Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

I note that Tom Watson the Labour deputy leader has posted a four minute video with a very different attitude to that given by Corbyn and McDonell today.
Tom Watson says Labour must change to avoid more MPs leaving – Politics live

Very interesting speech I must say, especially he says he's the one to rebuild the party and turn it back into what it once was.
A very clear admission about anti semitism also, yet Shamless Chakrabarti says it doesn't exist, hhhhmmmm.

Last edited:
I'm about to look up the 'racist comments' overheard from Angela Smith that have been played on social media, and that she has had to issue an apology for.
The word is tin....
I went for tint, although tinge is a good bet.

if saint Jezza had said something similar it would be all over the news forever. These 7 lost the argument lost two leadership elections pissed off their local parties and continued to believe they knew better than the rest of labour and found out they weren't going to win at which point they finally left.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Good luck cleaning up after him. You know how they like smearing shit on the walls.
One does have to be a bit sorry for robme after all - being told off by a crab must be so humiliating :p

Thank you but I don't need a history lesson.
Never implied you did.
I was referencing this given the large numbers of Walt’s, never served, LMF’s etc who clutter up this site. Some of whom actually become moderators? Amazing.
Incidentally for Imphal read Kohima. That’s a thanks for the OP who picked that one up for me, must have had a Helms mind block.

I’ve just heard McDonell saying labour might need to start a listening campaign so they can hear the concerns about anti Semitism.

Odd comment, wasn’t the Chakrebati (sp) report, complaints from Jewish labour members, complaints from a Jewish Labour Lord, complaints from Jewish Labour MPs and a few years of media critism enough of a clue for him before?

I was referencing this given the large numbers of Walt’s, never served, LMF’s etc who clutter up this site.
You're talking about yourself here.

I’ve just heard McDonell saying labour might need to start a listening campaign so they can hear the concerns about anti Semitism.

Odd comment, wasn’t the Chakrebati (sp) report, complaints from Jewish labour members, complaints from a Jewish Labour Lord, complaints from Jewish Labour MPs and a few years of media critism enough of a clue for him before?
She said there was no real problem, everything was fine. Ermine would do very nicely in payment thanks Jeremy (who would never put anyone in the Lords).

She said there was no real problem, everything was fine. Ermine would do very nicely in payment thanks Jeremy (who would never put anyone in the Lords).
I don't think she did say exactly that , hence why she made recommendations............that weren't carried out by labour.

Edited as I missed some words out :)

Last edited:
One thing her report suggested that is always worth noting is that Labour members who use anti Semitic langauge etc or carry out anti Semitic attacks SHOULDNT be banned for life.....................It's just a shame she didn't add:
And should be given a Labour Party broom to help sweep the problem under the carpet :)

I don't think she did say exactly that , hence why she made recommendations............that weren't carried out by labour.

Edited as I missed some words out :)
. . . except that she kinda did: remember, the inquiry wasn't focused solely on anti-Semitism but on wider racism within the Labour Party, though the comments uttered by Livingstone and Naz Shah were deemed anti-Semitic.

Her summary included this damning line '. . . although antisemitism and other types of racism were not endemic within Labour, there was an "occasionally toxic atmosphere".'

. . . except that she kinda did: remember, the inquiry wasn't focused solely on anti-Semitism but on wider racism within the Labour Party, though the comments uttered by Livingstone and Naz Shah were deemed anti-Semitic.

Her summary included this damning line '. . . although antisemitism and other types of racism were not endemic within Labour, there was an "occasionally toxic atmosphere".'
The bizarre thing, or predictable thing depending on what angle you look at the report is that her report was correct if you take what she says as it was written.

She was correct that the absolutely overwhelming majority of labour members are not abusive or anti Semitic etc.
The 'real life' problem imho is that those who are in the absolute minority and are anti Semitic or appear anti Semitic make up too large a proportion of those leading the party.

Not even the tail wagging the dog, but a 'docked tail' wagging a large dog. The dog is still very much being wagged, but the proportions allowed her to say what she did.
Just my two penneth worth on the subject :)

Second reply.
Better add this:
While it's no secret I'm a Tory voter, I do try to view each party as it stands, I know lots of Labour people and many of them are life long Labour members, none of them have any anti semitic views and a good portion of them despise Corbyn's and his chums and see them as nothing to do with the Labour Party in my local area.

