Compulsory Drug Tests for Drug Addicts with Kids

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Postie, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Absolutely not, this is a contravention of thier human rights.

0 vote(s)
  2. I agree the children should come first.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

I generally think the testing would be a good thing. I think it is about time that the rights of the children outweighed those of the parents to take drugs, however how long do you have to be clean before this stops?

Too Draconian? Discuss.
  2. If it's done in the right way, then yes.

However it could be the start of a slippery slope...
  3. As long as a proper process is followed - ie. the parents have been charged, tried and convicted of a drugs offence, or have referred themselves for treatment - then there is no problem with this excellent idea.

However, I suspect that the nanny state will want to introduce compulsory tests, particularly for the law abiding.

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear = b0llocks, prove it! :twisted:
  4. So when is this to apply to alchololic parents then? And what about parents addicted to proprietary downers like Valium? How about celeb parents stringing on Charlie?

Just another typical Phoney Tony "look what we're doing, but aren't" excercise, if you ask me.

5. Just another step on our way to becoming a nanny state - they should not test, as they could eventually test all parents as a result of function creep.
  6. Toughy this one.

Having seen some people who have both a drug habit (class A) and kids I would applaud this scheme to help rehabilitate user and get them to look after their own children and fulfil a useful position in society.

On the other hand I also can see this government completely taking this too far, and before you know it all normal law abiding citizens getting CDTd but not those people who actually need it, this would include so called A list celebs.

Basically after the introduction of speed cameras fiasco, who can remember the fears that were voiced that later came to reality even though the copper who introduced the cameras said they never would?

As has been said, this will be another "we're doing nothing fast and something never" scheme.

I think I will say, I agree with this and think it should go ahead. I am already randomly CDTd as a matter of course at work, so no biggy.
  7. Drug addicts should be given one chance at rehab, if they then carry on they should be neutered.
  8. how many times have you tried to give up something? just the once and succeeded every time? why should drug abusers be different.

that is not sticking up for them btw. just i know plenty of people who have tried dieting, giving up smoking etc, and they never succeed 1st time, so something as addictive as drugs is not easy to give up