Computer Mongtard Has A Bone Question - Too Tight To Pay For Repair

My ancient but usually well working Acer laptop that runs on Windows 7 has developed a fault I have never encountered.

In brief, when trying to log in which is password protected I am unable to do so as some parts of the keyboard seem to be frozen, the letter A and the number 1. I've removed the keyboard "tiles" and thoroughly cleaned the pad as well as visually inspected for damage (none).

Is this a malware or some such malarkey?

What's particularly tiresome is that as I can't get access to the main operating menu I'm unable to do anything.

Tried using another laptop to search on 'tinterweb to look for fixes/repairs but nothing suggested seems to resolve the problem.

Boring and mundane I know but can anyone suggest what I can do to resolve the problem or do I have to mag to grid?

and then claim on the insurance

I like your thinking.

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
Have you tried connecting a USB keyboard to see if that works?

Beg, steal or borrow a USB keyboard form somewhere, plug it into the laptop and see if that works. Change your password to something that does not require the non working keys.

Damn beaten to it.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
My ancient but usually well working Acer laptop that runs on Windows 7 has developed a fault I have never encountered.

In brief, when trying to log in which is password protected I am unable to do so as some parts of the keyboard seem to be frozen, the letter A and the number 1. I've removed the keyboard "tiles" and thoroughly cleaned the pad as well as visually inspected for damage (none).

Is this a malware or some such malarkey?

What's particularly tiresome is that as I can't get access to the main operating menu I'm unable to do anything.

Tried using another laptop to search on 'tinterweb to look for fixes/repairs but nothing suggested seems to resolve the problem.

Boring and mundane I know but can anyone suggest what I can do to resolve the problem or do I have to mag to grid?
Probably the keyboard giving up the ghost.

You could try starting in Safe mode to see what happens.

Need to Start Windows 7 in Safe Mode? Here's How

Wordsmith

Try a reboot but take the battery out of the machine. Count to potato and put it back in then restart.

Other wise as above plug a usb keyboard in and get in that way.

I certainly did not get an out of date computer replaced in Cyprus due to being struck by lightening during a major storm*, and definitely without the collusion of the local computer shop and they didn't claim my PC was a much higher spec than it had been.

*the storm actually happened.

Imagine you are a MOD, or Thor.

I had a duff key on a Toshiba lappy. I was able to get a new replacement keyboard online for about £14.00. Connecting it was quite easy. Remove the battery. Prise out the old one and carefully snap-fit the new one in.

I should think Acer are much the same.

You're bound to find a fix demo on YouTube.

I certainly did not get an out of date computer replaced in Cyprus due to being struck by lightening during a major storm*, and definitely without the collusion of the local computer shop and they didn't claim my PC was a much higher spec than it had been.

*the storm actually happened.
This is you then?

Use the Alt key combinations to enter your password.

IMG_2272.PNG

Then follow the steps in the link in #7.

Edit: make sure Num Lock is on.

Last edited:
I am also a computer mongtard therefore everything is Apple, jobs done.
When is the new iturd coming out I hear it's a lump of dogshit with an Apple logo and a bargain at 300 euros

Use the Alt key combinations to enter your password.

View attachment 294967

Then follow the steps in the link in #7.

Edit: make sure Num Lock is on.
Is there a way to make this work if your keyboard doesn't have a Num Lock? Holding AltGr while hitting certain letters makes some of those things happen but there are other things in that list I wouldn't mind being able to do.

What day does your bin get emptied ?
1 - Stick it in the road and wait for the bin lorry to run it over. Job's a good un etc.
2 - Get the biggest hammer you can find, etc.
3 - External keyboard,
4 - Pull the hard drive, stick it in a working windows machine, run it as a slave, salvage the data you want off it, then see (2) above.

Not worth starting a new thread so sticking this here.

Got a little HP notebook thing for browsing and email. It was a present and has a 360degree folding touchscreen to use it like a tablet. Not a bad piece of kit.

Had to happen one day I suppose but I spilled wine on it on Friday night. Right on the power in socket. Pop, fuse blew and notebook died.

Tried drying it out with a hair dryer and stood it by a heater. When I thought it ought to be dry enough I plugged it in and switched it on (having replaced the fuse).

Screen came alive and HDD was spun up but it wouldn’t boot.

Tried again. BSOD and no HDD spin.

I let it dry out a bit more.

Just plugged in the power cable. Light came on so it is drawing power.

Pressed on/off switch. It lit up. After 20 seconds it started flashing. After one minute it switched off. Power in light is on.

I can take it apart and extract the HDD to recover the data but it is a sealed unit and I don’t want to do drastic surgery on it.

Any ingenious tips to rectify the problem (excluding rice and giving up wine to prevent a recurrence). Anyone been there, done that and sorted it.