With this being ARRSE, the very real sense that Corbyn actively supported those that tried to kill those of my generation will NEVER be forgotten, and no policy he now comes up with will allow some of the ex military Labour members so support him.

And he thought for a moment before he made his point and reply.

It seems quite a lot of people believe Stephen Lawrences mum is on a par with Churchill because she's made a place for herself in the world off the back of the brutal murder of her son. Now personally I think she's an attention seeker who doesn't deserve any attention or sympathy any more. Churchill on the other hand will always have my admiration and respect.
It also gives Labour a handy harassed and victimised ethnic to roll out should the need arise.

"What. racial victimisation by the Government, you say?
Doreen love, you're on. Here's a copy of the usual soundbites. You're talking to George Alagaih at 6!"

Second reply.
Better add this:
While it's no secret I'm a Tory voter, I do try to view each party as it stands, I know lots of Labour people and many of them are life long Labour members, none of them have any anti semitic views and a good portion of them despise Corbyn's and his chums and see them as nothing to do with the Labour Party in my local area.

With this being ARRSE, the very real sense that Corbyn actively supported those that tried to kill those of my generation will NEVER be forgotten, and no policy he now comes up with will allow some of the ex military Labour members so support him.
Quite right. The man cannot be believed or trusted. The perfect example of the old joke...

You have a Leader of the Opposition who for many years nailed his colours to some pretty nasty anti-Israeli groups (and note that whether you agree with Israel or not, whether on many or a few issues, the company Corbyn was keeping was very nasty indeed - and he has written articles following entirely innocent visits to certain graveyards which described his actions as one in the eye for Zionism).

You have an opposition party which even prior to Momentum/Militant's putsch was craven in its pursuit of the votes from certain sections of the community and in certain key areas. A good friend of mine bothered to read in full the main parties' manifestos prior to the last election, and he says that buried within Labour's was a rather chilling amount of stuff it was prepared once in power to have declared 'Islamophobic' - a clear sop, again, to a rather nasty and self-serving end of the community (and I'll be clear here: not all Muslims, but certainly some).

We've heard about moderates and Jews being barracked out of local hustings. We've seen people being deselected - including female Muslims, incidentally. We've seen Laura Kuenssberg have to be given personal protection when attending the annual party conference. All of that has been met with outright denial, accusations of false news and counter-claims of 'racism' and 'bigotry'.

Until yesterday, McDonnell and his rather unpleasant cohort have got away with outright denial, threats and bullying. People may scoff at the seven who broke away but their actions are a watershed, in the sense that the lid cannot any more be kept on what's been happening. That McDonnell is now saying that he and his should 'start' to listen is laughable. It's an attempt to put an oily face of reasonableness on the now fairly long-standing and engrained actions of some really rather unsavoury individuals.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
You have a Leader of the Opposition who for many years nailed his colours to some pretty nasty anti-Israeli groups (and note that whether you agree with Israel or not, whether on many or a few issues, the company Corbyn was keeping was very nasty indeed - and he has written articles following entirely innocent visits to certain graveyards which described his actions as one in the eye for Zionism).

You have an opposition party which even prior to Momentum/Militant's putsch was craven in its pursuit of the votes from certain sections of the community and in certain key areas. A good friend of mine bothered to read in full the main parties' manifestos prior to the last election, and he says that buried within Labour's was a rather chilling amount of stuff it was prepared once in power to have declared 'Islamophobic' - a clear sop, again, to a rather nasty and self-serving end of the community (and I'll be clear here: not all Muslims, but certainly some).

We've heard about moderates and Jews being barracked out of local hustings. We've seen people being deselected - including female Muslims, incidentally. We've seen Laura Kuenssberg have to be given personal protection when attending the annual party conference. All of that has been met with outright denial, accusations of false news and counter-claims of 'racism' and 'bigotry'.

Until yesterday, McDonnell and his rather unpleasant cohort have got away with outright denial, threats and bullying. People may scoff at the seven who broke away but their actions are a watershed, in the sense that the lid cannot any more be kept on what's been happening. That McDonnell is now saying that he and his should 'start' to listen is laughable. It's an attempt to put an oily face of reasonableness on the now fairly long-standing and engrained actions of some really rather unsavoury individuals.
the thing that really astounds me is how so many intelligent people (among my friends as well, I'm sorry to say) insist that there is no evidence for any of this. no matter what you present to them, they will disregard it on any grounds. it's disturbing, to say the least.