Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

Attachments

Whilst I couldn't agree with you more, contrast with the loading of the ships for the Falklands: I suggest a few union conveners had their fortunes read to them.
I've never been in a union, never ever intended to either. In fact I hate the Barstewards!!!!
Many years ago I was delivering a container to a place just outside Speek Airport, I got paid 50 notes to get in the back, no probs till some union driver turns up. Trys to force me to give up the 50 quid and get out of the trailer. I refused, so the twat dumped his trailer in front of my unit. We had to get the Police involved before the Union scouse drivers would move their trailer. I got blacked in Liverpool Docks for around 5 years.

As an asides a local North Wales poll today (of 3000 plus people) puts Labour on 16 percent and Conservative on 44 percent

Predominantly a Labour area, or it was.....
The further you get away from Liverpool the higher the Tory vote, it's the Scousers living in North Wales that up the Labour vote

Londo

LE

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Thatcher didn't go out to close the Mines. As said, it was about breaking the Unions control. From the 50s onwards, Unions in this country have had a big hand in destroying an awful lot of this country's great industrys.
Ship building and the docks. Liverpool(I know) docks was the largest in the country, another exam of the unions refusal to modernise. So Felixstowe and Southampton got modernised and Liverpool got left behind.
Our ship building wasn't much better, sometimes demanding stupid work practices and if they didn't get their way, the union would declare a "work to rule". Slowing everything, delayed delivery's and pushing the price of the vessels up. And the Unions wondered why the yards closed.....
Not just shipbuilding. Mr. GRB tells some horror stories about Westlands. For example going to pick up half a dozen new Lynx, opening the hangar door and pushing them out onto the pan ready for departure. Only to have to put them back because his soldiers weren't qualified electricians, and therefore were not qualified to open the hangar door. They had to wait until the electricians got back from their Union Meeting. Cue overnight stops for all military personnel, at Her Majesty's, rather than the Union's expense.

Likewise my former father-in-law, a foreman at Longbridge, caused a three hour stoppage because he picked up a screwdriver to fix a jam in a moving production line, thus stealing a job from a qualified engineer. (He had only worked there for 30 years at the time ....)

The 70s. No wonder Corbyn wants us to go back there!

Not just shipbuilding. Mr. GRB tells some horror stories about Westlands. For example going to pick up half a dozen new Lynx, opening the hangar door and pushing them out onto the pan ready for departure. Only to have to put them back because his soldiers weren't qualified electricians, and therefore were not qualified to open the hangar door. They had to wait until the electricians got back from their Union Meeting. Cue overnight stops for all military personnel, at Her Majesty's, rather than the Union's expense.

Likewise my former father-in-law, a foreman at Longbridge, caused a three hour stoppage because he picked up a screwdriver to fix a jam in a moving production line, thus stealing a job from a qualified engineer. (He had only worked there for 30 years at the time ....)

Similar thing happened to my uncle, he was a supervisor at BMC Bathgate, the only difference was they had 3 days off.

Thatcher didn't go out to close the Mines. As said, it was about breaking the Unions control. From the 50s onwards, Unions in this country have had a big hand in destroying an awful lot of this country's great industrys.
Ship building and the docks. Liverpool(I know) docks was the largest in the country, another exam of the unions refusal to modernise. So Felixstowe and Southampton got modernised and Liverpool got left behind.
Our ship building wasn't much better, sometimes demanding stupid work practices and if they didn't get their way, the union would declare a "work to rule". Slowing everything, delayed delivery's and pushing the price of the vessels up. And the Unions wondered why the yards closed.....
My Dad repeatedly goes on about Camel Lairds and how the working practices were better in a Dutch shipyard he was apprenticed at.

As his mind is going with age I just nod and fail to mention that it wasn’t management as he insists but the management knowing the unions would go batshit if they tried to change things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the book ‘Wasting police time’ (I think) the author said he tried putting a clock to the right time after the change to BST.
Immediately someone went batshit at him, put the clock back to the wrong time and then it remained wrong until the ‘correct’ person came round a few weeks later to alter it again.

As his mind is going with age I just nod and fail to mention that it wasn’t management as he insists but the management knowing the unions would go batshit if they tried to change things.
You are definitely not wrong there, trouble is, it was just every major industry in this country. And the Unions will still try and blame the Tories.
I hate to say it, but the Commies in the Unions did a far better job, than all the Soviet forces put together.

TAFKA

Swinger
My Dad repeatedly goes on about Camel Lairds and how the working practices were better in a Dutch shipyard he was apprenticed at.

Lunchtime at Cammell Laird's, within a second of the hooter going the doors would swing open and hundreds of workers would flood across the road to the pub. They must have been waiting on sprinter's blocks. Traffic didn't stop them either.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
It’s clear enough, unless your a facist, spiv, city of London fat cat, property thief or any other Miriam of low life scum who blead the country to the detriment of the vast majority of U.K. citizens who didn’t have the means to become a spiv. Or perhaps you have forgotten Kieth Best M.P. him of 6 applications for Gas shares, whoes defence was he should be entitled to whatever he wanted, as he was a Tory MP.
Channelling my inner Howard Johnson: "A perfect example of authentic pigeon shouter gibberish. I'm particularly glad that our younger Arrsers are present to hear proper pigeon shouting as it's supposed to be shouted, muffled by old newspapers and turps".

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I worked at Newey & Eyre in Birmingham on a short contract

5 to 1 coats on, queue by the door. 1 o'clock, hooter goes, stampede out of the door. Repeat at 5 to 5 / 5 o'clock.

Ditto British Shoe Corporation at Leicester. Why leave in the middle of fixing a coding problem? It would take a short time to carry on, and ages to start again after the break. I stayed until 5.15 one evening, finishing a task rather than queuing in the car park.

Was bollocked by the team leader 'we're not paying you overtime!'. @×÷/_#@

My father and uncles all worked in the Tyne shipyards and they often complained about union "rules" which, in many ways, helped bring about the demise of those yards. If my father (a shipwright) was needed to do some work in another yard he had to claim two days travel allowance for the journey to and from the yard where the work was to be done. The distance from Swan Hunters to the Neptune Yard was 15 minutes on the No 34 bus. Palmers was just across the river and yet if he was required to work there, he had to go by train via Newcastle Central instead of using the local ferry that connected the two sides of the river....utter madness.

Plus there were the stupid demarcation disputes such as an electrician being required from another yard to change the plug on a piece of equipment even though there were other electricians in the yard but they weren't allowed to do the work because they were ship's electricians and not allowed to work on shore-based equipment. Three days to get a 13 amp plug changed and you think DIO is bad!!

It’s clear enough, unless your a facist, spiv, city of London fat cat, property thief or any other Miriam of low life scum who blead the country to the detriment of the vast majority of U.K. citizens who didn’t have the means to become a spiv. Or perhaps you have forgotten Kieth Best M.P. him of 6 applications for Gas shares, whoes defence was he should be entitled to whatever he wanted, as he was a Tory MP.
Send again in clear....

Latest Threads