Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

Corbyn’s plea to halt any evictions really came from the heart, he’s a real man of the people.

I was just a tad miffed that he didn’t mention just how many MONTHS in arrears the renters he mentioned were in, in the DAYS those renters have been self isolating. :)
I wondered because the way he said it was that people were being booted out for not paying rent after a few days. I thought it was really difficult to boot people out and it had to go through the courts (which are closed).

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Blimey the old boy must be popular over 2,400 replies .

Slime

LE
I wondered because the way he said it was that people were being booted out for not paying rent after a few days. I thought it was really difficult to boot people out and it had to go through the courts (which are closed).
The Labour party are grumbling that the process can be as little now as three months, instead of just two.

Bearing in mind Corbyn said the people had already been threatened due to being in arrears* then those people were already in arrears some time before the lockdown.

He if course didn’t mention that no one from a social landlord or council will be evicted.

*we are now five days days from many peoples time in private rented accommodation to pay rent, so for many of them they wouldn’t possibly be able to have accrued arrears since lockdown.

Any sacked or on furlow would of course be eligible for housing benefit from day one under the new powers.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Ah, but hang on.

Corbyn is describing BoJo's financial solutions for the Covid-19 outbreak as a hijacking of his General Election ideas for addressing the 'emergency' of austerity.

What he doesn't grasp is that the amounts of money he was prepared to give away on a given, normal day are what BoJo is releasing in a time of real emergency. So, there's no comparison.

That really is the point: he does not have the ability to understand the difference.

Many of Corbyn's 'emergencies' aren't because of an unjust society but because of individuals' poor decisions.

Austerity isn't the result of Tory parsimony it's the result of Labour profligacy - something else he doesn't grasp.

This is a man obsessed with the 'oppressed', his inference/starting point being that all must be the fault of 'The Establishment'.

Ah, but hang on.

Corbyn is describing BoJo's financial solutions for the Covid-19 outbreak as a hijacking of his General Election ideas for addressing the 'emergency' of austerity.

What he doesn't grasp is that the amounts of money he was prepared to give away on a given, normal day are what BoJo is releasing in a time of real emergency. So, there's no comparison.

That really is the point: he does not have the ability to understand the difference.

Many of Corbyn's 'emergencies' aren't because of an unjust society but because of individuals' poor decisions.

Austerity isn't the result of Tory parsimony it's the result of Labour profligacy - something else he doesn't grasp.

This is a man obsessed with the 'oppressed', his inference/starting point being that all must be the fault of 'The Establishment'.
Corbyn is part of establishment, he just doesn't see it

He's had a privileged upbringing and has just spent his life sniping from the back benches

I went on holiday to Cuba some 30+ years ago. The locals assumed that because I spoke English I was Canadian. Presumably a lot of Canucks went there at the time.
There were a lot of Canadians staying at the same hotel as us right enough

Absolutely bang on. I'm sick to my back teeth trying to explain to sone of my more liberal minded friends on social media, the difference between Corbyn's spend spend spend policies, and the Conservative Government's response to a world wide pandemic.
People who don't understand the difference between the two, really are thick as pig shite.

Oh I think he does - what he (and senior leadership in general) is relying on is that vast swathes of the public now have an attention span measured in Shakes and seldom read beyond the (oft misleading) headline.

As such Once shared by the Canary and AAV onto face ache an Twitter this becomes fact and any dissenting opinion is no more than "Tory trolls "

Slime

LE
Ah, but hang on.

Can I just tag a few things onto that.

Corbyn has called for construction workers to stop working, so plumbers, gas engineers, sparks and locksmiths etc.

The Labour party have criticised estate agents for continuing to work, or for entering peoples houses.

But, he has also said the government should buy all the empty houses in the UK and GIVE them to poor people so they can self isolate in more spacious conditions.

Great idea, all we need now are all the estate agents, plumbers, sparks, gas engineers, locksmiths AND removal men or van hire drivers to mingle with those self isolating so they can move :)

Can I just tag a few things onto that.

Corbyn has called for construction workers to stop working, so plumbers, gas engineers, sparks and locksmiths etc.

The Labour party have criticised estate agents for continuing to work, or for entering peoples houses.

But, he has also said the government should buy all the empty houses in the UK and GIVE them to poor people so they can self isolate in more spacious conditions.

Great idea, all we need now are all the estate agents, plumbers, sparks, gas engineers, locksmiths AND removal men or van hire drivers to mingle with those self isolating so they can move :)
You can scratch off 'removal men': poor people can move bag and baggage with eveything contained in 2 x Asda Bags For Life and a Tesco trolley.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Corbyn today at PMQs was upset that Boris praised him in his last PNQs before the next Labour Leader takes over. Jezza most upset pointed out that he did not need an obituary and that he would still be holding the government to task. It was very pointed in that he did not say he would do so from the Back Benches so is stil angling for a Sgphadow Cabinet post.

The next leader needs to dump Corbyn as soon and as hard as he/she possibly can. Of course Corbyn is probably expecting the counting team to come up with RLB as winner, regardless of how many votes the candidates actually get! :rolleyes:

Corbyn today at PMQs was upset that Boris praised him in his last PNQs before the next Labour Leader takes over. Jezza most upset pointed out that he did not need an obituary and that he would still be holding the government to task. It was very pointed in that he did not say he would do so from the Back Benches so is stil angling for a Sgphadow Cabinet post.

The next leader needs to dump Corbyn as soon and as hard as he/she possibly can. Of course Corbyn is probably expecting the counting team to come up with RLB as winner, regardless of how many votes the candidates actually get! :rolleyes:
It was his usual shouting and bawling. As someone said empty drums make most noise.

It was singularly graceless. Corbyn is normally reasonably polite, if nothing less.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Absolutely bang on. I'm sick to my back teeth trying to explain to sone of my more liberal minded friends on social media, the difference between Corbyn's spend spend spend policies, and the Conservative Government's response to a world wide pandemic.
People who don't understand the difference between the two, really are thick as pig shite.
Confirmation bias - the Tories are only doing 'what was possible all along'. They are thus confirmed in their intellectual and moral superiority. It's the rest of us who're thick as pig shit.

Latest Threads