Computer mong - Disc Management

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by mgmidget, Jan 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No excuses Im a computer mong.

Seem to have a minor prob with my disc management on my PC (running XP).

If I go My Computer>Manage>Disc Management I get a bit that says 18.60 Gb Unallocated? Is this unused disc space that I could add to the C: Drive? (Hope the attached screen snap makes it clear!)

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this partition? (am I using the right terminology?).

Cheers in advance

Attached Files:

2. Not sure how you formatted the drive or what stuff is on it but appears to be free. Best way to check is to go to start > programs > windows explorer then left click my comp then Local disc C - when this is highlighted right click in the box that appears properties, you will see a pie chart..

Tip of the day - buy an external hard disk 250GB about £50 and back up comp to external and vice versa. Also run defrag and delete crap
  3. No leave it alone!! - It's the way your massive Hard Drive is split up for easy retrieval - It's all part of 'C' Drive

Rather than all your Data filed at the beginning of the drive

They cleverly partition it up into different sections (like a cake)
    and when you need a file it rushes off to the right piece of cake
    and then searches bit by bit 'til it finds what it's looking for..

clever eh!
  4. Got no problems with how my PC is running or disc space, just looks to my uneducated mind that theres 18.60 Gb sat doing nothing.
  5. if it's not broke no need to fix it, just the way you have partitioned it, as above like a big cake cut into sections.
  6. Not sure how it works on XP because the disk management is crap but if you right click your larger partition (the 'C' one) there should be an option to extend the size of it to fill that unallocated space.

Be warned that any resizing of partitions done either by your OS or a thrid party program such as partition magic, although rare can make you lose data and in extreme cases call for a full reformat and reinstall of the operating system.
  7. That 18Gb is space that you won't be able to use as it is unallocated. I'm guessing you have a Dell computer with that layout.
    The way I see it, you hav two choices:
    1. Purchase a program such as partition magic to merge that unallocated space with your current C drive.
    2. Simply create a new partition with that unallocated space and create a 'new' drive to store data or whatever on.
  8. msr

msr LE

Or 3. Just leave it alone.

9. I would normally see msr's option 3 as defeatist :p but given your opening line, "No excuses Im a computer mong." option 3 sounds good, and don't ever go into Disk management again!!! :D
  10. I have same problem: dad's old laptop - decent Sony with XP - has a 20Gb disk split into two partitions. The default C: partition of 10Gb is nearly full, and I was trying to understand if there was a way of deleting the D: partition without having to reformat the disk.

(Other problem is that hes in Spain and I'm in Moscow - so I'd have to talk him through it!)

Can't find any instructions on the web that clarify if you can actually do this, so is the consensus that it requires buying a programme like Partition Magic? Bit of waste for once-only use...
  11. Yes Partition Magic/Norton Ghost will do the job, Its quite user friendly. If you look hard enough you can find it for free. You can also use a win95/98/me boot disk (Fdisk) to remove partitions ect, but this will scrub all your data and you can fcuk it up good and proper.
  12. Best advice I can give:
    If you are uncertain about what you're doing and it works ok, leave it alone.
    If you know someone who does (and you trust them) let them have a go.

On the face of it I would say it would be possible to expand you're C: partition into the empty space. I would not however attempt to do so without first having a solid reliable back-up of the entire system, and a separate one of anything on there that's important.
  13. msr

msr LE

This is free:

But it is a 'hands on' thing, as it is too easy for him to lose everything if trying to explain it remotely.

14. Most partition managers can nowadys 'shuffle' the space a bit between used partitions or unused partition space. So without deleting anything you can move the space about.

It is common practice to leave some spare when the drive is first setup. The available space you have on each is plenty so it is probably best left alone.

1 It can take a long time with some to rearrange the space and the used files.

2 You can have a bad loss of everything if something goes wrong or you pick the wrong options.

3 Sometimes the space is not realy unused, it is unrecognised by the Windows manager. There have been cases of the recovery information that is on the drive instead of you getting a CD is not recognised (But nowadays should not be the case)
  15. This looks like simply wastefull installation of the OS by the PC vendor. There is no need to preserve disk space, unless the vendor keeps the driver disks there and only supplies a "recovery cd". In which case the 3.15 gig partition probably has them.

Also why do you have a FAT partition? It is very small, is it another OS like tiger?

I would find out whats on the 3.15 gig unknown partition FAT 32, more than likely its nothing valuable unless you put it there and 3.15 is not much use for anything these days. Once happy it doesnt contain any of your files delete the partition using disk management and you should now see 21 gig approx of unallocated space. Create a partition in that space using all of it and then format it as ntfs, give it a drive letter and call it programs.

Then only install new programs on that drive, leaving the C drive free for the OS and swap files. Keep your docs and files on the new partition also. Then if you need to reinstall or change OS you can get all your settings and files back quickly from the new partition.

Even if you re-install programs providing you use the same location the settings will persist through an OS re-install. Office 2007 is a good example of that.