Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by DMSDAVE, Oct 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone got any advice for a recurring problem with my pc? It's fine for about 1 hour or so when i turn it on and then,bingo, it crashes without warning . A message appears saying windows has encountered a problem and needs to close down. i've had the memory checked but, apart from that,i'm pissed off with it and don't know what's up with it or is it just fucked? :x
  2. It could be a few things. PSU can do that. What make of PC is it?
  3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Could be an overheating problem. Are all the fans working, especially the one on the CPU heat sink?
  4. On the same lines, my pc is saying that Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close, then gives me the option of sending the details to Microsoft, or not to send. Never any harm done, but a pain in the arrse if I am doing some work online and then have to re-submit all over again.

Sorry, no answer for original poster but thought I would piggy bag his techno question while it was here.
  5. If that happens you sometimes get a "thermal event" error.

But it's always good to check the heatsink/fans etc
  6. If it gets really hot and whirrs manically it could be a fan problem.

Open task manager, look at the performance graph and watch the CPU activity graph; does it stay permanently high?
  7. It's an old HP ,i can't complain as i got it very cheap.I will take the side off and check the fans. Thanks for the quick responses.
  8. Serves you right for using IE. Get firefox; much better 8)
  9. No it's not.
  10. Sorry mate,the only thing i will be opening is a can of wifebeater! i'm sorry but my knowledge of computers would fit on a stamp :oops:
  11. Yes it is.
  12. Apparently Mr microsoft has not renewed his licences that is why explorer keeps coming up with this message use FireFox and the problem will go away (or it has for me)
  13. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Check out how much space you have left on your HD.
  14. No it's not :)
  15. BTW this could be a driver problem, have you installed anything recently?
    I do not think it is a CPU overheating problem as you would not get this error, or I have never known it anyway. It could be a memory overheating problem though.....when did this problem start, what did you do before it started or around the time it started?
    Is your AV ok and up to date?
    Has your firewall asked you for any extra permissions?