Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

To which country does he owe a sense of duty though

Iran, Ireland,Palestine, Russia, Venezuela, Cuba ???
He is a fanatical ideological Marxist. It is an all encompassing religion for him. That is where he sees his duty. To bring about the earthly paradise.

Or, all he ever craved was the opportunity to steer Labour in the direction he wanted but never had the intention to lead them to power. Power is a young mans/womans game and as long as his replacement follows his direction he'll be more than happy in his retirement to the back benches/House of Lords/Comrades.
I think you do him too much credit. All he really ever wanted to do was to snipe from the sidelines at The Establishment. He's not a leader, he's an activist (that's the rather politer term).

He, in his solipsistic mind, sees himself as championing the oppressed and the alternative view. Unfortunately, he starts from a skewed mindset that everything 'Establishment' is evil or corrupt, which simply isn't true. It results in him keeping some very unsavoury company whose really quite nasty proclivities he writes off as 'okay'.

Power also is (or should be) inspired by a sense of duty.

I suggest he has no sense of duty in to the country which would sustain through him through the slog that is government. To govern is to choose and to lead.

He's never really had to do either.
Dictators rarely, if ever, have a sense of Duty and Corbyn is a dictator within the Labour Party. In the case of a dictator a sense of duty is replaced in them by a desire to control/educate/repress and create their ideals in their community or country. If that ideal is a totalitarian state imbued by Marxism then that's fine in their eyes. Power is all.

I think you do him too much credit. All he really ever wanted to do was to snipe from the sidelines at The Establishment. He's not a leader, he's an activist (that's the rather politer term).

He, in his solipsistic mind, sees himself as championing the oppressed and the alternative view. Unfortunately, he starts from a skewed mindset that everything 'Establishment' is evil or corrupt, which simply isn't true. It results in him keeping some very unsavoury company whose really quite nasty proclivities he writes off as 'okay'.
Then we disagree. Power seekers that are thwarted tend to snipe from the sidelines or stab their opponents in the back (Gove is a case in point). The path to power was created by Ed Milliband and was seized on by those clever enough to realise they could never be accepted as Leader themselves but could create their vision by employing someone with an image more acceptable to the Labour Party, and ultimately the country, to get that power but still be able to be manipulated. Corbyn is that in spades and in my opinion has now come to realise that and wants to remove himself and go back to his sniping from the back benches whilst glowing in pride at his achievements.

Like any fundamentallist there’s no such thing as compromise only dogma which, considering that politics is known as the art of compromise, is a big problem when it comes to government (God forbid).

Then we disagree. Power seekers that are thwarted tend to snipe from the sidelines or stab their opponents in the back (Gove is a case in point). The path to power was created by Ed Milliband and was seized on by those clever enough to realise they could never be accepted as Leader themselves but could create their vision by employing someone with an image more acceptable to the Labour Party, and ultimately the country, to get that power but still be able to be manipulated. Corbyn is that in spades and in my opinion has now come to realise that and wants to remove himself and go back to his sniping from the back benches whilst glowing in pride at his achievements.
Unlike the subject of the conversation, we can at least agree to disagree.

C_C

To which country does he owe a sense of duty though

Iran, Ireland,Palestine, Russia, Venezuela, Cuba ???
I bet I know what the Christmas Party looks like....

Corbyn/McDonnell/Milne et al aren't interested in power just yet. First task is to clear out the Labour Party of those they deem not worthy and they'll quite happily accept a much smaller party initially to achieve this. In the interim, they see their job as screwing over the country as much as possible in order to create the chaotic conditions which make their eventual route to power easier.

ETA - they probably see 2027 as their target election.
If they wait until 2027, Corbyn will be 78, McDonnell will be 76 and Milne will be 69. I think that they will make their move before then.

Choosing a pretty white woman to represent the Labour Party, isn’t that, by their current standards and, dare I say it, a bit sexist and racist?
Choosing, rather than electing?

What happened to the OMOV decision?

Choosing a pretty white woman to represent the Labour Party, isn’t that, by their current standards and, dare I say it, a bit sexist and racist?
Quite right: they should have an ugly black one instead. It’d be a coup de maîtresse; by virtue of her rapier wit, towering intellect and detailed grasp of abstruse concepts such as arithmetic, she’d be a racist certainty, as it were, to win by a landslide at the next election. Now then, who could fit that bill?

Quite right: they should have an ugly black one instead. It’d be a coup de maîtresse; by virtue of her rapier wit, towering intellect and detailed grasp of abstruse concepts such as arithmetic, she’d be a racist certainty, as it were, to win by a landslide at the next election. Now then, who could fit that bill?
There must be eleventy six possible candidates.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
she's not ugly.

she's aesthetically challenged.