Computer running reeeeeeally slow... help!

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Bravo_Bravo, Mar 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Geeks

My PC is running as slowly as me; I've defragged, have about 25% spare space on the hard drive, but its really slow.

Is it possible that this could be caused by running 2x anti virus programmes? If so, how do I find out?

All suggestions welcome.

2. I once ran McAfee and Norton and the PC became slower than a stunned slug making its way through a glue spill.

Remove one of the programmes and see how you improve.
  3. yep 2 antivirus programs conflict, also go into disk cleaner its near the defrag and clean up, do you have tons of icons on your desktop? that doesnt help. Clean out your fans, check your PSU. Is your HD light continuosly on?
  4. msr

msr LE

What have you changed to make this happen?

Which antivirus do you use?
  5. You could try Hoovering out the fan outlet. If the processor is running hot it can have a big effect.

2x anti virus is a bit much :?
  6. Defrag your hard drive, only use one anti virus and getting rid of any unused desktop shortcuts should help.
  7. Someone on here suggested the hoover thing last year top tip I was amazed at the difference it made to my speed.
  8. msr

msr LE

Is there any evidence for this?

9. Its been cleaned; I do have a fair few icons but have cut down the number.

How ( NOWAH ) do I find out how many anti-virus programmes I have?
  10. Try cleaning out all your start up menu as well. only have stuff that's necessary in there.

Edit: I've got an email from Symantec which you might find useful. It's on my work computer. PM me your email and I'll send it to you tomorrow.
  11. Yes, also cleaning up the shortcuts out of your start->Programs will help also.

You can also get rid of some of those pesky "helper" apps that run via registry if you feel comfortable enough to mess with it.

** WARNING **

Registry Startups
    start->Run type regedit

Drop down HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->Run

Right click on my computer, select "Manage" then drop down "services and applications" then highlight services. Find services you don't need and turn them off.

Here's a guide for figuring that out.
  12. Go into Control Panel and then click on Programs and Features. That will list all the software you have loaded. It's unlikely you'll have two anti-virus programmes if you haven't loaded a second one yourself. If Norton is loaded the it will probably have disabled Windows Defender so that it can operate freely.
  13. I think he is confusing short cuts with the actual files. If you save files to your desktop it will seriously increase the amount of time taken to boot. If it is just short cuts, it should have little to no effect.
    Got to agree with the hoovering tip, can make an incredible difference.

edited to add,
    ghost_us speaking of registry changes reminded me of this
    It is an excellent free tool that cleans up your pc and will find huge amounts of cr4p on your computer.
    Within the tools tab there is a feature that will allow you to turn on and off registry items without the risk of causing damage.
  14. If you're using the PC for gaming, then download Gamebooster;

USing this, you can shut down all those background operations, whilst gaming.

Also try CCleaner, which will delete any files, cookies and (as the name suggests) any Crap that you no longer use/need.
  15. Two things you can also try: " What's running" and "Hijack this" both are freeware, findable on the Internet, both look deeper than the processes under Task Manager and ignore administrator privileges. It could be that there are some processes running that you don't want. By the way, it's always advisable to list the following: Operating System (the above work up to and including Windows XP), Processor, RAM etc. We'd then get a better idea of what your actual circumstances are. Hope this helps. PS. be careful with the utilities mentioned. Don't stop a process running just beacuse it "looks wrong". Analyse the whole thing first, then decide what to delete.