Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

Slime

LE
I understand your point and spent my early years living outside London. I am sure we had electric train going into Waterloo (third rail, just checked on wiki and my part of the line was electrified in 37) but we were also sitting on millions of tons of coal to fuel the steam trains. Not forgetting 2 wars.

Just a thought, you like I enjoyed many nights of power cuts, st the time were we producing enough electricity to power the rail? Many houses were still using gas for lighting. As a total drift I was in a restaurant two months ago that still had gas lighting was was using it for that purpose.
When I think of the power cuts during the ‘70 Labour era it always takes me back to going around one particular supermarket with a candle attached to the handle of the supermarket trolley.

At that time we only had a coal fire at home, so the lack of electricity didn’t affect the heating, and using a toasting fork to make toast on the living room fire was good fun.

offog

LE
Very similar experience, getting dressed in front of the cooker oven one by one as no heating till we came home after school. I am sure the power cuts were the 60s as by 74 I was running round Bassingbourne.

As I understand it from my daughter who is heavily involved in the trans pennine electrification and some other work on electrification down to London. The problem is that there are a lot of very low bridges from the Victorian times that need to be raised so that the cables can be put in. I think it was Paddington that they raised the roof on as it was cheaper than lowering the tracks.

Many in Ull are complaining that they didn't get electrification and they have been left out compared to all the money being spent down south. This has more to do with cost and the introduction of DieselEctric as much as being at the end of the line to Norway. Having said that the company who had the job of running 4 trains down to London a day only had 5 and one was always tits up.

Being the first to build railways and having lots of road with bridges instead of level crossing we are now suffering. We could have had a system like China if we had just waited 100 years before building our railways.
Your point re the tunnels on TPE is well made, but the lack of recent electrification compared to that promised also has to do with the fact that Network Rail’s project management has been so abysmal that they didn’t manage to bring the GWR or MMR schemes in remotely close to timescale and more importantly, budget.

DfT decided that this couldn’t continue as it was and so pulled the ‘Pause’ button. I suspect that once NR can show it can do infrastructure projects to time and budget again then electrification will then reappear.

Very similar experience, getting dressed in front of the cooker oven one by one as no heating till we came home after school. I am sure the power cuts were the 60s as by 74 I was running round Bassingbourne.
I remember power cuts in the seventies. I was at Bassingbourn in the eighties, I'm pretty sure the heating was switched off.

I’m not a Conservative groupie..., one conversation with a guard is not evidence and your original point was that the network should be re-nationalised. Except that it Is nationalised, as many of us have pointed out.
No.

I suggested that renationaliatationisation of the whole shebang is an idea with positives.

We're in a fairly casual chat here; chucking in the ex-Virgin conductor's amusing comment wasn't intended as a clinching argument.

I remember power cuts in the seventies. I was at Bassingbourn in the eighties, I'm pretty sure the heating was switched off.
I remember a hell of a thermal difference between the Hitler barracks at Herford and the converted missile wing accom block when we pitched up at Lulworth in November.

offog

LE
I had returned in the early 80s and we had a QM who was looking to cut costs drastically so it wouldn't surprise me. He had a grand idea of resoling DMS boots and some of the training staff tried them. A bit like the type you get at keymaster, it didn't survive long. It was at the time of very little money and many ideas were put in place to save it. shooting practice using air rifles!!

As I posted earlier, the photo looks like the child is right next to a hospital bed. The small horizontal wheels are in view, the ones that stop the trolley/bed from scraping on walls.
Also what looks like an iv bag and line in the photo isn't connected to a cannula. The business end is out of shot at the top of the photo and if it was connected the bag would obvious need to above him. Just looks like it's been put there as a prop to imply he's receiving treatment on the floor.

NSP

LE
Also what looks like an iv bag and line in the photo isn't connected to a cannula. The business end is out of shot at the top of the photo and if it was connected the bag would obvious need to above him. Just looks like it's been put there as a prop to imply he's receiving treatment on the floor.
Look closely - it's a gas-and-air mask (supposedly only used on pregnant women, according to an earlier post). You can see the facemask under his chin next to the bladder.

Look closely - it's a gas-and-air mask (supposedly only used on pregnant women, according to an earlier post). You can see the facemask under his chin next to the bladder.
The photo I've seen isn't paricularly hi resolution so it's not very clear on zooming. But whatever it is the kids not using it which suggests deliberate staging.

They use them with nebulisers for children, I believe. I know my then 4(ish)-yr old daughter had one when I took her in during an asthma attack.

Nato123

War Hero
TBF, I'd have probably bought one of the mugs ...

Those mugs are the Dogs wadger and most squaddies would love but one, it show the the massive difference in mindsets if they think we'd be offended by it or see it as a pi55 take.

Then once you've bought one you get set fire to their stall, the cnuts.

I have yet to see ONE labourite explain to me how the millions who have private pensions are going to be compensated when our pensions tank because of the stupidity of their business policies.

Do they not realise that by having a private pension you are less likely to be a greater burden on a already overstretched benefits system, the loss in tax revenue..cheers Gordon for that one. The loss of that extra money not being spent in the economy, have they actually thought abut this or are they just plain f*****g stupid.

Latest Threads