Compulsory Rememberance Day parade attendance?

Discussion in 'ACF' started by crabby, Nov 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On monday I was discussing with a 15 year old pupil at school (as his teacher) how one of his GCSEs went.

He basically said not as well as he hoped, he didn't do as much work as he hoped. Part of the reason for this seemed to be that an AI SNCO had instructed the ACF cadets that they would be there at rememberance day parade or they would be kicked out.

I'm not against attendance at Rememberance day, far from it. However this pupil felt that he had no option, but to attend and potentially decrease his achievement in that GCSE exam he sat the monday.

Is attendance compulsory? Would a written request to the CO not to attend due to external circumstances have given him the chance to fulfill his potential at school the next day?

I'm just looking for where he stands in all this, because my first very mild assessment of the situation is that the SNCO was making things "clear" the way that they do and being a "follower" this pupil did not question politely for what may have been his own good.

School pupils first, acf cadets second?
  2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Agreed, the AI will, almost certainly, be a 21 year old ex cadet. The AI is a bully and is not fit to be in charge of other people's kids.
  3. Bluff.

The cadet was not on duty when "ordered" to attend, so cannot be given an "order".

As far as I can tell is not actually subject to Military Discipline anyway ( I stand to be corrected. )

Phone call to the grown ups in order.
  4. At my old school it wasn't compulsory. I went on Sunday and there were a number of lads there though but I spoke to the WO and it's down to the individual.

As an aside, it should not have come down to the day before the exam (seems to be a bit of an excuse) and just out of interest, what sort of a GCSE is done in November?
  5. The SNCO is apparently ex-reg, I asked about that aspect.

What I'm trying to work out is whether the SNCO in question is a bully, or whether the pupil took SNCO banter + word/phrase choice too seriously and, as he has started to lean towards joining the army, did not want to scupper his ACF career.
  6. Are you 100% sure this was the case and that he was at the parade or even that he did study afterwards
  7. so, is the reason this pupil did poorly at his exam down to Nov 11th, or down to the fact that he left it until the last minute to do revision? Does a couple of hours on a Sunday really mean the difference between A or B grade?
  8. It is partly an excuse for what will probably be poor performance on his part. However, he is one of those pupils that does most of his work, and his best work, under pressure a short time before assessment.

The exam was a maths module. They sit one in November to reduce their workload come the summer. I believe most of the country was sitting it Friday, but being where we are the High Schools were closed for the almost flood, so they sat the module monday
  9. Sounds like an excuse to me.

Did the ACF keep him up late on the Sunday night?
    Then how are the cadets responsible for his poor grade.

Bet the dog eat his home work too.
  10. We're not even talking A or B grade. We're talking the possibility of dragging his arrse to a C grade in some subjects by June.

He now has the target of an army career in his sights which is finally motivating him to work on his academic side. For him those few hours on Sunday may have made a real difference of a grade or more.

I am not excusing the pupil for his revising and previous attitude to studying, we have all spent a very long time trying to get him to work, but I do believe being involved on the Sunday would have influenced his results for the worse.
  11. We encourage our cadets to attend, but by no means make it mandatory, simply we can't.

Maybe the SNCO asked for names for poppy day and said that those committing must attend, its a problem we have 12 people say they'll attend and then only 5 turn up. If we know 5 from the start then at least we know where we stand, maybe that is how it was phrased.

My FT employment is in the FE education setting and as such I am aware of exam periods, and try and persuade cadets not to attend as much if at all during these times.

Of course when I was in school I used every excuse I could for the impending bad news.
  12. So his attendence at a Parade that would have, at most, taken up about 4 hours of his time lowered his chances in a GCSE? This I would beleive if he had promptly gone on a bender straight after, but he is 15.

I have a shrewd idea he had more than enough time to revise and prepare in the run up to the exam, and if he had to "cram" the night before, somehow the whole afternoon from what 1300 to whenever he went to bed would have been sufficient.

Slap the little sh1te for using this as an excuse.

Poor planning on his behalf is hardly an excuse. It is time for him to grow up and take responsibility for his actions. Ask him how much time he spent on his skateboard, or whatever youngsters do nowadays on the Sat before Rememberence Day.

As for show up or leave, bit harsh. Was it really couched in this way? I of Cadets units that have robust attendance policies, but not generally based on one event. Even the 11th November.

What was his GCSE in Nov?

Incidentally, having been an OU student for the past few years, I can categorically state that my grades have not been unduly effected by 6 month tours (inc Mortars), exercises, courses (career and other) and of course the 10 hours of work and commute I do a day, let alone the Rememberance Service that I attended on Sunday.
  13. Sorry crabby, but if a couple of hours on a Sunday is going to make all the difference, then it says a lot about the kid. No excuses really is there?
  14. See above post for details on his GCSE exam.

Part of the reason I am looking for an answer is to discover how much of an excuse this was. I am not on a witch-hunt for the AIs concerned.

He is a sh*t when it comes to schoolwork, but guess what, so are most of the kids at the school. 45% get 5A*s-C. If I can confront him with some of this information, safe in the knowledge of what is and isn't expected/demanded of him then I stand a greater chance of getting somewhere.

Yes, he crams. So what? How many people here didn't cram the day before an exam?
  15. Me, hence why I failed