• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

Apparently Peston says it's not going well. Posted 6:18pm

The auguries for tonight’s meeting between Jeremy Corbyn and mainstream representatives of the Jewish community are not great, following what in the political world would have been called a “sherpas” scoping discussion yesterday.

That was a discussion between Seumas Milne, Corbyn’s director of strategy and communications, and officials from the Board of Deputies of British Jews and the Jewish Leadership Council, and I am told it did not go well.

When the officials from the Jewish groups stressed the importance of expelling alleged anti-semites from the party there was a lot of talk of the importance of due process by Milne.

However, Milne apparently told the Jewish groups that even Labour’s adoption of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance’s working definition of anti-Semitism would only include the the core, non legally binding definition, [highlight]and not the attached notes that say one manifestation of anti-Semitism would be “the targeting of the state of Israel, conceived as a Jewish collectivity”. [/highlight]

In other words, unless Corbyn himself over-rules his most influential aide, tonight’s meeting – which has just started – will not go well.

I am not holding my breath for a statement from the Board of Deputies and Jewish Leadership Council that they are now persuaded Labour under Corbyn has properly understood what it takes to cut out the cancer of anti-Semitism.

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-04-24/little-sign-of-entente-between-jeremy-corbyn-and-jewish-groups/

That highlighted bit’s a tad worrying.

On that basis, saying ‘I don’t think that Israel is right build settlements in areas of the West Bank that are internationally deemed illegal’ makes whoever says it Himmler, or maybe a pug dog.

Isn’t it like that definition of racism that asserts that person A is racist if person B feels that any word or action they use is racist, regardless of intent or even misunderstanding?

Controversies about the word "niggardly" - Wikipedia

That highlighted bit’s a tad worrying.

On that basis, saying ‘I don’t think that Israel is right build settlements in areas of the West Bank that are internationally deemed illegal’ makes whoever says it Himmler, or maybe a pug dog.

Isn’t it like that definition of racism that asserts that person A is racist if person B feels that any word or action they use is racist, regardless of intent or even misunderstanding?

Controversies about the word "niggardly" - Wikipedia
Do you serve a purpose or are you naturally dull?

Apparently Peston says it's not going well. Posted 6:18pm

The auguries for tonight’s meeting between Jeremy Corbyn and mainstream representatives of the Jewish community are not great, following what in the political world would have been called a “sherpas” scoping discussion yesterday.

That was a discussion between Seumas Milne, Corbyn’s director of strategy and communications, and officials from the Board of Deputies of British Jews and the Jewish Leadership Council, and I am told it did not go well.

When the officials from the Jewish groups stressed the importance of expelling alleged anti-semites from the party there was a lot of talk of the importance of due process by Milne.

However, Milne apparently told the Jewish groups that even Labour’s adoption of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance’s working definition of anti-Semitism would only include the the core, non legally binding definition, and not the attached notes that say one manifestation of anti-Semitism would be “the targeting of the state of Israel, conceived as a Jewish collectivity”.

In other words, unless Corbyn himself over-rules his most influential aide, tonight’s meeting – which has just started – will not go well.

I am not holding my breath for a statement from the Board of Deputies and Jewish Leadership Council that they are now persuaded Labour under Corbyn has properly understood what it takes to cut out the cancer of anti-Semitism.

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-04-24/little-sign-of-entente-between-jeremy-corbyn-and-jewish-groups/
I have to say I agree with Milne on one thing: Criticism & dislike of the state of Israel isn't antisemitism & often justified.
Calling it such diminishes the perceived gravity of genuine antisemitic words & deeds.

Posted on the parliamentary discussion thread, but oh dear -does not seem to have gone well.

That reminds me I need to do a bit of research on the ace of spades and its connection with death. I was watching a 1922 silent film recently and the ace of spades featured as a sign of death in the film.
I bet that’ll be interesting.

But then gambling’s for fools. I mean, you win some, lose some. It’s all the same to me.

Don't you want to live forever?

The four suits we now associate with playing cards were modifications from the suits in Tarot cards. Swords became Spades.
Lots of things became spades, including leaves, knives, pikes..............and even digging spades ;)
Until tonight I hadn't given any thought to whether any of the charactors on playing cards were actually based on real people!

Posted on the parliamentary discussion thread, but oh dear -does not seem to have gone well.

It’s interesting, to me it feels like a shit union report on an unsuccessful negotiation. I’ll be interested to see what Corbyns detailed response to the meeting is

There seems to be an awful lot of rhetoric and some high bars/goal post moves by the jewish board of deputies. Definitions of anti-semitism as directed by the international holocaust rememberance alliance include not being allowed to critique Israel and a quite eye opening rule in which you aren’t allowed to compare contemporary Israeli policy in Palestine to the nazi’s :mrgreen: which could possibly be interpreted as a savage level of self awareness

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It’s interesting, to me it feels like a shit union report on an unsuccessful negotiation. I’ll be interested to see what Corbyns detailed response to the meeting is

There seems to be an awful lot of rhetoric and some high bars/goal post moves by the jewish board of deputies. Definitions of anti-semitism as directed by the international holocaust rememberance alliance include not being allowed to critique Israel and a quite eye opening rule in which you aren’t allowed to compare contemporary Israeli policy in Palestine to the nazi’s :mrgreen: which could possibly be interpreted as a savage level of self awareness
One thing for sure, it won't be Corbyn's detailed response, it will be Seamus's.