Computer Weird Stuff

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by paratus, Apr 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Try these out

Three things that Microsoft can't explain!

MAGIC #1
    Its been found that nobody can create a FOLDER anywhere on the Computer which can be named as "CON". This is something funny and inexplicable
    At Microsoft the whole Team, couldn't answer why this happened!
    TRY IT NOW, IT WILL NOT CREATE A "CON" FOLDER

MAGIC #2
    For those of you using Windows, do the following:
    1.) Open an empty notepad file
    2.) Type "Bush hid the facts" (without the quotes)
    3.) Save it as whatever you want.
    4.) Close it, and re-open it.
    Noticed the weird bug? No one can explain!

MAGIC #3
    Again this is something funny and can't be explained¦ At Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why this happened!
    It was discovered by a Brazilian. Try it out yourself
    Open Microsoft Word and type
    =rand (200, 99)
    And then press ENTER
    And see the magic.

2. Thats pretty good, has anyone got any more?

I'm at work and stuck for things to do!

3. CON is a reserved word that came from DOS and has been carried through to "the Command Prompt", (Don't let anyone tell you it's the same as DOS, it isn't... honest... no, really... nothing like it... :roll: )

The "CON" is the console and would be used in commands such as:-

Copy con hello

which would write "Hello" on the screen.

You also can't create folders called COM1 through COM8 because they are the COMmunication ports, NUL is also a bad one as is TTY... and so on...

There is actually a way of creating folders with these names but then they get hard to remove so I'll stay quiet. Script kiddies use them to hide their crap in so you can't delete it.

The Notepad thing is called an "Easter Egg". Programmers do stuff like this to "sign" their work.

The Rand command is short for Randomize. It is used to fill pages with text. Your command wrote 200 iterations of "The quick brown fox..." per line for 99 lines. If you did the same with =rand(3, 3) you would get 3 lines with three iterations on each line...

Yes, I'm a computer geek... :D

Edited because even geeks can't type... :oops:

4. Go to Hidden programmes and stuff for all

Enjoy

HH

5. The 'Bush' one doesn't work for me...and good stuff from Ab AC.

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I know I am going to regret asking this, but what if I put in =rand(40000000,40000000)

7. I've got a Mac. :( :( :(

8. Click this Linky

Enjoy

HH

9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

You poor sod. No amusing viruses, trojans or scrip kiddy antics to keep you amused, and you cant keep fit lugging 5kg of Toshiba laptop around with you.

10. Definitely not a reason for an un-happy face!

11. The random text comes in handy for things like page layouts - put all the boxes and headings etc you want, then fill the blank spaces.

I need to get out more.

12. Nothing :x I tried to crash my computer (yes i'm at work) but it didn't work.

Oh well, back to the old pick axe handle through the monitor method... :D

13. I must be doing something wrong. When I do the Notepad thing, all I get is a line of empty squares, and with the =rand caper, the cursor just jumps to the next line.

Is it coz I is black? :D :D :D

MsG