Computer disaster

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by very_old_git, Apr 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Arrse was one of a large collection of web in my favorites file (sub file - military). whilst on line today, and clicking on the 'military' subfile, my lab X collie nudged my elbow. DISASTER The entire collection of military reference sites, and related sited DELETED - GONE.
    Sadly I had failed to backup the favorites file, so I am faced with the task of trying to remember all the various sites that I used to have listed.
    Then - stroke of genius :idea: mates on sapper forum will probably know of interesting sites, and some of them might also be interested in others listed military favorites.
    So lets swap interesting site addresses. Could also be an interesting sticky (for reference)

v_o_g

2. RE EOD Unofficial Website:

Press on Union Jackie's Top bollocks to enter the site :wink:

[​IMG]

or Just go Here

Enjoy...

3. Thanks Holdfast, Knocker, Fatbadge: thats got the list started. Will be interesting to see what turns up.

4. Did you check in the "recycle bin" for your deleted favourites? Like any other file, when a favourite is deleted it is moved to the Recycle Bin first. They can be dragged out back into your favourites folder.

As I'm here, I might as well get a plug in for my PSYOP website :D :

http://www.psywar.org/

PW.O

5. Get hold of FreeUndelete and see if you can recover them. It might take some time, but the way in which NTFS (I'm assuming you're using w2k or XP) works, the blocks are not immediately reused; NTFS tries to use contiguous disk space. This is different to the old FAT/FAT32 system, which marked entries as free, and started using the first free entry in the directory block.

6. :? :? :? :?

7. Computer files are stored on disk as "blocks" (ie containers, or sectors).

NTFS is how the disk is formatted, ie how the computer keeps track of what is on the disk; where information is stored, where to look for it, and to write new files to (which sectors can be used, which are free for use), and which blocks to mark as "empty" when you delete something. Its refered to a filing system as that is what it is, how to file things on a disk, just like adding, changing and deleting and generally organising files in a filing cabinet.

Because they are only marked as empty, instead of actually being erased (or overwritten), most of the time if you delete something by mistake you can get it back quite quickly.

Windows' Recycle Bin uses this to keep "deleted" files and restore them. But even if you have emptied the recycle bin, the files probably still exist.

A [simplified] example.

Your disk has 10,000 blocks for storing information. You have used blocks 1-3000. You haven't deleted anything, so Windows will use blocks 3001 onwards for the next new file.

You save a file, Windows writes it into blocks 3001, 3002, etc (lets say until 3005).

You delete a file, which was stored in blocks 1000 - 1002.

Under the *old* FAT filing system, Windows would now know that if it had to write a new file to the disk, it would start using blocks 1000, 1001, 1002.

But using NTFS, windows will still start at blocks 3006, because the blocks from there onwards offer the largest continuos free space.

Vastly over-simplified, but it should help explain the basic concept.

8. He only wanted some web sites :)