Compulsory move to AFPS05 for LE Commissioning ?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by floppyjocky, Mar 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick question. A little birdie tells me that if commissioning from WO2/WO1 straight to IRC then you automatically get moved onto AFPS05.

Can anyone enlighten me? and is it the case for SSC(LE)?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Sorry if it's already been asked, can't find it.

2. I hope it is incorrect as I have been selected for an LE IRC.
    And as a soldier, I chose to stay on the AFPS 75 like the other 99.99% of the British Army.

3. one of your brethren asked about this while we were at 5 regt. think the answer was - yes and no.

you elected to stay on afps 75, so your non-commissioned service is pensioned like that. then when you get LE commissioning, you are technically re-enlisting and your service from that point is under afps 05.

don't know how this works in terms of lump sums etc, but essentially i recall the answer was you have two pensions - one for each part of your service.

i could be talking complete bollox. but that's what i think the answer was. it's definitely been asked on this forum before too.

4. 1st part of para 4

5. perhaps you would be so good as to post the correct answer then?

6. If you are old serve till your 22 year Point, if not serve till your EDP (18 years I believe), you cannot be forced to change your commitment

7. so you totally missed the point of the question and decided to talk bollox yourself? what sort of "advice" is that for someone asking about the fact that they have been LE commissioned (and therefore technically unenlist and re-enlist as officers)?

if you know the definitive answer, post it. if you don't, kindly refrain from telling others they are talking bollox before going on to make it abundantly clear you haven't a fucking clue what you're on about.

with clerks like you, roll on JPA.

8. One too many beers ?

9. From the Offer To Transfer (OTT) information pack:

Page 27 - Useful Questions and Answers

Q. If I extend my service after AFPS 05 has been introduced, or am commissioned from the ranks, will I have to transfer to AFPS 05 at that point?

A. No. An extension of service or commissioning does not count as leaving and re-joining. However, if you leave the Armed Forces and are re-employed after 5 Apr 05 (including changing from one Service to another) you would join AFPS 05.

Hope this helps

10. cheers for clearing that up. i was talking bollox then :)

11. There was also no problem when the majority of SSC(LE) converted to IRC(LE) this year. We remained on whatever pension scheme we had elected previously.

12. Many thanks to all.

13. Please be aware, however, that if you leave before your IRC runout, you will be placed on to the PVR rates of pension and not compulsory rates of pension. The implications are that you cold lose out if you leave early. The longer you do, the nearer the Compulsory and PVR rates get until they merge.

Those who converted from SSC to IRC then left relatively quickly could lose a few quid.

14. IIRC the differential disappears after about 30 years of service. I have last year's pension tables if anyone is interested.

Litotes