Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

The one major flaw in that cunning plan today would be there are no EMPTY council houses to collect polling cards from!

Make everybody, everywhere produce ID to vote. End postal fraud by strictly limiting those who qualify for it. 'I work shifts/I'm out of the country' is not good enough. Swap your shift or vote at a consulate/embassy abroad. Severely disabled/In hospital/live in remote locations acceptable. Job jobbed and fair to all.

My old granny (really old) was severely disabled but she always turned up in person to vote. How so? She told the canvassers that she would vote Labour and Labour would send a car round to collect their voters to take to the polling station (no one elses mind). As far as I know she never ever voted Labour. Her opinions on things would make even me blush.

Hang on, I haven’t paid attention then. I thought you hand in the document allowing you a ballot, you receive an unidentifiable polling card (the one with all the twats’ names on), do your stuff with the blunt pencil & pop it in the box.

Is there a link between the two pieces of paper?

(Genuine question here. I’ve got “A” level politics. I take this stuff seriously).
You hand in your polling card, they check your name (ID etc...) then issue you with a voting slip by tearing it out of a book, in the book by the edge of the voting slip is a number, that's written next to your name in the electoral register.
Off you go to vote, turn the voting slip over and on the back is the same number they've just written next to your name so whatever you put on the voting slip is traceable back to you.
Hope that helps.

Edited to add:
Damn, beaten to it by Listy.

You hand in your polling card, they check your name (ID etc...) then issue you with a voting slip by tearing it out of a book, in the book by the edge of the voting slip is a number, that's written next to your name in the electoral register.
Off you go to vote, turn the voting slip over and on the back is the same number they've just written next to your name so whatever you put on the voting slip is traceable back to you.
Hope that helps.

Edited to add:
Yeah, but you sound like you actually know what you're talking about.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add:

Thanks. Listy may be faster but you’ll always be in my heart ((((bill21))))

You hand in your polling card, they check your name (ID etc...) then issue you with a voting slip
Never been asked for it. Only for my address, then they score my name off the list.

Well, I once got as far as Hamburg with my wife’s passport.

To be fair it was a very very early flight and I don’t think anyone was paying much attention. Least of all me.

By the time I hit the little Krautplod booths they’d had a coffee though.

Cue several hours filling forms in. I ended up with a Schengen (sp?) passport and a German bobby making jokes about me being German now and arresting me for not doing National Service.

Hahaha.

Mostly my fault I suppose.

Don’t get me wrong, ID for voting is fine by me; so long as

A. It’s not used to undermine the secrecy of the ballot and

B. It’s introduced sensibly, fairly and not precipitously.

I have only seen the numbers form Gosport but 116 turned up without ID and 72 returned later to vote. It didn't say if they investigated the 44 who did not return. As a trial I would think that they took account of these numbers/people to see how it went. It would be nice to see the data when it all comes in. At this point it does not seem that it had any effect on turnout.
With it being a trial, no doubt some would have forgotten and some would have been unaware. Those that didn't return probably just couldn't be bothered. It's possible that one or two may have had the intention of fraudulently voting and even one fraudulent vote is one too many.

Washes off. It's done (and circumvented) in SA.
I'm sure that should the Great Leader come to power the labour party will come up with a method to prevent it being circumvented, Something along the lines of a tattoo on the arm for instance.

I have a bash at them every time I vote about why isn't it a secret ballot and on several occasions I've had to explain to them how the vote can be traced back to me because most of them really believe its a secret.
My missus asked once. The polling geezer said that your vote is not secret. The numbered ballot papers are retained for some time and so is the register bearing the number of the ballot paper issued to each voter.

We were assured that an order from a High Court Judge was required to "unseal" the register or the ballot papers.

In practice I suspect that the register is stored in a cupboard somewhere at the council under less than secure conditions. I remember, during Gordon Brown's reign, there were accusations of significant fraud in one ward. As if by magic, the register and ballot papers disappeared, never to be found.

Perhaps of more concern is the fact that electoral law allows a unique bar code to be printed on the back of each ballot paper. What's that for? Ballots are counted by hand. They are generally not scanned into a computer.

Oh dear.

I’m on contract. I get a day rate. I’m in the very lucky position of getting the day rate regardless of actual attendance (up to a point) as I’m ‘on call’ for a proportion of my time.

Hence, another contract requiring 5 days of site work and 5 days of writing -at £500 a day- is doable on top.

If you ask a passing 4 year old to do the sums for you it will save you taking your socks off.
Whatever, Pinocchio...

IMG_0271.PNG