Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

That £39bn is what we have to pay to leave. We have to pay it whether we get a no deal Brexit or go with the WA. If we don't pay it, Britain's credit rating will tumble because it's defaulting on a massive debt. Think Argentina. So money gets more expensive to borrow (keeping vaguely on topic with Corbyn, his mob want to borrow £1 Trillion to spend on crap - imagine difference 3 or 4 extra percentage points on interest will make - a helluva lot more than £39bn)

I don't expect the EU to be benign. Trading Blocs are designed to be good for the members and screw over everyone who isn't a member of a Trading Bloc. They do fair deals with China and the US because they're on an equal footing. They absolutely shaft the little guys because they can.

We just voted to be a little guy.
You make it sound as if we'd turn into a third-world economy if we leave without a deal. Utter hogwash. We're the world's 5th largest economy. There's no way our credit rating will tumble.

Besides, the £39bn is only payable as part of the withdrawal agreement. No WA, no £39bn.

I have no doubt negotiations will continue, just pointing out what the EU said, repeatedly.

Almost like it's my deal or no deal, isn't it?
The EU has consistently stated that the WA is set in stone, non-negotiable. Despite this the Labour Party still said that they could renegotiate the deal.

The only way the EU will blink and renegotiate the WA is if they know with absolute certainty that the UK WILL leave otherwise with no deal.

Even with the certainty of no deal I don't think the EU will back down now. It would be an absolute embarrassment to them to be seen to after what they have previously said., although they might just be able to spin it if they agreed to amend it to time limit the backstop.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The EU has consistently stated that the WA is set in stone, non-negotiable. Despite this the Labour Party still said that they could renegotiate the deal.

The only way the EU will blink and renegotiate the WA is if they know with absolute certainty that the UK WILL leave otherwise with no deal.

Even with the certainty of no deal I don't think the EU will back down now. It would be an absolute embarrassment to them to be seen to after what they have previously said., although they might just be able to spin it if they agreed to amend it to time limit the backstop.
There will also be an air of uncertainty in Brussels as the top dogs change jobs with Juncker and Tusk going soon and their replacements are unknown and also an unknown quantity.

Agree, but with the imminent change of key people in the EU, any renegotiation won't be seen as a failure on their part just something the previous incumbunts are to be blamed for.

Meanwhile, Labour stands in indecisive solidarity under the banner of Something Must Be Done But We're Not Quite Sure What:

"The shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, has warned colleagues if they want to avoid a "slow motion car crash" they have to change policy on Brexit.

So far, Labour's shadow cabinet hasn't shifted its position on Brexit despite devoting two meetings to the topic. . . ."

Labour must move on Brexit, McDonnell warns

This amuses me, Labour female gay MP in tears at the fact that not so gay friendly Muslims are objecting to what’s being taught to their children. What did you expect you deluded creature. You did every thing to win their votes and this is how they repay you. They are now holding big cards in the game and will cash them in, want the seats they control, do whatever say.

Angela Eagle in tears as she tells LGBT protesters: 'We are not getting back in the closet'

There's no way our credit rating will tumble.
The reality is that it will have almost zero affect even if the UK was downgraded.

The last downgrade was 2016, and Gilt yields fell (prices rose), so borrowing costs improved. Any affect was felt in the FX markets, not bond markets. This is because the market is well bid for UK sovereign risk, for many different reasons.....some economic, some regulatory.

The whole downgrade debate is being put up as another extremely ill-informed project fear headline.