Comrade Corbyn to the fore - whither (or wither) the Labour Party?

The land the arabs took from the jews in the first place, that land ?

After all Judea and the Kindom of Israel were there 3000 years ago
Who did they steal it off 3000 years ago?

Here is the latest appealstoeveryonebutnotaclueabouthowitwillbepaidfor Labour master stroke:

A Labour government would rip up the government’s definition of affordable housing and instead bring in a measure linked to people’s incomes.
Labour would rip up definition of affordable housing, Corbyn says

The Labour leader and John Healey, the shadow housing secretary, set out the party’s plans to link affordability to people’s incomes on tenures including social rent, living rent and low-cost ownership, in the 40-page green paper. Labour says one “common yardstick” is whether rent or a mortgage costs more than one-third of a household’s after-tax income.

Corbyn will say: “When housing has become a site of speculation for a wealthy few, leaving the many unable to access a decent, secure home, something has gone seriously wrong. We need to restore the principle that a decent home is a right owed to all, not a privilege for the few. And the only way to deliver on that right for everyone, regardless of income, is through social housing.”

Now I don't claim to be an economic genius but even I can see the problem here. Who is going to build these houses which will be rented very cheaply? Oh just one other minor fly in the ointment just on the barest glance, some people buy homes with a mortgage which is over a third of income because they're willing to sacrifice certain things for a nice big house/land/double garage/view/by the sea etc. I guess that they're going to be subsidising those people.

Here is the latest appealstoeveryonebutnotaclueabouthowitwillbepaidfor Labour master stroke:

A Labour government would rip up the government’s definition of affordable housing and instead bring in a measure linked to people’s incomes.

The Labour leader and John Healey, the shadow housing secretary, set out the party’s plans to link affordability to people’s incomes on tenures including social rent, living rent and low-cost ownership, in the 40-page green paper. Labour says one “common yardstick” is whether rent or a mortgage costs more than one-third of a household’s after-tax income.

Corbyn will say: “When housing has become a site of speculation for a wealthy few, leaving the many unable to access a decent, secure home, something has gone seriously wrong. We need to restore the principle that a decent home is a right owed to all, not a privilege for the few. And the only way to deliver on that right for everyone, regardless of income, is through social housing.”

Now I don't claim to be an economic genius but even I can see the problem here. Who is going to build these houses which will be rented very cheaply? Oh just one other minor fly in the ointment just on the barest glance, some people buy homes with a mortgage which is over a third of income because they're willing to sacrifice certain things for a nice big house/land/double garage/view/by the sea etc. I guess that they're going to be subsidising those people.
That's an awesome idea, presumably I can take out a mortgage on a much bigger house and the government will pay anything over 1/3rd of my income?

“When housing has become a site of speculation for a wealthy few, leaving the many unable to access a decent, secure home, something has gone seriously wrong. We need to restore the principle that a decent home is a right owed to all, not a privilege for the few. And the only way to deliver on that right for everyone, regardless of income, is through social housing.”
Nice insertion of soundbite in there. The 'weathly few' are actually the 'wealthy many'. At the last report over 62% of households owned their homes, albeit mortgaged.

I'm nt denying that there is a housing crisis, particularly and acutely amongst the young, but I draw the line at the notion that only the 'wealthy few' own homes, and the 'poor many' are consigned to renting

That's an awesome idea, presumably I can take out a mortgage on a much bigger house and the government will pay anything over 1/3rd of my income?
Of course! You're worth it.

Not much incentive yo achieve much if you get the same house as the doctor but you stack shelves.

Nice insertion of soundbite in there. The 'weathly few' are actually the 'wealthy many'. At the last report over 62% of households owned their homes, albeit mortgaged.
But that doesn't sound as good now does it DUH!!!

Not much incentive yo achieve much if you get the same house as the doctor but you stack shelves.
All animals are equal, comrade.

“When housing has become a site of speculation for a wealthy few, leaving the many unable to access a decent, secure home, something has gone seriously wrong. We need to restore the principle that a decent home is a right owed to all, not a privilege for the few. And the only way to deliver on that right for everyone, regardless of income, is through social housing.”

I'm nt denying that there is a housing crisis, particularly and acutely amongst the young, but I draw the line at the notion that only the 'wealthy few' own homes, and the 'poor many' are consigned to renting
Mush_lass (a millenial) has just cast her eyes over that and commented; "He knows his audience well, and the audience he's targeting will see themselves as the 'poor many'. Statistics and facts don't count, they hear what they want to hear, they ignore what they don't want to hear. A vote winner"

Facts vs. Emotions – Who Wins? | Weinreich Communications

Last edited:
Mush_lass (a millenial) has just cast her eyes over that and commented; "He knows his audience well, and the audience he's targeting will see themselves as the 'poor many'. Statistics and facts don't count, they hear what they want to hear, they ignore what they don't want to hear. A vote winner"
I think most people with half a brain get that, its just that so many are only interested in the soundbite, no thought further than 'free stuff'.
Everyone can see that there is an issue with housing, not helped by the influx of gimmegrants. Was The Right To Buy a good idea? Yes I think it was, it removed a massive issue from councils having to run housing stock and opened things up to a competitive market. The issue then was how to 'top up' the missing housing stock for people newly in need. That's where a trick was missed, I think. Lack of effective rent regulation and governance.

This latest Labour wheeze is not the answer.

Heard on the grapevine Corbyn is writing a new book called My Fight.