Computer Books

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by fltpilot, Jul 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need to buy a few computer books for a course i'm strarting in september.
    Apart from play.com & amazon anyothers i could try?
    Was thinking of buying it from the USA & getting a friend to bring it over?

2. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

What subjects are you after?

Do you want ebooks? If so, PM me and I can send you more than you can poke a stick at.

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Udipur,

How does this ebooks thingy work? Can they be viewed/read on PC/Notebook or does one have to buy a special reader?

Just curious.

A-Y

4. For new books, it's hard to beat Amazon prices. For used books try abebooks.com.
    What do you need? I'm probably going to get rid of a couple of C++ and assembly programming text books.

5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Don't get carried away with Amazon. I have edited a few books in my time, including a cursory last-minute tidy-up of "Armoured Farmer" by a member of Arrse. Through this I have heard tales about the business practices of Amazon (and I have recently suffered similar from Waterstone, such that once I have spent all my eMoney, I shan't be using Waterstone again).

You take your book to a publisher and you agree to the selling price they dictate (but you really wanted more for your magnum opus, but they are the publisher and they know best). The minute the book's details appear on the web, trawler software from the big players (Amazon, Waterstone, etc) scoop them up and advertise it themselves, knowing that Joe Public will look at their website first.

The minute sales start to slacken, they slash prices, which corners the market for them and they end up controlling the book. Smaller players cannot undercut. They don't actually need books in stock: having cornered the market, nobody is buying the book from elsewhere, so they can order direct from the publisher. If the publisher has finished its print run, the big player can generate enough orders to force a reprint. This is how understand it. Apologies if I am mistaken.

However, if there are not enough orders, your money sits with them and sits with them and (twice in the last couple of months) after a month they tell you they cannot complete the order and give you your money back in the form of an eVoucher to spend in their online shop.

Another wheeze I have discovered is that they will try and pass off eBooks as books. Let's face it, they charge a fraction less for some downloadable data than they charge for a book, whose paper has had to be cut, transported, made into paper, printed, bound and shipped, so they make a stupidly big, some might say obscene, profit. First I knew of this, having ordered three books to take on holiday, the money went out of my account and the message pops up, "Your eBooks are now ready for download." But I hadn't ordered friggin eBooks. I sit at a screen all day long: in the evening, I like to curl up on the sofa and read a book, not stare into a different screen.

(Sat in the motorway services Saturday returning from holiday, I heard a woman at the next table shouting down her husband because reading eBooks on a cheap screen damages your eyes far more than reading the printed word on paper. I struggled hard not to walk across and shake her hand. eBooks boil my p!ss.)

Since you ask, the two books that failed to appear were:

To The Last Round (which is current and written by a member of Arrse) and the diary of a 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars) officer in the Peninsular War.

Sorry rant over. Must put soap box away again. Nurse! Where's me pills?

6. CompTIA mostly, not sure which exams yet & also looking at the new CCNET?

7. Yep I think you're spot there. That's why I will not be selling my book through them. However, the author always seems to be at the bottom of barrel when it comes to making a profit from book sales.

8. Worth taking out a student membership with the Association of Computer Machinery. They have a large library of eBooks and some online courses for all the CompTIA certificates. Student membership is about $25 a year IIRC. Welcome — Association for Computing Machinery