Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

Sadly the political class of the last couple of decades has attracted poor quality on both sides of the political divide, and a media that is not competent or honest. I hope that the Labour party members can rise to the challenge of outing the left once and for all.
And therein lies the problem.

We have a bunch of "never had a proper job" MP's with the debating skills of Bugsy on both sides of the house. To make matters worse, we have a bunch of semi literate, biased journalists who get paid by the word not the content.
And the icing on the cake is social media.

I fear the days of intelligent political debate are behind us..... I mean, just look at the brexit threads on here!

I fear the days of intelligent political debate are behind us..... I mean, just look at the brexit threads on here!
Is you saying I is a bit thick?

Interesting

He goes on a bit, doesn't he?

The most relevant point he makes is that working class parents want middle class kids. What he then doesn't say is that traditional Labour had no problem with this concept. The author might have grown up in a County Durham pit village but doesn't mention that no miner wanted his son to follow him down the pit. Although many on the left won't acknowledge it, the real reason that they hated Mrs Thatcher was that she recognised the fundamental truth of that original statement - working class parents want middle class kids - and turned a Labour doctrine into a Conservative one.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
And therein lies the problem.

We have a bunch of "never had a proper job" MP's with the debating skills of Bugsy on both sides of the house. To make matters worse, we have a bunch of semi literate, biased journalists who get paid by the word not the content.
And the icing on the cake is social media.

No. We have a bunch of 'journalists' who write to a script, often for peer or employer approval, rather than reporting the facts.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

The most relevant point he makes is that working class parents want middle class kids. What he then doesn't say is that traditional Labour had no problem with this concept. The author might have grown up in a County Durham pit village but doesn't mention that no miner wanted his son to follow him down the pit. Although many on the left won't acknowledge it, the real reason that they hated Mrs Thatcher was that she recognised the fundamental truth of that original statement - working class parents want middle class kids - and turned a Labour doctrine into a Conservative one.
He certainly does go on. It's almost like he has been asked for XX words but has said I only have YY words, to which the editors says I still need XX words! Verbal diarrhoea in print!

No. We have a bunch of 'journalists' who write to a script, often for peer or employer approval, rather than reporting the facts.
We also have a lot of journalists who think that their cleverness is the story, not the event they are supposed to be reporting. For me, one of the worst offenders in this category is Beth Rigby from Sky news. She doesn't ask questions to elicit information, or even to address public concern. Self-satisfied Beth reads her carefully crafted questions from a prepared script, trying with all her mustered faux seriousness to show just how smart she is. She then smiles smugly in the firm belief that she has asked the killer question that will do her 'opponent' down and see them forever banished from public life. The only thing missing is that she doesn't wink conspiratorially at the camera and say, "Did you see what I did there?"

I believe she may have walked into the wrong lecture hall in uni. Instead of the door marked 'Journalism', I think she inadvertently, in a brief attack of dyslexia induced -ism blindness, accidentally stumbled drunkenly through the one marked 'Narcissism' instead.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

Both my grandfathers were miners. Both said none of their sons would go down the pit (between them, they had a total of seven), and none did.

It used to be that every working class family wanted better. The aspiration was a class up. There was the pride of having a first child in the family go to university.

The current 'Labour' Party is built around class guilt, and straightforward emotional blackmail. I've seen idiots on Facebook parading their guilt - "I know I earn loads, and I feel guilty about that, but I'm still working-class at heart."

Yeah, f*ck off.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
We also have a lot of journalists who think that their cleverness is the story, not the event they are supposed to be reporting. For me, one of the worst offenders in this category is Beth Rigby from Sky news. She doesn't ask questions to elicit information, or even to address public concern. Self-satisfied Beth reads her carefully crafted questions from a prepared script, trying with all her mustered faux seriousness to show just how smart she is. She then smiles smugly in the firm belief that she has asked the killer question that will do her 'opponent' down and see them forever banished from public life. The only thing missing is that she doesn't wink conspiratorially at the camera and say, "Did you see what I did there?"

I believe she may have walked into the wrong lecture hall in uni. Instead of the door marked 'Journalism', I think she inadvertently, in a brief attack of dyslexia induced -ism blindness, accidentally stumbled drunkenly through the one marked 'Narcissism' instead.
"Let me ask you a question which proves my agenda, rather than actually ask you what's going on."

Interesting

Wow that is someones therapy in print, shame he and other Labour MP’s did not have the integrity to say anything derogatory about Magic Grandpa at the time.

The cynical part of me says he would have kept stum if he’d been re-elected.

YM

Last edited:
It used to be that every working class family wanted better. The aspiration was a class up.
Now you're being silly. That's like saying that the Great, Great, Great Grandson of John Harrison, a miner from Hetton-le-Hole, will be King George VII.

Oh.

Both my grandfathers were miners. Both said none of their sons would go down the pit (between them, they had a total of seven), and none did.

It used to be that every working class family wanted better. The aspiration was a class up. There was the pride of having a first child in the family go to university.

The current 'Labour' Party is built around class guilt, and straightforward emotional blackmail. I've seen idiots on Facebook parading their guilt - "I know I earn loads, and I feel guilty about that, but I'm still working-class at heart."

Yeah, f*ck off.
Labour is all about lowering the living standards of the many, whilst the Labour politburo lord it over you from their Dachas in Islington and Hampstead

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Labour is all about lowering the living standards of the many, whilst the Labour politburo lord it over you from their Dachas in Islington and Hampstead
It's very easy, from a position of upper middle-class social comfort and financial security, to decide for others what's right.

I think you are all doing Grandpa a disservice by decrying him.

In a hundred years time history researchers will uncover the documentation showing he was a member of the 1922 Committee and fulfilled his mandate successfully.

Latest Threads