Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

Slime

LE
With regards to the photos of the child taken in hospital.
Who, if anyone would own the right to show the photos or gain financially from them if:

A. They were initially posted to Facebook.
B. They were taken on a phone, and later emailed etc to the Leeds Newspaper.
C. They were taken on NHS property.
D. They were first published by the Leeds newspaper, but later published by national newspapers.

Gen question;

Is that due to improved signalling that automatically sets at red where a train is in a section of track?
There are various systems of signalling - the one you describe is referred to as 'Track Circuit Block', which most modern signalling is based on and uses the train to make an electrical circuit which then drops a relay which shows the position of the train and electrically holds the protecting signals at red. The older types such as Absolute Block, Token Block, etc will also effectively stop a train from entering the section as all modern signalling will mechanically, electrically or electronically prevent a signal giving a 'proceed' aspect once a train is in the section.

There are also now various systems such as AWS and TPWS that physically apply the brakes on a train if it passes a red signal. In the last five years we also now have an excellent universal digital comms system that allows direct driver-signalman communication and enables emergency broadcasts to all trains at once and even works in tunnels , which is infinitely better than the old system of phoning control and asking them to get in touch by radio (you can also use it to make PA announcements on board the train, so if I ever wanted to bang out with style and not bother about losing my pension in the process, that would be the way to go ;) )… The driver can also now contact the signaller from any location - it used to be a case of making a radio call to control and getting them to pass a message, or stopping at a signal-post telephone to make the call and the system also integrates mobile phones, so trackside workers can also make critical safety calls if they spot something.

Despite the nay-sayers, the UK's signalling safety systems are world-class and superior in many respects to European systems. There were two head-on crashes a few years ago (one in Germany and one in Italy - the two much-vaunted European railway systems that some would have us emulate) that could NEVER have happened in the UK. This is due to the simple fact that there is no simple push-button override that allows a signalman to send a train into a section that is already occupied by another train (aside from the obvious ones such as platforms where trains need to couple together and there are special signals to enable that). In those instances, the signalman was distracted (by mobile phone games in both cases, iirc) and couldn't understand why a signal wouldn't turn green. In both cases they were then able to override the system to force the signal to turn green - something that would make any British railwayman's hair turn white.

There are no easy get-arounds for failures on UK signalling systems, hence the delays when some twat steals a bit of cable which then drops a track circuit. Our European neighbours can just press the override button... There are very good reasons why we don't. That is absolutely NOT going to change in any way, shape or form under nationalisation.

(sorry for the thread drift)

I am sure most NHS trusts have a photography policy to protect the rights of patients, so would wonder if they are in breach of that

Also what looks like an iv bag and line in the photo isn't connected to a cannula. The business end is out of shot at the top of the photo and if it was connected the bag would obvious need to above him. Just looks like it's been put there as a prop to imply he's receiving treatment on the floor.
Mongs like this mother are so used to instant gratification, screaming like a banshee if they don't get their own way, that they are incapable of planning ahead as to any possible consequences of their actions.
Did she seriously think that the photo would never be closely examined by those of a slightly cynical nature?

Is that what happened?

I've listened to radio articles today that say the mother took the photos in hospital on her phone. The photo with her posing with her son I assumed was taken by the Leeds paper. For all I know it might just be a photo she already had.
The photos are accredited to a Leeds photographer on the BBC website, not just the kid on the floor. That may be an error on their part but the shots i posted further up look posed to me.
I'll stick to my theory of him being photographed after he had been released.

Some unkind soul might wonder LGI's policy is wrt use of camera equipped mobile phones and/or unauthorised professional photography.

just sayin', is all . . . .

When the Grand daughter was born, we were allowed into the Paediatric unit at our hospital to see her - Photos verboten on the unit - some wibble about protecting the kids

Last edited:
Yeah, that was the union's excuse and the stupid idea was quickly ditched for driver-only freight trains. I've been on the railway for 30 years and in that time, dets have NEVER been used to save a disabled train or to successfully protect an obstruction on the line.
My grandfather told me that one and he had been an engine fireman. However since he changed jobs in the early 50s no doubt you are correct, although it may have been valid at the time.

When the Grand daughter was born, we were allowed into the Paediatric unit at our hospital to see - Photos verboten on the unit - some wibble about protecting the kids
It's like that everywhere these days when kids and cameras are mentioned. It is to protect families in hiding from abusive parent (s) and it is very tightly controlled.
Mrs Biff plays a sport which children also take part in but anyone rocking up with a camera, even a phone is quickly dealt with.

NSP

LE
Claims that the bed is actually a trolley with drawers of medical equipment in it now...

