Compulsory fasting for all

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Sep 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Later this month it's Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. It's one of the holiest days of the Jewish calendar, so I'd be obliged, please, if you'd all stay at home, turn off the TV and refrain from your usual activities. Ten days after that it's Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, when Jews fast and spend the day in synagogue. So I've also asked my Times colleagues not to work then. And I will be mightily offended if I learn afterwards that any of them have been eating.

You might not think I am being serious. But if I was Head of Democratic Services at Tower Hamlets Council in East London, I would be. Last week John Williams e-mailed each of the borough's 51 councillors with a similar instruction.

For the duration of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month, they are, he told them - every one of them, Muslim, Catholic, Jew or atheist - to behave during council meetings as strict Muslims. They are not to eat or drink; they are to break for Muslim prayers; they are to do as they are ordered by the Muslim religion.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article4647386.ece

msr

2. I hope he was roundly told what to do, unless he is going to do the same for all other religious festivals.

I don't suppose anyone will stand up to him.

3. I thought the title said ******* :oops: Which is of course what said councillor needs.

4. If this business of bringing your Sky Pixie to work catches on, I can see the Church of Satan really picking up some numbers: "Simpkins! What are you doing with that goat?"

5. Reading the article and not just the headline what he has said seems very reasonable to me.

He is just saying there will be a break so that Muslim councillors can eat and pray he's not saying everyone else must go to Muslim prayers. If there is food available then I'm sure that all councillors will be at the trough.

This is just another inaccurate headline which does nothing to try and promote harmony between different religions and everything to cause disharmony.

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, indeed, speaking of goats - will they be celebrating the start of Ramadan with any particular activities, or the end for that matter?

Anyone going to be Halalised? Goat anyone?

7. Surely if John WIlliams was going to itemise all the religions: (quote) . . "every one of them, Muslim, Catholic, Jew or atheist" perhaps he should have suggested Christians, not just the Catholics.

Then again if he is going to offer instructions that we should all adhere to the various important days in the Muslim calander then what about all those days important to the other faiths? Mr Williams seems to be rather biased, does he, for example refrain from eating meat on a Friday or from working on the Sabath?

8. That would be a good one: Friday (Muslim) Saturday (Jew) Sunday (Christian) Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday (Scouse).

9. Feck them. Its Ramazan here on Wednesday - I intend to celebrate with a couple of pivos and some roast piggy!

10. Can't agree with you here. This policy may be well intentioned but completely misguided. Separating religion from state making it a strictly private matter would serve multi-religious societies much better in my view.

11. A taste of the dhimmitude our grand children will face when they are the minority?

12. And jeopardize interethnic relations you currently enjoy???!

13. Looks like the Home Office is already concerned with a projected worsening of inter-ethnic relations:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/2657335/Credit-crunch-could-lead-to-crime-wave-Home-Office-warns-Downing-Street.html

So fecking predictable.

14. I get the impression that it is just another poorly read, inadequate, middle class liberal white guy presuming to speak for a minority without actually consulting them first.
    It still doesn't stop him being a di**head though.

15. But the BNP say that the instruction came from the councils Muslim leaders. I'm not sure that they can be trusted as a reliable source though :/