• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

View attachment 331650

He didn't actually leave the chamber during the debate he was stood in the lobby way behind the Speakers chair.........(Lifted from my twitter feed in response to Guido Fawkes)
That is one moment in time, it doesn't prove he didn't leave the chamber

Strange that LabourList say

Jeremy Corbyn has been criticised for choosing not to speak in the debate and leaving the Chamber early, missing a number of key speeches.
Are you saying they're lying ?

View attachment 331650

He didn't actually leave the chamber during the debate he was stood in the lobby way behind the Speakers chair.........(Lifted from my twitter feed in response to Guido Fawkes)
I don't recall people being angry because he 'had left' the chamber, I recall them being angry because he had 'removed himself from questions or the debate' by standing where he did.

A simple search of Hansard for the period the debate took place shows Corbyn took no part in the debate.

Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil?

A simple search of Hansard for the period the debate took place shows Corbyn took no part in the debate.
He bravely ran away, brave brave brave Sir Jeremy

From reporting of the debate

In rare scenes, MPs from across the political divide rose to applaud Luciana Berger 's speech. Mr Corbyn used the moment to walk out of the Commons chamber.

In a moving and emotional speech, Luciana Berger delivered a brutally honest account of the antisemitic abuse she has faced over an 18-year period, since the age of 19, when she was first called “a dirty Zionist pig”.

Ms Berger said: “I make no apology for holding my own party to a higher standard. Anti-racism is one of our central values, and there was a time not long ago when the left actively confronted antisemitism.

“The work done by the previous Labour government to move the equality goalposts in this country was one of the reasons why I joined the Labour Party in the first place. One antisemitic member of the Labour Party is one member too many.”

Reliving the aftermath of her decision to speak at the ‘Enough is Enough’ protest against the rise of anti-Jewish hatred in Parliament Square last month, Ms Berger said: “It pains me to say this as the proud parliamentary chair of the Jewish Labour Movement — in 2018, antisemitism is now more commonplace, more conspicuous and more corrosive within the Labour Party.”

Ms Berger also told of facing repeated allegations that her loyalties rest not with her constituents in Liverpool, but with the State of Israel.

She said: “They have said that I am Tel Aviv’s servant, and called me a paid-up Israeli operative. Essentially, this is antisemitism of the worst kind, suggesting that I am a traitor to our country.

“We have a duty to the next generation. Denial is not an option. Prevarication is not an option. Being a bystander who turns the other way is not an option. The time for action is now. Enough really is enough.”

In rare scenes, MPs from across the political divide rose to applaud her speech. Mr Corbyn used the moment to walk out of the Commons chamber.

Tom Watson, Labour’s deputy leader, chose to sit beside Ms Berger and her colleague Ms Smeeth during the debate, rather than in his usual place alongside Mr Corbyn on the front bench.

I believe, could be wrong though. That if you stand at the edge you can't take part or something.

I believe, could be wrong though. That if you stand at the edge you can't take part or something.
Yes, as pointed out earlier in the thread :)

What was equally bad was Abbott taking the bench and then refusing to give way whilee she talked about random things like Ofsted reports.................during speeches on anti semitism. It was just a blatant time wasting attempt as she knew the debate was time limited.

What was equally bad was Abbott taking the bench and then refusing to give way whilee she talked about random things like Ofsted reports.................during speeches on anti semitism. It was just a blatant time wasting attempt as she knew the debate was time limited.
She was trying to stop a Jewish Labour MP from speaking, rather ironic in the circumstances

She was trying to stop a Jewish Labour MP from speaking, rather ironic in the circumstances
Sadly not ironic, just obvious*.
Did you see the two 'clowns' laughing behind John Mann as he spoke?

*many people have said they have heard Corbyn's words but want to see his actions. His and Abbott's actions are all too apparent imho.

Last edited:

Filibustering, I think is the term.

I'm glad someone else here saw it, I thought they were massively disrespectful.
It seems to me that the performance in both Houses has deteriorated in recent years, something displayed by the majority of Lords and MPs. Unfortunately they give the impression they are a law unto themselves and not there for the benefit of the population.

Yup and generation benefits will still be voting for them
I was wondering why the Speaker did nothing about that.

And why didn't he tell Abbot to sit down and shut up?

I was wondering why the Speaker did nothing about that.

And why didn't he tell Abbot to sit down and shut up?
Because he's a pompous arrogant old git only concerned with himself, hence why even the Tories would rather see Harriet Harman as speaker then him stay on in the job

Remember Betty was Labour and I can't remember any people complaining about her, it's the person not the party for speaker

Because he's a pompous arrogant old git only concerned with himself, hence why even the Tories would rather see Harriet Harman as speaker then him stay on in the job

Remember Betty was Labour and I can't remember any people complaining about her, it's the person not the party for speaker
The Speaker should be impartial. Something he has never been.