Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The more Labour advance ideologies like this, the more they’ll continue to alienate their traditional core vote. They either haven’t grasped, or wilfully refuse to do so, the realities of their arse kicking at the last election.
Apart from the fact that positive discrimination is manifestly unfair and wrong, there are other issues, such as the fact that young white males for example are increasingly disadvantaged and closing down employment opportunities to them further promotes disadvantage and creates resentment. Labour and their supporters really do exist in a weird alternative world bubble.
...young white males from deprived areas are now seen as in as much need of help as those from the travelling community.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh, and I've said before - there's no such thing as positive discrimination. It's just discrimination.

In much the same way as some people conflate 'equality' and 'revenge'.

Oh, and I've said before - there's no such thing as positive discrimination. It's just discrimination.

Exactly, I’ve always thought that positive discrimination has the whiff of creating a wrong to right a wrong (perceived or otherwise).

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
...young white males from deprived areas are now seen as in as much need of help as those from the travelling community.
Except by those who wish to divide and rule.

You wouldn't hire someone who only spoke Swahili to work in Russian mission control
I might. It is entirely dependent on both his/her other attributes and skills, the particular role they had to fulfill, and whether or not anyone they had to communicate with verbally also spoke Swahili.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That's the crack in the door that needs to be very carefully watched.

Let's not say "xxx group is challenged in English; the standard for being an astronaut includes speaking English; let's change the standard so xxx group can be astronauts.... hey, look on the news.... a space rocket crashed".
Absolutely. On the other hand there used to be height requirements in the Guards (soldiers not officers) and in the police. This was done for what where thought you be good reasons not to discriminate but it did have that effect. Actually the reasons were not really all that good and short police officers (or Guardsmen/persons) are not a problem.

The topic of muslim headscarves comes up often enough and many people say that muslim women should not be allowed to wear them in uniform. One rule and all that. We know that it would be an artificial barrier to recruiting muslim women and yet muslim women wearing a headscarf has no effect on their operational effectiveness - bit like turbans on sikhs.

I'm spoilt for choice as to where this should go:

Truly, he is the gift that keeps on giving:

'He said: “I think Labour Live was a good idea. Obviously, it could have been more of a success, but I’m glad that it was tried. There’s no shame in trying it. It shows the kind of thing we need to be doing going forward.” '

Allow me to translate: It was a disaster. Hey! let's do it again.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

'He said: “I think Labour Live was a good idea. Obviously, it could have been more of a success, but I’m glad that it was tried. There’s no shame in trying it. It shows the kind of thing we need to be doing going forward.” '

The very use of the words 'political education'.

The only word missing is 'camps'.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

I thought that was the role of the LSE and Ruskin University

Mebbes aye, mebbes naw: Richard had A Very Big Think about this dilemma and came to the conclusion that the 2nd Viscount Stansgate merited a more defined and permanent legacy.

. . . after which he then went home for a slap-up feed with lashings of pop.

Don't forget SOAS and Birkbeck

Would that Ruskin be Anglia Ruskin. I.e. Cambridge Secretarial College, aka Cambridge College of Arts and Technology (as beautifully described in Tom Sharpe's Wilt, who taught there) aka Anglia HE College, aka Anglia Poly, aka Anglia Polytechnic University before quietly dropping the Poly and becoming Anglia Ruskin. Record numbers of complaints from students about the quality of the teaching which included an out-of-court settlement north of £61k to one student. I suppose you can put lipstick on a pig

Last edited:

Henry Deedes has his number:
“Burgon, a well fed, oafish figure, has dismayed many of his colleagues in recent weeks with his commitment to Jeremy Corbyn’s disastrous 2019 manifesto. Neil Coyle (Labour, Bermondsey and Old Southwark) yesterday took to Twitter to describe Burgon as an ‘idiot’, which some think was being too kind”. :smile:

Last edited:
Was looking to find how magic grandad performed in PMQs today, not found the video yet but I did find a comment:
Corbyn was magnificent at PMQs today.
Bitter, twisted, impotent, incompetent, serial failure, charmless and barely able to read out what has been scripted for him and wholly unable to conduct a debate.
People who voted for this hugely unpleasant, dangerous, deluded and poisonous ogre need to think long and hard why they did so.
But they won’t. People in a blind cult are beyond reason.

Was looking to find how magic grandad performed in PMQs today, not found the video yet but I did find a comment:
Corbyn was magnificent at PMQs today.
Bitter, twisted, impotent, incompetent, serial failure, charmless and barely able to read out what has been scripted for him and wholly unable to conduct a debate.
People who voted for this hugely unpleasant, dangerous, deluded and poisonous ogre need to think long and hard why they did so.
But they won’t. People in a blind cult are beyond reason.
His carer was sitting next to him as usual, lending moral and possibly incontinence support. I do find it weird, spooky and slightly inappropriate that she is always there; I've no idea what her brief is (Wimmin and Ethnics, or something?) but whichever Questions are to be put to the PM, you'd think the Leader of the Opposition would have his key adviser on economics, education, housing or whatever close by for on-the-fly advice. It's a symptom of dysfunction.

His carer was sitting next to him as usual, lending moral and possibly incontinence support. I do find it weird, spooky and slightly inappropriate that she is always there; I've no idea what her brief is (Wimmin and Ethnics, or something?) but whichever Questions are to be put to the PM, you'd think the Leader of the Opposition would have his key adviser on economics, education, housing or whatever close by for on-the-fly advice. It's a symptom of dysfunction.
. . . which begs the question why, until she fell from grace, Hackney Abbott was always framed with Himself, cheek by very generous jowl.

Don't be silly. Give it a trendy name like AA or BBEEE and it's just wonderful.

Latest Threads