Compulsory Employer Notification

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by scaryspice, Feb 5, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

This was announced very quietly.....

Anyone seen it? http://www.en.mod.uk/output/page196.asp

Comments anyone?

Personally my employer is well on board but I guess that's not the case for everyone??

Scary

2. I am sure that the average employer will be very supportive of it's employees being in the TA, think of all the advantages e.g. their employees dissapearing off to the desert sands for a sabbatical :lol:

3. I think compulsary notification is a good idea even if it means that some soldiers my be lost because of it.

Even now, is it fair for an employer to find out that you've in the TA when you turn up with your compulsory call up papers and you're off for 6 months? If he'd known your possible commitment then he could be pre-armed with the knowledge that a) it could happen, b) what he could do about it and c) what he would be entitled to if he went along with your commitment.

Knowledge dispels fear!

Another consideration is that TA units are now more likely to get deployed, as individuals and/or whole units and would your unit be FFE if half of them decide that they can't deploy because a) their boss has just found out that they were in the TA and can't spare them, b) are single parents and can't leave their kid/s c) decide that this commitment thing is fine for weekends but not for the real thing.

All three happened when our troop was called up for Op Telic (although I'm glad to say more for a) than for b) & c).) but we were able to do the job. We would however have been able to do the job a lot better with full troop strength!

As a footnote and to show the real commitment that was shown, many of our troop were not given any assurance from their german employers that their jobs were safe and some were even threatened with the sack just for turning up for the call up..... and they still went, were deployed and lost their jobs.

Makes you proud to be British!

4. Yes, there are leaflets going round the units as we speak explaining the new policy. You do have a right not to tell if you can bluff you case to you CO and you can also appeal their decision if you get overruled as well, but I'm sure for most it won't come to that.

Its probably only fair in the current climate of mobilisations that employers do know there's a chance you may be off at a moments notice...

5. What do you mean threatened? I did get sacked (buncha boxhead w*nkers) :evil: still on a good earner now :p :lol:

6. Scaryspice - there's a big poster up in my TAC and we were all shown a video and given leaflets the other evening. Hardly 'announced very quietly'! I'd chase your boss for info if I were you.

Suppose it's fair enough really. Can't really expect employers to support us if they think someone might turn up and announce that (a) they're in the TA and (b) off for x months all at the same time.

7. msr

msr LE

So what happens at a job interview: Can people be discriminated against for being in the TA?

If you tell a porky pie at the interview, I imagine that they will be able to sack you.

msr

8. At a job interview I think it would be best to be open an honest about being in the TA - it may even help you get the job. The thing is, if they're not happy at the interview, if its shift work, then you're not likely even to get the flexibility you need to knock off on certain weekends or trg nights . Would you want the job in the first place?

Before anyone leaps on me, I know its not always as simple as that, but if you've got the option to do so, why not shop round for a sympathetic employer? In the days of the National Employers Liason Committe (NELC), there used to be a register of TA friendly companies. Not sure if its Sabre that now runs this.

Not sure really what current employees who haven't told their bosses should do... depends from case to case I suppose.

9. Nowadays lots of job contracts say that you can't take another job without informing / getting approval from your employer. If this is the case and you don't tell them that you're in the TA you're in the s**t anyway.

10. Well yes, but if you worked as hard for him as you did for us I'm not surprised! :D You must have got through a Corps HQ's entitlment for pens, blueys and ink.... and your not even a clerk! 8O

Oh happy days :roll:

11. The MOD has no right to independently write to employers of TA soldiers. The only people happy about this will be employment lawyers.

What they should be doing is making it more attractive for employers to hire and retain TA soldiers. Bottom line is that they are doing the country and individual a favour and if the soldier is mobilised, the employer will suffer financially. Yet again, the onus is put on the soldier, whilst the MOD/ government does nothing in support.

For this to work, the TA needs a massive "rebranding" exercise to change the public perception of the organisation. I doubt that the MOD will do this.

£2,500 to find a temporary worker to cover the mobilised employer - what century is this from? Most agencies charge around 30% of starting salary.

What happens if we refuse to divulge information to the MOD?

Finally, yet another time wasting admin task. My guess is that databases will not be maintained and this thing will fizzle out within 12 months.

We are gonna lose thousands this year.

12. The MOD doesn't write independantly to your employer. As I understand it, the soldier provides the information on who their employer is and then it is your own CO who writes to your employer. I think its compulsory to provide the information, but as I stated in an earlier post on this board, there is an appeals process if you can prove that it would harm your employment if your employer was notified.

Oh yes and while it is against the law (Reserve Forces Act 1996) to sack employees who have been compulsorily mobilised, I understand that the fine is £1000. That's cheaper than arranging a redundancy package for most and a drop in the ocean even for small to mid-sized companies.

13. CO and/or MOD, won't make a diff to an HR type whose perception of the TA comes from childhood memories of "It ain't Half Hot Mum".

The key to the mobilisation question is changing the perception of middle management. call me cynical but most of the people I have worked for are more interested in their next pay rise, than backing an employee that has been mobilised.

Trying to keep your job these days is hard enough without this.

14. I think Kermit is right - you won't be allowed to join or reengage unless you give permission for your employer to be contacted, unless you've applied for an exemption.

15. We have had the SABRE brief so it has not come out that quietly.
    However we did learn that we are no longer in the T.A. but are now part of the Volunteer Reserve Forces (Now that did happen V quietly)
    All OK for MOD to get on it`s hobby horse about informing employers that you are in the T.A. but in response to a question posed at the SABRE briefing they went all sheepish when asked how we explain the soldier / employer relationship if we are called up as part of the Civil Contingency Reaction Force.
    Our understanding regarding CCRF is that you and your employer do not even have the limited legal protection provided if you are mobilised, am I missing something here, I thought we were supposed to be bringing the employer on side !