A quick image search on hospital equipment trolleys doesn't return anything that looks like the trolley in the pic that isn't a bed trolley, however. I'm assuming that the dark stuff behind the frame is the end of the mattress but, zooming in, it does look like it could be plastic-coated wire mesh basket drawers. It is quite pixellated, though. Also, aren't drawers in kit trolleys molded plastic for ease of cleaning and so on...?

When the Grand daughter was born, we were allowed into the Paediatric unit at our hospital to see - Photos verboten on the unit - some wibble about protecting the kids
Indeed: my OP was, admittedly, a bit of mischief making.

Every hospital that I've ever needed to visit within the last 20 years has always had a robust policy on imagery. It can be circumvented but, if discovered, expect it to escalate quickly.

There are various systems of signalling - the one you describe is referred to as 'Track Circuit Block', which most modern signalling is based on and uses the train to make an electrical circuit which then drops a relay which shows the position of the train and electrically holds the protecting signals at red. The older types such as Absolute Block, Token Block, etc will also effectively stop a train from entering the section as all modern signalling will mechanically, electrically or electronically prevent a signal giving a 'proceed' aspect once a train is in the section.

There are also now various systems such as AWS and TPWS that physically apply the brakes on a train if it passes a red signal. In the last five years we also now have an excellent universal digital comms system that allows direct driver-signalman communication and enables emergency broadcasts to all trains at once and even works in tunnels , which is infinitely better than the old system of phoning control and asking them to get in touch by radio (you can also use it to make PA announcements on board the train, so if I ever wanted to bang out with style and not bother about losing my pension in the process, that would be the way to go ;) )… The driver can also now contact the signaller from any location - it used to be a case of making a radio call to control and getting them to pass a message, or stopping at a signal-post telephone to make the call and the system also integrates mobile phones, so trackside workers can also make critical safety calls if they spot something.

Despite the nay-sayers, the UK's signalling safety systems are world-class and superior in many respects to European systems. There were two head-on crashes a few years ago (one in Germany and one in Italy - the two much-vaunted European railway systems that some would have us emulate) that could NEVER have happened in the UK. This is due to the simple fact that there is no simple push-button override that allows a signalman to send a train into a section that is already occupied by another train (aside from the obvious ones such as platforms where trains need to couple together and there are special signals to enable that). In those instances, the signalman was distracted (by mobile phone games in both cases, iirc) and couldn't understand why a signal wouldn't turn green. In both cases they were then able to override the system to force the signal to turn green - something that would make any British railwayman's hair turn white.

There are no easy get-arounds for failures on UK signalling systems, hence the delays when some twat steals a bit of cable which then drops a track circuit. Our European neighbours can just press the override button... There are very good reasons why we don't. That is absolutely NOT going to change in any way, shape or form under nationalisation.

The message tone on my mobile is "SPAD alert, contact the signaller". Recorded when I was doing the electrical systems testing on the chuff-chuffs. Not one of those messages a driver wants to hear.

Claims that the bed is actually a trolley with drawers of medical equipment in it now...

A quick image search on hospital equipment trolleys doesn't return anything that looks like the trolley in the pic that isn't a bed trolley, however. I'm assuming that the dark stuff behind the frame is the end of the mattress but, zooming in, it does look like it could be plastic-coated wire mesh basket drawers. It is quite pixellated, though. Also, aren't drawers in kit trolleys molded plastic for ease of cleaning and so on...?
Like the one behind him here?

Capture.JPG

Has anyone from Conservative Central Office done any media to refute the claims?
They would be on a hiding to nothing with the Left howling cover-up, it is a disgrace, NHS for sale etc. etc. better to say as little as possible and let the trust handle it, I would think is the stance at the moment.

I am sure most NHS trusts have a photography policy to protect the rights of patients, so would wonder if they are in breach of that
If the photo only shows your child and doesn’t breach anyone else’s medical confidentiality the reality is that there’s not much they can do about it. Especially as the subject and photographer are no longer in the hospital. It isn’t breaking the law, even if there’s an NHS policy forbidding it.

They would be on a hiding to nothing with the Left howling cover-up, it is a disgrace, NHS for sale etc. etc. better to say as little as possible and let the trust handle it, I would think is the stance at the moment.

Indeed…

Labour were desperate for Boris to engage so they could go into outage maximum overdrive

Alas, Boris just punted it away

Truxx

LE

79 Sqn walt.....

Has anyone from Conservative Central Office done any media to refute the claims?
They couldn’t anyway as unless they have written consent from the parents they’d be breaking confidentiality in terms of what treatment was provided to the child. They would have had to explain the series of events that did happen if it differs from the mum’s account. Just saying ‘that’s not quite what happened’ isn’t going to cut it.

As has been said, better to just leave it alone to try to stop the argument continuing.

Latest Threads