Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

Inr

It may have been around on a small scale before but I only really started noticing when it picked up during the Blair/Brown years when any critism of their immigration policies was met with the racist/little Englander smear, end of debate.
When ironically their stated aim was to rub our noses in diversity by having an open door immigration policy

Labour policy was cultural genocide, and one that was only admitted to when they were long out of power

In the Currant Bun no less:

Jeremy Corbyn 'wants to quit as Labour leader because he's tired and fed up'

Genuine? Or wishful thinking on the part of the Sun's editor?
More likely McDonnell or one of the other Marxist leadership contenders made a spad leak the story to the press to save them having to force him to retire

it will be like the death of Stalin when the succession happens, Marxist rats fighting each as Labour sinks into the abyss of racism, antisemitism and identity politics

More likely McDonnell or one of the other Marxist leadership contenders made a spad leak the story to the press to save them having to force him to retire

it will be like the death of Stalin when the succession happens, Marxist rats fighting each as Labour sinks into the abyss of racism, antisemitism and identity politics
And as it's the BBC it won't pay-per-view.

[Wishful thinking]

If there's any substance to this (and I wouldn't immediately write it off), my guess would be that, implausible as it may sound, Comrade Cob is terrified of winning a GE - and one could be just around the corner, courtesy of the prodigious Brexcrement clusterf**k. It's been one exciting teenage-rebel jolly so far, with endless PC soundbites, merry Marxist meetings and waves of adulation from the Lefty media, starry-eyed students and the terminally stupid. True, being Leader of the Opposition was a stiffer test than shouting inconsequentially from the back benches, and Cameron gave him a rough ride to begin with at PMQs, but May proved an easier adversary (as the EU's tinpot Hitlers also found, to their delight).

Now, though, there's a real, horrifying possibility that Labour could be in power by the summer, and Corbyn could well be soiling himself at the thought. In addition to his many other negative qualities he's a cowardly invertebrate, as he's shown time and again, even within the parochial bounds of the Labour Party: the prospect of having to make real, hard decisions on the biggest of stages, with potentially disastrous consequences in a hard, unforgiving world, may simply be too much for him to contemplate. He's probably also dimly aware that he lacks the brains for the job of PM, no matter how much he may profess to want it. I could be entirely wrong, of course, but if he does step aside, for whatever reason, I can't really see any other serious contender for the succession than McDonnell; I think Watson's shot his bolt and Thornberry - admittedly one of the few members of the Shadow Cabinet with a functioning brain - would be seen as too snobbish and supercilious (as indeed she is). But this is idle speculation; we await further 'revelations' with bated breath.

If there's any substance to this (and I wouldn't immediately write it off), my guess would be that, implausible as it may sound, Comrade Cob is terrified of winning a GE - and one could be just around the corner, courtesy of the prodigious Brexcrement clusterf**k. It's been one exciting teenage-rebel jolly so far, with endless PC soundbites, merry Marxist meetings and waves of adulation from the Lefty media, starry-eyed students and the terminally stupid. True, being Leader of the Opposition was a stiffer test than shouting inconsequentially from the back benches, and Cameron gave him a rough ride to begin with at PMQs, but May proved an easier adversary (as the EU's tinpot Hitlers also found, to their delight).

Now, though, there's a real, horrifying possibility that Labour could be in power by the summer, and Corbyn could well be soiling himself at the thought. In addition to his many other negative qualities he's a cowardly invertebrate, as he's shown time and again, even within the parochial bounds of the Labour Party: the prospect of having to make real, hard decisions on the biggest of stages, with potentially disastrous consequences in a hard, unforgiving world, may simply be too much for him to contemplate. He's probably also dimly aware that he lacks the brains for the job of PM, no matter how much he may profess to want it. I could be entirely wrong, of course, but if he does step aside, for whatever reason, I can't really see any other serious contender for the succession than McDonnell; I think Watson's shot his bolt and Thornberry - admittedly one of the few members of the Shadow Cabinet with a functioning brain - would be seen as too snobbish and supercilious (as indeed she is). But this is idle speculation; we await further 'revelations' with bated breath.
I reckon Long Bailey will be put forward as the figure head and friendly face of Marxism, whist McDonnell and Milne will be the ones controlling the show

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

I don't know - look how stubbornly he's clung on ('if I think I'm damaging the party then I'll step down' anyone?')

if he does, god forbid, get in to no.10, I'd give him 6-9 months. just long enough to wreak revenge on the people on his list and get a taste of the trappings of the office (while all the while decrying them as the humble man of the working people he is) and then step aside before any of the decisions that mcdonnell and milne make for him come back to bite him on the bottom.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I reckon Long Bailey will be put forward as the figure head and friendly face of Marxism, whist McDonnell and Milne will be the ones controlling the show
Friendly face? Hatchet face more like!

I don't know - look how stubbornly he's clung on ('if I think I'm damaging the party then I'll step down' anyone?')

if he does, god forbid, get in to no.10, I'd give him 6-9 months. just long enough to wreak revenge on the people on his list and get a taste of the trappings of the office (while all the while decrying them as the humble man of the working people he is) and then step aside before any of the decisions that mcdonnell and milne make for him come back to bite him on the bottom.
You could well be right; who knows? Playing the amateur shrink with Corbyn is all the trickier as he's essentially a stroppy adolescent in a pensioner's body, something that might have flummoxed Freud himself.

Or, all he ever craved was the opportunity to steer Labour in the direction he wanted but never had the intention to lead them to power. Power is a young mans/womans game and as long as his replacement follows his direction he'll be more than happy in his retirement to the back benches/House of Lords/Comrades.

Corbyn/McDonnell/Milne et al aren't interested in power just yet. First task is to clear out the Labour Party of those they deem not worthy and they'll quite happily accept a much smaller party initially to achieve this. In the interim, they see their job as screwing over the country as much as possible in order to create the chaotic conditions which make their eventual route to power easier.

ETA - they probably see 2027 as their target election.