Computer freezes - video driver?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by captaincalamity, Apr 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I have a Thinkpad T42. I have been having a problem recently whereby the thing just freezes up every now and again, occaisonally several times in a row, and the only answer is to disconnect the power and start again. Looking on the Internet I thought it may be something to do with the video driver, so I have uninstalled and reinstalled that. I defraged also recently. Am I doing the right thing or should I be looking elsewhere?

Also I am having probs with the webcam (Logitech 9000), in that the screen that shows what is being filmed doesn't move, if it comes up at all, and the person at the other end can't see me even though I can see them, and we can both hear each other. Is this a related issue to the above?

Many thanks
  2. Hi CC,

Could be any number of reasons why its freezing, graphic card, faulty memory module, virus, irq allocation or even a hardware fault. Will all depend on what spec t42 is and what software you are running. I notice after a quick google search that this seems to happen quite regularly with this machine. One of the solutions to rule out drivers is to download the latest version of IBM software installer which should install the latest drivers for your machine.
    For your webcam, check the system requirements for the cam and make sure you have everything required here,en#

Make sure you have installed the correct drivers for your operating system. If the machine only started crashing when you installed the webcam, could well be the problem, try totally uninstalling the software and try the machine to see if it crashes. Alternatively, use system restore to restore your machine back to where it was before you installed the webcam.

Hope that helps
  3. Ok cheers, I'll give it another go tonight.

On a similar topic, it looks like I should really buy something new (it was secondhand to start with). Reading various reviews it seems that something from Samsung is the way forward (R560/Q310/Q210). I mostly use the thing for Net surfing and looking at ahem 'clips'. Since I will be getting a work laptop anyway, what would be the ideal laptop to go for in the £500/£750 bracket (my son uses it for games as well)?

4. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

There are some good deals with PC World including AV Software at a discounted price.
  5. And likely considerably better deals at pretty much any online retailer :wink:

Obviously there are other considerabtions to take into account aswell. Personally I would shop anywhere rather than PC world. The majority of the time you will get far superior quality and a lower price.

PC World are getting better though I must admit, given another few years they may be truly competitive.
  6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Agree but there is one advantage if you are not big on the knowledge side, you can dump it on the counter and say it's broke-fix it.
  7. I redid the webcam driver so we shall see where that gets things. Thanks. However, the drivermax site wants me to buy stuff - ouch! And looking at the Lenovo home site it seems that you don't necessarily need the latest version of a driver anyway? Would that lead to compatability issues? Does anybody know of free diagnostic tools?

8. Nope, it still wants money. Have you actually tried it or what?
  9. I've used drivermax to update all my drivers and it didn't cost me anything.
  10. captaincalamity It's most likely you you have a corrupt or lost DLL'S, google sfc on xp or google a systems repair on xp that will cure it. i recommend drivermax just to keep your system up todate.
  11. Ok cheers, I'll give it another shot tonight.
  12. Oh I agree which is why I said there are other considerations aswell. I do think PC World take advantage of those with little knowledge though.

I haven't been near the place for a long time now so it may have changed, but I remember going in a while back and seeing signs for their PC help clinic which was charging around £50-£60 just to tell you whats wrong, then their was the cost to fix it on top of that.