Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
"Between 1947 and 1994, some 950 mines were closed by UK governments. Clement Attlee’s Labour government closed 101 pits from 1947-‘51, Macmillan (Conservative) closed 246 pits from 1957-‘63, Wilson (Labour) and Heath (Conservative) collectively closed 253 between 1964-’76, Thatcher (Conservative) closed 115 between 1979-'90."

Spot on. The two in the Wrexham area went in 82 and 86, so definitely not Wilson.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
There certainly should be a place for all of that. However the job requires far more technological knowledge than it did in the past, just being caring is nowhere near enough any more. There are idiots in every job, however very few of the 20-30 students we see every year are like the one you describe.

The fact that your example was a ‘graduate’ is of no relevance, there have been deeply useless non-grad nurses as well throughout the profession existing.

I have no idea why people think that nurses should be less professionally qualified or less well trained than their other multi-disciplinary team members, all of whom will be graduates. It’s a very strange sort of inverse snobbery.
I'm not saying they shouldn't be well trained. Just that the degree and the technology are now more important that caring for the whole patient.

Speaking with experience of hiring modern graduates, although not in nursing, I would also suggest that the A levels taken in the 1970s by my sister's cadre required more intelligence than a current degree. And the hours of study, essays, practicals and vivas she took cannot possibly be dismissed as 'just caring'.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they shouldn't be well trained. Just that the degree and the technology are now more important that caring for the whole patient.

Speaking with experience of hiring modern graduates, although not in nursing, I would also suggest that the A levels taken in the 1970s by my sister's cadre required more intelligence than a current degree. And the hours of study, essays, practicals and vivas she took cannot possible be dismissed as 'just caring'.
Your last paragraph is simply rubbish. Technical degrees (of which nursing, along with radiography, physio, pharmacy, OT etc are now clearly) are no easier now than they ever have been. Technical and science A levels are no easier than they were previously either.

Caring for the whole patient IS taught as part of the nursing syllabus, in fact far more than it was in the past. Nursing tasks and roles have changed out of all recognition over the years. It’s a completely different job than it was in the 70s.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
"Between 1947 and 1994, some 950 mines were closed by UK governments. Clement Attlee’s Labour government closed 101 pits from 1947-‘51, Macmillan (Conservative) closed 246 pits from 1957-‘63, Wilson (Labour) and Heath (Conservative) collectively closed 253 between 1964-’76, Thatcher (Conservative) closed 115 between 1979-'90."

ETA: I find it odd that they have lumped Wilson and Heath in the same period, whereas, the others specify how many were closed under each premiership.
Can anyone untangle that bit in the middle? It's odd how the only specific figures show more closures by the Tories yet the bit in the middle is lumped together.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Your last paragraph is simply rubbish. Technical degrees (of which nursing, along with radiography, physio, pharmacy, OT etc are now clearly) are no easier now than they ever have been. Technical and science A levels are no easier than they were previously either.

Caring for the whole patient IS taught as part of the nursing syllabus, in fact far more than it was in the past. Nursing tasks and roles have changed out of all recognition over the years. It’s a completely different job than it was in the 70s.
My opinion is based on experience of the illiteracy, innumeracy and incompetence of graduates in a highly technical field the modern world of work, experiences of nursing standards at various hospitals I have encountered in the last ten or so years, discussions with my sister and other nurses, from disciplines varying from geriatrics, Intensive Care, paediatrics and Stroke, and actually being a patient, a patient's parent and a patient's carer, as well as a visitor, in hospitals in Wales, Cheshire, Devon, Dorset, and Cambridgeshire. Dismissing that experience as rubbish does you no favours to convince me that everything I have encountered is wrong.

How is tractor production these days? Increasing?

Slime

LE
Jo Swinson seems to have moved a bit quick today.
She has said she would do a deal with Labour to form a coalition government in the event of a hung parliament.

Her only condition at the moment is that she said Corbyn would need to be replaced by another Labour leader.

She has said she would do a deal with Labour to form a coalition government in the event of a hung parliament.

Her only condition at the moment is that she said Corbyn would need to be replaced by another Labour leader.

I presume she finds McDonnell acceptable?

6th Form Politics writ large!

Slime

LE

Corbyn heckled in North Wales this morning apparently.

I live in a Labour constituency in North wales and he is a very unpopular man here.
A member of Morriston Orpheus choir, due to sing at the commissioning of HMS PoW in Pompey, was sent from Swansea to the frozen North as one of a whole bunch of security/riot squad extra bods for Corbyn’s visit.

Can anyone untangle that bit in the middle? It's odd how the only specific figures show more closures by the Tories yet the bit in the middle is lumped together.
The last time I mentioned mine closures, another Arrse mentioned that the figures for all closures have become very confused in the intervening years. As mentioned above, some figures quote specific closures, some are an amalgamation of all closures.It also seems to depend where you obtain the figures from!

Another hostage to fortune Jo...

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The last time I mentioned mine closures, another Arrse mentioned that the figures for all closures have become very confused in the intervening years. As mentioned above, some figures quote specific closures, some are an amalgamation of all closures.It also seems to depend where you obtain the figures from!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It's almost as if someone's trying to hide something.

Ah, here we go:

Latest Threads