Compulsory fasting for all

Later this month it's Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. It's one of the holiest days of the Jewish calendar, so I'd be obliged, please, if you'd all stay at home, turn off the TV and refrain from your usual activities. Ten days after that it's Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, when Jews fast and spend the day in synagogue. So I've also asked my Times colleagues not to work then. And I will be mightily offended if I learn afterwards that any of them have been eating.

You might not think I am being serious. But if I was Head of Democratic Services at Tower Hamlets Council in East London, I would be. Last week John Williams e-mailed each of the borough's 51 councillors with a similar instruction.

For the duration of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month, they are, he told them - every one of them, Muslim, Catholic, Jew or atheist - to behave during council meetings as strict Muslims. They are not to eat or drink; they are to break for Muslim prayers; they are to do as they are ordered by the Muslim religion.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article4647386.ece

msr

I hope he was roundly told what to do, unless he is going to do the same for all other religious festivals.

I don't suppose anyone will stand up to him.

B

BambiBasher

If this business of bringing your Sky Pixie to work catches on, I can see the Church of Satan really picking up some numbers: "Simpkins! What are you doing with that goat?"

Reading the article and not just the headline what he has said seems very reasonable to me.

Strict Muslims do not eat or drink between sunrise or sunset during Ramadan. Because sunset will fall during the meetings, there will be 45-minute adjournments so that councillors can break their fast and pray. And to make things easier, there will only be seven council meetings during the month.
He is just saying there will be a break so that Muslim councillors can eat and pray he's not saying everyone else must go to Muslim prayers. If there is food available then I'm sure that all councillors will be at the trough.

This is just another inaccurate headline which does nothing to try and promote harmony between different religions and everything to cause disharmony.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, indeed, speaking of goats - will they be celebrating the start of Ramadan with any particular activities, or the end for that matter?

Anyone going to be Halalised? Goat anyone?

Surely if John WIlliams was going to itemise all the religions: (quote) . . "every one of them, Muslim, Catholic, Jew or atheist" perhaps he should have suggested Christians, not just the Catholics.

Then again if he is going to offer instructions that we should all adhere to the various important days in the Muslim calander then what about all those days important to the other faiths? Mr Williams seems to be rather biased, does he, for example refrain from eating meat on a Friday or from working on the Sabath?

skinhead said:
Surely if John WIlliams was going to itemise all the religions: (quote) . . "every one of them, Muslim, Catholic, Jew or atheist" perhaps he should have suggested Christians, not just the Catholics.

Then again if he is going to offer instructions that we should all adhere to the various important days in the Muslim calander then what about all those days important to the other faiths? Mr Williams seems to be rather biased, does he, for example refrain from eating meat on a Friday or from working on the Sabath?
That would be a good one: Friday (Muslim) Saturday (Jew) Sunday (Christian) Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday (Scouse).

Feck them. Its Ramazan here on Wednesday - I intend to celebrate with a couple of pivos and some roast piggy!

Markintime said:
Reading the article and not just the headline what he has said seems very reasonable to me.

Strict Muslims do not eat or drink between sunrise or sunset during Ramadan. Because sunset will fall during the meetings, there will be 45-minute adjournments so that councillors can break their fast and pray. And to make things easier, there will only be seven council meetings during the month.
He is just saying there will be a break so that Muslim councillors can eat and pray he's not saying everyone else must go to Muslim prayers. If there is food available then I'm sure that all councillors will be at the trough.

This is just another inaccurate headline which does nothing to try and promote harmony between different religions and everything to cause disharmony.
Can't agree with you here. This policy may be well intentioned but completely misguided. Separating religion from state making it a strictly private matter would serve multi-religious societies much better in my view.

I get the impression that it is just another poorly read, inadequate, middle class liberal white guy presuming to speak for a minority without actually consulting them first.
It still doesn't stop him being a di**head though.

But the BNP say that the instruction came from the councils Muslim leaders. I'm not sure that they can be trusted as a reliable source though :/

Speedy said:
I get the impression that it is just another poorly read, inadequate, middle class liberal white guy presuming to speak for a minority without actually consulting them first.
It still doesn't stop him being a di**head though.
Agreed!

Surely the meetings could have been arranged around the prayer times - I wouldn't imagine prayers lasting 45 minutes though.

Better still cut the working day, as they do in ME, in order that the poor loves can conserve their strength.

I must say, Ramadan can be quite entertaining, watching these chaps go cold turkey because they can't drink coffee or smoke tabs, they tend to be a little tetchy to say the least.

oh and "Ramadan Mabrouk!"

badly worded hectoring email.
what it should have said extra food is laid on for Muslims to eat after sunset so keep you thieving mitts off and don't scoff the extra food like you did last year Gannet features not like you missed lunch is it. :twisted:
bye the way you should consider fasting not becuse you need to worship a god but you might lose some weight lardies :twisted:

or am I being too PC :?

D

Deleted 20555

I wish to know more of this Church of Satan business, are there orgies and is the whole goat sacrifice thing mandatory or optional?

I would find the biggest smelliest nastiest lump of pork to scoff and i dont mean ann widecombe either :twisted:
Nobody tells me what i can and cant put in my gob. :lick:

It sure would have been useful if Pollard had reprinted the original email he is referring to?

I suspect he didn't because it would have shot his piece full of holes.

Well done Stephen, and a nice footnote that should have gone in at the top, not the bottom.

But hey, you can't run an agenda, by starting with a clarification can you?

Where does the "Centre for the New Europe" get it's funding from anyway Mr. Pollard?