request to be met with enthusiasm."

"We were a young and diverse team, mostly new to electoral politics and passionate about our jobs. Of course we made mistakes. But we came incredibly close to changing this country’s politics for good. Without the actions of this small group of highly experienced saboteurs, I genuinely believe we would now be three years into a Labour government investing in our NHS and public services – an outcome which surely would have better prepared the country for the Coronavirus pandemic."

Link to article: I saw from the inside how Labour staff worked to prevent a Labour government

Ryles prior involvement with the Green Party and John McDonnell's shadow group may have some bearing on the matter, given that non-radical Labour staffers suspected the shadow group was seeking to undermine them.

Labour health advisers angered by John McDonnell's parallel group
Two of shadow chancellor’s new advisers are or have recently been members of other political parties
"The documents make clear that Joe Ryle, an aide to McDonnell who until at least autumn 2014 was a press spokesman for the Green MEP Keith Taylor, helped put together the group."

philc

LE
Jo Ryle's opinion article, on the Open Democracy site, claims Team Corbyn were subject to internal sabotage by Labour staffers. I wonder if there will be story: "How we saved Britain from Corbyn and McDonnell". That really would be country before party.

I saw from the inside how Labour staff worked to prevent a Labour government The work of senior Labour staffers to stop Labour winning is only just starting to come out.

Joe Ryle 7 August 2020

"I don't remember anyone ever getting to the bottom of where the computers had disappeared to. But the responsibility for ensuring the offices were set up was Labour HQ’s and this was to be a first warning sign."

"The most shocking sabotage I personally witnessed was an encounter with the notoriously difficult regional offices who were often the most ideologically opposed to the Corbyn regime. At my request, attempts were made to organise a rally for John McDonnell via one of the regional offices. Given that John was one of the most senior members of the shadow cabinet, I expected my request to be met with enthusiasm."

"We were a young and diverse team, mostly new to electoral politics and passionate about our jobs. Of course we made mistakes. But we came incredibly close to changing this country’s politics for good. Without the actions of this small group of highly experienced saboteurs, I genuinely believe we would now be three years into a Labour government investing in our NHS and public services – an outcome which surely would have better prepared the country for the Coronavirus pandemic."

Link to article: I saw from the inside how Labour staff worked to prevent a Labour government

Ryles prior involvement with the Green Party and John McDonnell's shadow group may have some bearing on the matter, given that non-radical Labour staffers suspected the shadow group was seeking to undermine them.

Two of shadow chancellor’s new advisers are or have recently been members of other political parties
"The documents make clear that Joe Ryle, an aide to McDonnell who until at least autumn 2014 was a press spokesman for the Green MEP Keith Taylor, helped put together the group."

I have seen this line of argument before hard left Labour blame Blarites for the election failure of 2017, Labour were so close, if they had pulled as one they would of one. Frankly all a bit sour grapes, Corbyn had been in charge 2 years, that he failed to stamp his mark on the party is indicative of the main, an abysmal organiser being one of his many failings.

If a new appointed CEO has not made a company his after 2 years, you get rid, after a defeat Labour kept him, the fault lies with Labour.

Post 50,684 - Have we heard anything of Comrade McD The Quartermaster recently?
He hasn't gone away you know...

From the Guardian 20th July:
Care services must now be nationalised, says John McDonnell
The former shadow chancellor will set out his vision for a post-Covid-19 economy on Wednesday

Although he has probably exited the Labour front bench forever, he continues to campaign for hard left objectives. While he puts on the caring front viz NHS, care homes, education etc, the Maoist and Marxist doctrines are at the heart of everything beneath the media bytes. He supported or encouraged Long Bailey with the message to weaponise the NHS and schools and to strive to recruit from the union members.

Another Marxist bemoans the "sabotage" of John McDonnell's long march and hard left Corbynism. https://johnmcinally.home.blog/2020/07/09/marxist-method-and-orientation-to-mass-organisations-of-the-working-class/

The former shadow chancellor will set out his vision for a post-Covid-19 economy on Wednesday

Although he has probably exited the Labour front bench forever, he continues to campaign for hard left objectives. While he puts on the caring front viz NHS, care homes, education etc, the Maoist and Marxist doctrines are at the heart of everything beneath the media bytes. He supported or encouraged Long Bailey with the message to weaponise the NHS and schools and to strive to recruit from the union members.

