Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

True, but a spirited opposition, however small, can get up to a lot of mischief if they're clever enough and other parties are stupid enough to get involved. If they just agitate from the back benches the only ones they'll damage will be thier own Party, what's left of it :)
Never underestimate the oppo, no matter how weak they may appear. Complacency costs. Treat them like they can upset your plans and work to unhorse them as though they are as good as you think you are.

philc

LE
Rumblings about the fact that no BAME candidate has been selected for the vote leader.

Step forward Lisa Nandy for she is the token BAME candidate, nope me neither. Seems her Daddy is an Indian Marxist who came to the UK in the 50s so tea and cake all round as Labour are a true inclusive party.

They seriously need to ditch this baggage in the 21C and select most able not have lists or certain criteria. Its holding them back and the most of the public dont care.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Rumblings about the fact that no BAME candidate has been selected for the vote leader.

Step forward Lisa Nandy for she is the token BAME candidate, nope me neither. Seems her Daddy is an Indian Marxist who came to the UK in the 50s so tea and cake all round as Labour are a true inclusive party.

They seriously need to ditch this baggage in the 21C and select most able not have lists or certain criteria. Its holding them back and the most of the public dont care.
I think if anything that people are increasingly fed up of tokenism.

I for one am sick of hearing about women in the boardroom, the gender pay gap, transsexuals, BAME... it doesn’t encourage inclusiveness. It merely highlights and maintains differences and separations.

I for one am sick of hearing about women in the boardroom, the gender pay gap, transsexuals, BAME... it doesn’t encourage inclusiveness. It merely highlights and maintains differences and separations.
This is an issue with the Media in my opnion, most of the population couldn't give a toss who/what you are as long as:

a) You are good at your job
b) You are not an a***hole
c) You don't ram it down peoples throats

The Media see it as their mission to point out every difference there is and ensure that everyone else knows about it, and that is what pisses people off.

Blogg

LE

Correct.

Forced equality of outcome rather than equality of opportunity.

Net result: dumb chancers building their "careers" off that and displacing real talent

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Outstanding. I can vote for Her Royal Highness the Baroness Nugee in the first round and the RL-B in round two. Starmer's likely to win which will probably be a train smash in the medium term and he is likely to.have to give the two fragrant loveliest mentioned above a senior position each in the Shadow Cabinet. This is all working out rather nicely.
Agreed with all that, but suspect Starmer is clever enough to know that his term will not last long.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Never underestimate the oppo, no matter how weak they may appear. Complacency costs. Treat them like they can upset your plans and work to unhorse them as though they are as good as you think you are.
Machiavelli?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Maintaining differences and separations creates grievance, and provides opportunities to smash the system.

See one M.Merkel for an example.

Correct.

Forced equality of outcome rather than equality of opportunity.

Net result: dumb chancers building their "careers" off that and displacing real talent
The problem there is that the Labour Party is now full of dumb chancers and no one of discernible talent. There is no Tony Benn one of the best orators there has ever been, or Clement Atlee principled people who were good statesmen, they are just a bunch of Student Union communists that have no idea how to behave in respectable society.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
This is an issue with the Media in my opnion, most of the population couldn't give a toss who/what you are as long as:

The Media see it as their mission to point out every difference there is and ensure that everyone else knows about it, and that is what pisses people off.
I did chuckle when reading on the BBC that a series of black media figures had written a letter in support of Naga Munchetty that the BBC saw fit to list such intellectual shakers and movers as Gina Yashere. Still unfunny after all these years. But, somehow, still getting the gigs.

You mean on merit!?! OMG! It'll never catch on in today's woke world where (at school) nobody loses or comes second, everyone is a winner!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I did chuckle when reading on the BBC that a series of black media figures had written a letter in support of Naga Munchetty that the BBC saw fit to list such intellectual shakers and movers as Gina Yashere. Still unfunny after all these years. But, somehow, still getting the gigs.
A quick Google tells me she's one of the spate of unfunny "Nigerian mum" comediennes* who appeared a few years ago, and you only see now on Dave re-runs of Mock the Week.

* I find using the traditional feminine nouns (actress, comedienne, fellatrix etc) where applicable tends to cause those of certain demographics / afilliations to self combust.

It's the little things that get me through the day.

One thing that gets me now, is that they all want to be called actors....except at awards time when there is a prize for best ACTOR and ACTRESS so what are they?

Just watching a chap called James Mills on BBC News, who apparently was Jeremy Corbyn’s strategic advisor at the last Election.
I’m shocked. Corbyn had a strategic advisor?!
Here it is . . .

"And today's decision on a Second referendum is, if you'll give it a spin Jeremy . . "

Here it is . . .

"And today's decision on a Second referendum is, if you'll give it a spin Jeremy . . "

Where's the "We'll offer the public a credible yes, no and maybe option and then vote against the no option"

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
One thing that gets me now, is that they all want to be called actors....except at awards time when there is a prize for best ACTOR and ACTRESS so what are they?
Or black music awards. Yes, we have country but that's by genre, not ethnicity.

My aikido instructor quit the police force because of tokenism. A particular bugbear was the Black Police Federation. When he challenged why this was needed, he was told, "To represent the interests of black police officers."

His response, that there already exists in the form of the Police Federation an organisation capable of doing this, didn't go down well.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
A quick Google tells me she's one of the spate of unfunny "Nigerian mum" comediennes* who appeared a few years ago, and you only see now on Dave re-runs of Mock the Week.

* I find using the traditional feminine nouns (actress, comedienne, fellatrix etc) where applicable tends to cause those of certain demographics / afilliations to self combust.

It's the little things that get me through the day.
She's quite astoundingly unfunny. In fact, I struggle even to see wit, let alone the ability to be a comedienne. Her appearances on such as Live at the Apollo were always my opportunity to make a cup of tea.

Latest Threads