Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

Slime

LE
What about the latest promise to pay all ex miners an extra £84 per week on top of their state pension?
How is that fair Comrade Corbyn I ask!
Hadn’t heard that one.

The WASPI women couldn’t be paid as the courts had ruled against them, plus it would be sexist to differentiate.
This. As I understood it the court said there was no case and booted it into the long grass.

Yes that is private, run by shareholders or other investors. This is a Taxpayer funded SERVICE not a business and therefore the head honcho should not be earning more than the PM. Wo is in fact running a multi-trillion pound business if you want to go down that route.
Pay peanuts get monkeys I’m afraid. If you want the people talented enough to run these what are the end of the day are large and complex businesses then you need to remunerate them to a level that they choose to do it rather then working in the private sector.

For a sensible reply, no, I don’t think that.
I believe the general public would learn more and more that:

The promises weren’t promises, but were aspirations.
The aspirations were planned to be looked at within ten years.
Couldnt now be done as climate change was more important.
Couldn't be done as there was no money due to Tory austerity.
Couldnt be done due to Brexit.
Couldnt be done as the economy hadn’t grown.
The WASPI women couldn’t be paid as the courts had ruled against them, plus it would be sexist to differentiate.

Edit.
Every promise I’ve looked into actually seems to be an aspiration to be looked at within ten years.
By which time the Waspis would have likely croaked.

I am of the same opinion about School heads as well, no public servant should be allowed to earn more than the PM end of story. The money saved should be ploughed back into the service it is meant for.
Then you’ll have services and hospitals that are incompetently managed and waste far more money than is paid to the CEO.

How much does a full- or part-time employee actually cost the NHS apart from just wages? And how does this compare to the full cost of hiring agency staff?
From my experience of management in the NHS once you factor pension etc it’s roughly 50% of salary on top in terms of on costs, eg training, CPD, pension etc

From my experience of management in the NHS once you factor pension etc it’s roughly 50% of salary on top in terms of on costs, eg training, CPD, pension etc
From experience of costing security for a major pharma company (global), you can also add at least 20% to all that for out-sourced services, to account for their costs.
Of course, these are ‘expenses’ and, thus, do not show up on the bottom line.

I am of the same opinion about School heads as well, no public servant should be allowed to earn more than the PM end of story. The money saved should be ploughed back into the service it is meant for.
Totally disagree mate. There are people working in the public sector, such as teaching for example, who do it, not for the money, but because they enjoy doing the job, such as teaching for example.
My partner could easily earn more money in the private sector, but she teaches because she enjoys it.
I myself took quite a huge paycut when I left construction for the Prison Service.

Slime

LE
Then you’ll have services and hospitals that are incompetently managed and waste far more money than is paid to the CEO.
No change to how they are now then!

With his benefits one of the local trust heads gets around £350,000 p/a.
That trust regularly wastes far far more than that each year.

Last edited:
She is more for the older generation imho.
The target audience Corby wants comprise of the young who don’t remember her, immigrants who never knew her or the gullible.

Corbyns campaign reminds me of the type of grown man who always looks for a very young girlfriend and not an older woman, as a more sexually experienced women would not only know what she wanted, but would recognise the crap bedroom skills of the bloke................whereas a novice girl wouldn’t know any better.
You're probably right, I know oor Nicola's been accused of plagiarising Saint Margaret's best lines, probably because she expects few will remember them. However, I have heard young people talking about her (usually in milk snatching and poll tax terms). I imagine some people use her as the Baba Yaga for bedtime tales to frighten the younglings.

I

From the Scottish Sun, dated 182141A NOV 19,

Slime

LE
I forgot to mention something earlier.

When Corbyn appeared on ‘This morning’ earlier today Philip Scofield quizzed him about whether he wanted to abolish MI5, and cited someone from Corbyns team (apologies but I can’t remember who, perhaps Abbott or Long Bailey) who had said they wanted rid of it.

Corbyn said he didn’t want to abolish MI5 but DID want them to be accountable.

I bet Seamus Milne was livid, he hates them so much he went to the trouble to write his book in them.

Kudos to Schofield, he is the first interviewer I’ve seen tackle Corbyn over MI5.

What about the latest promise to pay all ex miners an extra £84 per week on top of their state pension?
How is that fair Comrade Corbyn I ask!
Almost right, then. According to the link you put later on, they haven't said they'd give an extra £84 to ex miners. They've said a miner, on the miner's pension scheme, currently gets £84 a week. Labour have said the bonuses paid to mine bosses was in unfair proportion and would increase the miners' pension but it seems to hint at an extra 10% on that pension, not the state pension.

And you leave our Jeremy alone. Every couple of days, the polls come up with Labour catching up to the Tories (or the Tories dropping behind or whatever).

Jeremy then comes up with things like this, saying he's going to have a go at Trump, would put the security of the nation at risk and we should protect terrorists or something. He's excelled himself these last couple of days and the Tories regain their lead.

Jeremy is the Tory secret weapon so just let him get on with pushing the Tories further ahead. Boris needn't say anything at all, just let Jeremy do the politicising for him and getting the Tories more likely to win the election.

NSP

LE
Except that Thatcher wasn't the milk snatcher; the Chancellor was. She actually opposed the policy. And when I was at primary school some years after they'd supposedly withdrawn our milk I was still being forced, on pain of a slapped wrist from the ogre-bitch Headmistress, to drink the gopping luke-warm, bird-pecked, minging stuff every morning.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Sick pay is quite a high on-cost too.

Almost right, then. According to the link you put later on, they haven't said they'd give an extra £84 to ex miners. They've said a miner, on the miner's pension scheme, currently gets £84 a week. Labour have said the bonuses paid to mine bosses was in unfair proportion and would increase the miners' pension but it seems to hint at an extra 10% on that pension, not the state pension.

And you leave our Jeremy alone. Every couple of days, the polls come up with Labour catching up to the Tories (or the Tories dropping behind or whatever).

Jeremy then comes up with things like this, saying he's going to have a go at Trump, would put the security of the nation at risk and we should protect terrorists or something. He's excelled himself these last couple of days and the Tories regain their lead.

Jeremy is the Tory secret weapon so just let him get on with pushing the Tories further ahead. Boris needn't say anything at all, just let Jeremy do the politicising for him and getting the Tories more likely to win the election.
If I've fecked up old son, then I'm perfectly willing to admit to it.
Fair enough?

Why not?

We have school headmasters earning more than the PM. If you pay peanuts you'll just attract monkeys
Not a good argument.

Those running companies often push wages for others down on the grounds there is always someone else who will do the job for the same or less.

I can absolutely guarantee you that whatever CxO role you choose, I can find someone else who will do the job for less.

Why doesn't the first argument mean CxO salaries decrease?

Slime

LE
Except that Thatcher wasn't the milk snatcher; the Chancellor was. She actually opposed the policy. And then I was at primary school some years after they'd supposedly withdrawn our milk I was still being forced, on pain of a slapped wrist from the ogre-bitch Headmistress, to drink the gopping luke-warm, bird-pecked, minging stuff every morning.
That was the point being made, hence the title WRONG THEN WRONG NOW.

Latest Threads