Computer lock out- HELP!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Drlligaf, Jan 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For reasons that I have not yet determined, but I suspect virus/malware, I can no longer access Windows XP, when I enter my password I get a message after about 2 seconds, "saving your settings" and that's it. Even safe mode doesn't get me in. Any clues or suggestions please?
  2. msr

msr LE

Could be malware, but I was wondering does anyone else have access to your PC?

It sounds to me like someone has put a shortcut to 'shutdown' in your startup folder... if so, try logging on with the Administrator account.

3. No one else has access and the admin account doesn't work either. The latest information from the IT bods here ( who have just fixed my work computer) is that a new very nasty virus is doing the rounds and it apparently lurks in the ISP, it also apparently tried to work its way in via Microsoft updates to Windows. It would appear that my computer is knackered and only a format and re-install is going to work. :x
  4. have you started yr machine with the xp disc in and go to the recovery consul?
  5. msr

msr LE

Never heard of this one... can you get some more info from them?

How soon do you need the PC back up and running?

6. Google windows xp repair
  7. First of all thanks for the tips everyone.
    I shall have to talk to the IT people again about this virus and find out more info.
    A tame IT bod has already offered to fix the problem, which is easy. What worries me is the securing of my data, which is not so easy, but he can do that as well. Somewhat carelessly I did not make a copy on a separate source of all that I wanted to keep. Lesson learnt the hard way.
  8. Apparently it is called Slober and there are various versions, I am told it attaches itself to the DLL files and prevents access to Windows so that you cannot even log into your own account, not even in safe mode.
  9. this will fix it.

XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
    2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
    3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
    4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
    5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
    6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.