Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

daughter and her tribe posted feverishly on Facebook all week exhorting their friends to vote Corbyn , but the 4 of them decided not to brave the rain in the end.
Yet all those dead OAPs managed it - a bit of wind and rain? Pah!

Classic:
Labour - Moderates versus Momentum

Truxx

LE
Most events of this nature result in a re-positioning of some kind. Is it time for Momentum to consider changing their name to 'Inertia'?

ETA: In the meantime, I have noticed that @Banker beat me to this little quip (By about 12 hours) over on the GE2019 thread. Kudos!
"Dead weight" or maybe "ground anchors"

I like the latter as it has cockney connotations.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
East Lothian is my constituency and is considered a bit of a Granny county in that there is quite a large number of retired people in the area. Changing mind you, with a lot of new builds around bringing in a younger population. However, the turnout for the GE was 71.7% which is an excellent turnout and must be well up near the top of the league.

StormsInAfrica

Old-Salt
Classic:
Labour - Moderates versus Momentum
And do you know what, the greater part of me thinks - this is the Labour Party getting what they deserve. Exactly what they deserve.

I'm in my mid- to late-forties. In my lifetime there have been eighteen years of Labour Government; the Wilson / Callaghan period of 1974-79, and the Blair / Brown years of 1997-2010.

• 1974-79. 23.7% inflation, trade union barons dictating to HM Govt exactly how the country would run. Winter of Discontent 78 / 79. Lorry drivers demanding 40% pay rises. The Militant Tendency. Rubbish lying in the streets and city councils offering that people could bury their own dead if they themselves provided the gravedigging.
  • 1997 - 2010. That lying c**t Blair and his 'education, education, education' mantra. The nation spending like a p**sed up sailor on shore leave. Iraq. The dumbing down of schools and universities to such an extent that getting an 'A' in A-level now is like getting a 'C' in 1985. Sofa Government. Over-commitment of Defence to two concurrent ops and supporting activities whilst simultaneously depriving it of the necessary resource. Spunking money at the NHS and education with no real assurance that this was going to yield any improvement at all. Between 40 and 99 stealth taxes under GB whilst he was Chancellor. Mass immigration 'to rub the Right's noses in diversity'. A subtle,almost intangible, emasculation of the native population in favour of particularly abhorrent cultures from abroad. The 'legal-isation' of absolutely everything (Thanks, Cherie!!). Millimetric, irreversible and dogmatically unquestionable slide towards Europe.
The Conservatives are far from perfect, granted, but I think that they have the best interests of the nation as an entity at heart. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Having the nation's best interests at heart is nothing that I've ever sensed from a Labour government; look at the language they use , it's all about 'getting into power.....', which is rather telling in itself.

I unashamedly admit that I was a £3 Corbynista, I joined in 2015 or 16, don't remember exactly, solely in order to vote for him as leader so that we'd get to where we are now. Don't get me wrong, I was s**tting a brick at the 2017 election, but hopefully now the Labour Party are cast into the wilderness for 10-15 years.

I do bloody well hope so.

Last edited:

OneTenner

Old-Salt
Am I reading that correctly?

The decimation of Labour was because they weren't left-wing enough?
I've read several articles along that line in the last couple of days, it's either really good PSYOPS or they truly believe it. Hopefully they truly believe it, let 'em crack on for the next few thousand years with that....

If any confirmation were needed as to how blinkered and rotten is the current iteration of the Labour Party, you need look no further to how The Great Steersman views his current position within the party.

Given that he has lead them to the greatest electoral defeat of a generation, Corbyn (and some of his strongest acolytes) believe that he bears no personal responsibility for that debacle.

Thursday morning should have witnessed a po-faced and trembly lipped resignation.

Without equivocation. No 'periods of reflection'. Go. Go now. You and the whole of your arrogant and closed minded Shadow Cabinet.

TT needs to have the last word on this:

StormsInAfrica

Old-Salt
St John McDonnell has just been on the BBC sofa, bemoaning the ‘nasty’ Tory campaign of false news and lies. Unlike the Labour campaign which has been one of honesty and hope. :roll:
He has got it down to a fine art, the old ham that he is - sincere, caring face, looking directly into the camera. He must have mentioned compensating the Waspie’s at least three or four times in the space of 10 minutes - no lies there then!
He truly is the most sinister public face in this whole Election campaign.
I've said before on here that I consider him the most insidious man in politics today. An observation missed by many I feel.

I'm certain that the depth of his vengeance on a system and country he loathes would have been limitless.

An inestimably dangerous piece of work.

I've said before on here that I consider him the most insidious man in politics today. An observation missed by many I feel.

I'm certain that the depth of his vengeance on a system and country he loathes would have been limitless.

Corbyn never really bothered me. The fact it would’ve been McDonnell and Milne running the shop had he been elected was the scary part.

I’ve only read about the 70s, and I was keen to keep it that way...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Corbyn never really bothered me. The fact it would’ve been McDonnell and Milne running the shop had he been elected was the scary part.

The music was great, the fashion was embarrassing, and the politics was execrable. As for cuisine, this was the decade which brought you Vesta curries and Smash. When time travel is/was/ will be invented, the whole decade will be/is/was placed off limits in the factory settings for the sake of the chrononauts

Glad he's ruled himself out of the future Labour leadership contest.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Glad he's ruled himself out of the future Labour leadership contest.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I can see in a few months, when the shit has died down a bit, him selfishly, reluctantly, regrettably finding it necessary, for the good of the country and the party, to again take up the struggle.

[/QUOTE] @usmarox

To paraphrase the dit about the 60's,
"If you weren't dodging great big fcuk off rats feasting on uncollected refuse on the way to school, you wernt there man".

Last edited:
We had emergency lighting and duckboards at my polling station to gain access from the flooded car park. yes indeed, oldies out in force, no snow or snowflakes, only torrential rain.

The music was great, the fashion was embarrassing, and the politics was execrable. As for cuisine, this was the decade which brought you Vesta curries and Smash. When time travel is/was/ will be invented, the whole decade will be/is/was placed off limits in the factory settings for the sake of the chrononauts
Don't forget the Babycham, it was a wild ride man.

Latest Threads