Another Marxist bemoans the "sabotage" of John McDonnell's long march and hard left Corbynism. https://johnmcinally.home.blog/2020/07/09/marxist-method-and-orientation-to-mass-organisations-of-the-working-class/
His vision? Has no one told him that he is not actually in Government?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

Joe Ryle 7 August 2020

"We came very close to changing this country's politics for good."

- yes, and the only reason that that didn't get a resounding battering the first time round was the totally inept campaign run by May. Even then, Labour came second (albeit the DUP had to be bedfellowed by the Tories).

A less inept campaign later, that offering was treated to an 80-seat Tory majority.

This article looks like a rehash of the 'report' of a couple of months back which was an exoneration of Corbyn. Actually, to be a little less polite, it was a shít-flinging exercise designed to shift the blame.

There's an interesting comparison to be made with the BBC's national and local news teams, in terms of those "notoriously difficult regional offices who were often the most ideologically opposed to the Corbyn regime". The centralised, cosmopolitan echo chamber has little or no comprehension of the feelings of those outside its immediate circle. The regional guys have two problems: dealing with an often alien purview from Central Office; and trying to sell that to the electorate.

Time and again, Corbyn and his team were seen as an out-of-touch bunch of middle-class intellectuals (ironic, given his personal academic record) who didn't have to deal with real life, much less acknowledge it and the effects on the traditional core vote.

"We were a young and diverse team, mostly new to electoral politics and passionate about our jobs. Of course we made mistakes."

Yes, and? Again, because you're fired up and think the world spins in a certain way doesn't mean that others agree with you - and that's even within your own party, let alone elsewhere. You might consider why that is/was, Jo.
Corbyn had been in charge 2 years, that he failed to stamp his mark on the party is indicative of the main, an abysmal organiser being one of his many failings.
Corbyn had very much made his mark on the party. That was the problem. The country doesn't want a Marxist government. The electorate didn't make a mistake and Labour didn't somehow fail to deliver its message; the country heard loud and clear and said 'No'.

Corbyn epitomised to the electorate all that was wrong with Labour. That those 'on message' can't see that shows that there's a huge gulf of understanding between the party machine and the people it claims to represent whose votes it wants.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

He isn't the only person to have had that idea. He'll claim it as his own if the Tories develop the idea, though.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought that, according to that cretin, everything needs to be nationalised...?!
There's a bloody good case to be made for a nationalised service, especially given the performance of some of the private-sector providers over the last few months.

What it doesn't need to have happen to it, as @Electromagnetic notes, is for it to become another impossible-to-remove public-sector nest for the hard-line unions. That's Cuddly Uncle John's real goal with this, not an improvement to services.

Dread

LE

Joe Ryle 7 August 2020

I tried commenting a few times today on that article (from the link on the Guido Fawkes website): funnily enough my messages thanking Jo Ryle for the funniest sitcom writing of the year and similar were all deleted.

I tried commenting a few times today on that article (from the link on the Guido Fawkes website): funnily enough my messages thanking Jo Ryle for the funniest sitcom writing of the year and similar were all deleted.
That article actually came as a refreshing revelation, that somewhere in the opposition there was a counter-revolution at work* putting country before party. As you say it could make a great sitcom.
*Alleged but unproven.

Last edited:
There's a bloody good case to be made for a nationalised service, especially given the performance of some of the private-sector providers over the last few months.

What it doesn't need to have happen to it, as @Electromagnetic notes, is for it to become another impossible-to-remove public-sector nest for the hard-line unions. That's Cuddly Uncle John's real goal with this, not an improvement to services.
Really? Which providers are you referring to? Most have done the best they can in an industry with incredibly tight margins, having C19 positive patients discharged back into them without being informed of their status, being at the back of the queue for PPE and sometimes having up to 50% of staff self-isolating.

The lack of support for the care sector will come out as the real scandal of the government’s response to C19.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Really? Which providers are you referring to? Most have done the best they can in an industry with incredibly tight margins, having C19 positive patients discharged back into them without being informed of their status, being at the back of the queue for PPE and sometimes having up to 50% of staff self-isolating.

The lack of support for the care sector will come out as the real scandal of the government’s response to C19.
Anecdotal conversations with some of those in the supply chain as well as good friends who are medics.

Hoarding of PPE in the NHS was a problem. I can’t go much further than that. Suffice to say that some operating theatre staff hardly covered themselves in glory.

It’ll all come out in the wash, I’m sure.

Latest Threads